What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Its 54 out now so I let the stove go cold this morning and let the heat pump cycle a little for the day. Expecting a low of 18 tonight so the stove will be fired back up this evening.

Down to 1 tonight with 2-4" forecast. Teens tomorrow, -11 tomorrow night, 1 Tuesday, -20 Tuesday night (northwoods). Oak in the Strattford II.

Scrounged around out in the campfire wood shed and found some oak which is helpful. Also a little ash and birch in there and a small hoard I had in the garage. Running low on softwood, so I tried burning some of the iffy hardwood from outside with it. Worked pretty well. Will be hauling more wood up next time I head home.

Congrats @Grizzerbear on your Chiefs win. What an awesome game to watch! Too bad my Packers laid a bit ugly egg last night...😭😭😭

Thanks. It was the best game I have ever seen in my life with no exaggeration. Both teams....just pure excellence. It was hard to see the pack lose in that environment the game was played in. I mean cold and snowy......that embodies green bay football. Sorry for your teams luck though.

Temps are trending down here...started running straight loads of locust yesterday...I am glad that I am setting on 20 cord of it because its habit forming...lol

Last edited:
Will be burning white oak, red oak, and honey locust for the next few days. Have quite a few ash trees moved to the wood lot to start bucking and splitting. I'm going to have to think about long term wood storage soon. Good problem to have I guess!

After letting the stove almost go.cold to get out some ash and a lot of (hot) coals (that I'll reuse later), I ran on a few small odds and ends, including an oak split that was too long and hence went in diagonally.

Reloaded now on the half-burned stuff. It was 34 and mostly sunny today, so I didn't need much heat.

Reload with oak and maple for overnight. 29 and lightly snowing now, going up to 35 tomorrow morning. Tomorrow a high of 41 (a low of 20, and then a cold day of 24 and low of 10 Wednesday. At least I'll have space in my stove for some good loading then.

A crisp -5f this morning. Load of elm and locust in the insert and pine in Myra for some quick heat and to burn down the coals from last night.

Was about 28 outside and 67 inside when I woke up so I threw in a big load of maple around 6:30 am. Going to hit 40 today so I'll likely let it go out this afternoon and give it a good cleaning as we have a cold snap coming in tomorrow. I want to have as much room for wood as possible! If I need more heat I have some too long stuff I'll throw in diagonally.

Guard dog is monitoring the front yard for activity:

20220125_083148.jpg

As I'm typing this the stove heat got him. It's the best sleep medicine:

16431182269357771093855257048726.jpg

We are looking at -1 tonight..the windchill is already -2..went through my locust stash and pulled out select 8 inch splits and crammed the stove full ...just about ready to dial it in for the night..

The maple and ash from yesterday evening 10.30 was done at 7.30 pm today. Yes, it was 41 F outside, so the stove didn't have to crank. I let it simmer expecting to use some of the solar electrons in the minisplit upstairs - but simmering ash and maple was enough..

I put two shorties on, running high, to make the box hot again as it was 35 out and we could use a boost.
Now I refilled with maple, ash, and two splits of oak. I think white oak, but I'm not sure. It'll be 21 for a low tonight, and only 26 tomorrow for the high.

I'm signing off as I don't feel good - shivers (while sitting in a 79 F stove room...), and dizzy when I move. So the stove will have to do the job until tomorrow morning. Sleep well all.

If you think you have a flu or something take a double dose of vitamin c and plenty of fluids and go to bed and keep warm and if you need some nutrition tomorrow and cannot cook get someone to buy you some ensure to keep your energy up--sleep well...keep warm and have hot tea too just for the liquid of it and heat feeling it gives...hope your okay stoveliker.. clancey