What is this? Can I stack it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Anybody know what sort of critter left this behind?

Found it when splitting a piece of red oak. Couldn't find anything alive. No holes to the outside found, so must have crawled down from another section.

It looks and feels like spray foam insulation.

Can I add this to the stacks, or is it going to hatch a million wood devouring critters?

wood white photo.JPGwwood white 2 photo.JPG

looks like white mold , look it up online , im not 100% sure what to do about it , but some other guys on here im sure will

Stack it on the top in the sun.

I'm sure its fine but I think i'd throw it into my burn pit pile.

The wife and kids used the burn pit last night and invited all of the kids over for smores!
My neighbors love my burn pit soo much that I sold them one of their own.....haha

Mold from being damp or wet.
No problem. scrape it off & keep it dry.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
mold
I've run across some inside a round of red oak while splitting
smelled pretty bad too

Leave it be. Just let it dry out in the sun. Better not to make it airborn.

Like others said, it is fine. We don't even scrape any off; just throw it into the stove. If we were closer, we'd just come and take it off your hands. :eek:

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
there's nothing I've come across on, in, above, below, attached to, or crawling across my wood that's kept me from stacking it and subsequently burning it :)

stink bugs really pizz me off though!

Reactions: ScotO
That is a mold that is common to oaks around here. I also see a yellow variation of that stuff......harmless, IMO.

When I get wood that is moldy I split it smaller than the rest of the wood. I figure it needs a little extra drying to get rid of the moisture, which will get rid of the mold.

Like Scotty, I've seen yellowish mold on red oak. It will burn fine when dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.