What to expect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Take a basic 12" table fan and set it on the kitchen floor, pointed toward the stove room. Run the fan on low speed. In about 30 minutes you should get a notable temperature increase in the kitchen.

For several years I put up 3M inside storm window shrink plastic. It's almost perfectly clear and worked very well. You apply it with their double-stick tape and then use a hair dryer to shrink the film tight.

I was able to test a fan yesterday, not a table fan like your suggestion but a tower fan. I put it on the floor pointing directly line of sight at the stove from about 10 feet into the kitchen. Unfortunately, after a hour, it made zero difference. I tried it at different spots in the kitchen and never got a temperature increase. I'll keep experimenting and report back if I get something to work.

I was able to test a fan yesterday, not a table fan like your suggestion but a tower fan. I put it on the floor pointing directly line of sight at the stove from about 10 feet into the kitchen. Unfortunately, after a hour, it made zero difference. I tried it at different spots in the kitchen and never got a temperature increase. I'll keep experimenting and report back if I get something to work.
Interesting. Wonder what is happening. Is the tower fan a circulator or one that blows only in the direction it points? Is there a high ceiling or loft in the stove room? As a test, in a chilly bedroom I was able to achieve a +5º increase in about 30 minutes.

Did you try it close to the kitchen door? I guess it's possible that being far from the door, the air flow got dispersed by the time got to the kitchen door..?

Interesting. Wonder what is happening. Is the tower fan a circulator or one that blows only in the direction it points? Is there a high ceiling or loft in the stove room? As a test, in a chilly bedroom I was able to achieve a +5º increase in about 30 minutes.

There's a 10ft peaked celing in the stove room that levels out to 8' before hitting the kitchen and the back section of the kitchen also has a 10' peaked celing.
I moved the fan to the hallway leading back to the bedrooms and that has helped a lot. The thermostat in my bedroom is set at 68 and it's been 70 back there since moving the fan. It was in the upper 20's last night and the back furnace never came on and that was running the stove low on a 12 hour reload.

Did you try it close to the kitchen door? I guess it's possible that being far from the door, the air flow got dispersed by the time got to the kitchen door..?

I did put it right in the doorway. I tried it in both directions blowing out and in.

Reactions: ddddddden
There's a 10ft peaked celing in the stove room that levels out to 8' before hitting the kitchen and the back section of the kitchen also has a 10' peaked celing.
I moved the fan to the hallway leading back to the bedrooms and that has helped a lot. The thermostat in my bedroom is set at 68 and it's been 70 back there since moving the fan. It was in the upper 20's last night and the back furnace never came on and that was running the stove low on a 12 hour reload.

I did put it right in the doorway. I tried it in both directions blowing out and in.

To be scientific, measure the temp at the peak of the kitchen ceiling. The warm air may be stratifying. Is there a ceiling fan in either room?

If you tape some tissue paper in the top of doorways to rooms where you are trying to move heat, you can get an idea of how much any changes you make are helping.

Reactions: ddddddden