What would you pay for a three to four year old Harman P43 in 100% working condition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ocelot

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I've been looking at a couple used Harmans and not sure what a good price is. I already missed out on a steal of a deal for an XXV in perfect condition for $600, missed it on marketplace by less than an hour before it was snapped up.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at a P43 that was installed new 3 years ago nothing known wrong with it and others come up for sale fairly regularly, but I'm not sure how much is a good deal versus too much. The P43 new can be found brand new for around $3200 -$3300 from what I've seen. Is there an age where they sell used for around 50% of new as long as functional? Less than that?

Looking for some guidance on what to offer when I see them. I would overhaul any I get since the heating season is so far off.

Any photos of it you can post will help...they pop up regularly over the summer, last year I picked up a near perfect P61 for $200 because it wasn’t hooked up properly or maintained.

Reactions: Don2222
I've been looking at a couple used Harmans and not sure what a good price is. I already missed out on a steal of a deal for an XXV in perfect condition for $600, missed it on marketplace by less than an hour before it was snapped up.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at a P43 that was installed new 3 years ago nothing known wrong with it and others come up for sale fairly regularly, but I'm not sure how much is a good deal versus too much. The P43 new can be found brand new for around $3200 -$3300 from what I've seen. Is there an age where they sell used for around 50% of new as long as functional? Less than that?

Looking for some guidance on what to offer when I see them. I would overhaul any I get since the heating season is so far off.

50% of the new price would be reasonable but there are occasionally bargains out there.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Don't work for me, has to be a corn burner.

I bought our 3yr old XXV off Craigslist for $2400. It had been used only one season. This was about 4yrs ago.

Any photos of it you can post will help...they pop up regularly over the summer, last year I picked up a near perfect P61 for $200 because it wasn’t hooked up properly or maintained.
Owning a P61 since new . That was heck of a bargain by far.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Owning a P61 since new . That was heck of a bargain by far.
Here is the thread and photos of it

Reactions: Tonyray
This will be a big change from my old Englander EP25

I bought the P43 and ended up paying $2000 which included a whole bunch of brand new 3" Duravent pipe. There were a couple each of 36", 12", elbows, 45's, and a new horizontal cap and brackets. My current vent is over 10 years old and since I decided to move it for the Harman rather than try to adapt it to the old location, I used the new stuff.

The stove is in excellent condition with the stainless trim kit and heat shields. It couldn't have been used for much more than a little supplemental heat, and I doubt anywhere near every day. The burn pot after cleaning doesn't looked very used and is even kind of shiny around the area with the holes. the holes still have sharp edges and not a single crack starting anywhere between the holes. I tore it down to clean and inspect and the auger tube and auger is still shiny except for the last inch and that only had some dark discoloration with no build up at all. The only thing is that the fines box was very full.

Heat exchangers and inside the rest of the burn area looks great too.
There was a small amount of rust on the top where it looks like something had been sitting on it (steam pot?) and a tiny bit of dusty rust on the sides, so I smoothed it out and painted with Stove Bright satin black.

While I had it torn apart to clean and inspect, I threw in a new igniter and ESP (the old one tested fine, but was bent a little) for good measure and I'll keep the old ones as emergency spares. Both fans and the auger motor are smooth with no bearing noise. I originally thought about replacing the combustion motor and keeping the old one as a spare since I like having spare parts for winter, but it's so smooth and quiet I think I'll just leave it. I'll have to think about it.

Reactions: Washed-Up