Whats everyone burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason H

Oct 9, 2020
Hudson, Quebec
Just wondering what everyone's burning this year and what they wish they were burning.

I cut and split 10 face cords for this season that I get for next to nothing when an arborist is cutting down trees in my neighborhood. Mostly ash. It readily available since the emerald ash beetle is killing all the trees. I find it great wood to burn after only one summer if seasoning, but like it's name suggests, it turns everything to ash and doesn't produce coals for a relight. Wish I had more cherry and birch this year.

Reactions: Lizzinator
I have a mix. A bunch of maple that is very well seasoned (15 to 18%) but it’s all cut rather short, 14 to 16” lengths. And then I have some 18” lengths of larger oak splits that are more like 20 to 23%. I find mixing the two works great. At night if I get one or two of the Oak splits in there I can get red coals in the morning. I’m finding the oak lasts much longer in the stove.

Mostly Honey Locust, some Mulberry, and Hedge/Osage Orange sparingly. Honey Locust is fun (poked myself in the butt crouching down to make a cut with the saw) but it's fantastic firewood.

20211031_165257.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Tjm and clancey
Electrons right now. It was a mild October and early November. The heat pump is easily heating the house right now. Temps are supposed to drop with a new system coming in this weekend. I will be burning a mix of random uglies, madrone, cherry, eucalyptus, you name it.

Reactions: wjohn and tabner
Pine, Birch, some Spruce and a small amount of Tamarack. About 5 cords worth, should just get us through the winter.

Someday I'd like to get my hands on the other hardwoods to try, but none of them grow here so that could be a challenge. For next year I think I might get some trembling aspen, I like to mix it with Pine or Birch, seems to help cut down on the amount of soot produced.

Red oak. After seasoning over the summer fresh split faces are coming in about 15% on my General moisture meter. Big difference between 15% this year and 30% last year. I have my wood stacked in full sun and full wind exposure. Not the prettiest location for curb appeal and not the prettiest wood pile here, but a great place to dry. Plus this is the Ozarks, and we here ain't too worried about curb appeal :p

First fire only 2 Days ago. Early Season Burning - The chunks, funky stuff on top of the piles and what's left in the indoor wood room before it gets reloaded. My piles are Mostly oak, my favorite by far here in NJ. My farmer buddy calls it "The King".

Reactions: ozarkoak
Mostly beech, red oak and a little bit of ash. I have about five cords that has close to two years of seasoning, and I usually only burn about three. I have another four cords that was cut/split last spring, so I probably will only need to add a couple of cords in the spring.

Reactions: all night moe
I just switched on the boiler yesterday as my minisplt was starting to have a tough time keeping up overnight. I loaded up my bulkhead yesterday with two year old beech. I had built a base for 500 gallon water tank to get it elevated up off the ground and wanted it stable so rather than splitting the wood into pie shaped splits, I split into flat slabs. My boiler seems to love it. I have cord of this flat slab beech and then switch to bit more conventionally split beech with maple mixed in.

On the menu for this season includes post oak, mockernut hickory, red maple, dogwood, bradford pear, beech, sweetgum, water oak, and white oak. I srounge, cut and split all my wood. I will burn between 1.5 to 2 cords this winter.

Post oak, red oak and a little bit of hickory. I'm burning what was left of last years stack right now which is mainly post oak with some red oak in it. I figure there is roughly a half cord left. After that's burned I will be burning mostly red oak from two giant trees that were pushed out for a power line 6 years ago.

Still waiting on our chimney liner to show up. :( The shipping crisis has caused multiple delays. But we have chestnut, pecan, fruit tree wood (not sure what it was when alive) and pine stored up for our first burn season in the new house with the new stove. While I'm waiting, I think I'm gonna use some pecan to smoke some pork today. Wish me luck. :D

Pine/spruce during the daytime, ash/elm/cherry at night. The past few days got in the low 20s, now it's back up a bit.

Got a bunch of mixed uglies that have ripened. Oak, pine, elm, locust, hickory. Then got lotsa elm. Will dig into the locust/hickory/maple/apple stacks this season also.

Burning a mix of ugly soft fruit and scut wood that’s was cut and lying around a couple of years. It’s dry and puts out good heat, just burns quickly and is ugly. Too ugly to stack into face cords. Would scare the neighbors. Need to regroup my old carcass and hunt down decent wood next year. Been slacking off since retirement. This slothness needs to end.

Ash, maple and cherry

Punks, chunks and uglies with a bit of eastern white pine thrown into the mix. It's been a remarkably mild fall so far.

This year I have close to 3 cords of ash, a mixed cord of pine, cherry and birch, and close to 2 cords of hickory. In waiting are 6 cords of bur oak, 2 cords silver maple, and 2 cords of honey locust. Right now the ash is getting burned at night, and pine during the day just to keep the stove going. Birch and cherry pieces if the daytime temps are cooler than 50.

Right now it's apple + silver maple. Then it'll be more soft maple and siberian elm. As we get into the coldest months I'll have ash and some locust. Definitely not my best stock of wood this year but everything is 3+ years seasoned so at least there's that.

Solar electrons thru the minisplit so far.
Starting in December (I hope, when daytime temps are around 40 or below), I have sassafras, pine, ash, (all about a face cord), three face cord of oak, and a few pieces of cedar.

I'll be mixing the pine, cedar, and sassafras (on the coals for reloads) with the oak (all the other volume in the firebox).

Various oak species, cherry and some black locust.

Maple right now, then later in the season when the temps really drop I add some maple to each load. Once we are winding things up I have some maple ;)