Whats everyone burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning 3 / 5 year seasoned oak. It's shoulder season, so I shouldn't be burning the good stuff. About 5 fires this year. Down to the high 20's the last 2 nights. Fire going now. I haven't cleaned the glass yet this year. And the glass is crystal clear. Just saying that for anyone new to burning and can't burn without blacking the glass.

Just wondering what everyone's burning this year and what they wish they were burning.

I cut and split 10 face cords for this season that I get for next to nothing when an arborist is cutting down trees in my neighborhood. Mostly ash. It readily available since the emerald ash beetle is killing all the trees. I find it great wood to burn after only one summer if seasoning, but like it's name suggests, it turns everything to ash and doesn't produce coals for a relight. Wish I had more cherry and birch this year.
Ash and cherry till it gets really cold , then maybe I break out the red oak at least 5 years young. if it gets below 5 degrees the black locust come out, actually with my stove I could burn anything and it would perform beautifully. I'm actually burning some yellow poplar now it it heats the house prefect , 28 degrees tonight.

Reactions: buc74
My yearly pallet of bio blocks. Usually last through mid December. Then start working on the 30 or so cords of red oak I have

Used to be mostly beech as that’s what most of our woods are but this year it’s about half ash from dyeing trees and walnut from a couple trees removed from pasture a few years ago and limb wood from having some harvested for sale. We go thru 12-18 fc / year but we’ll see if that changes with the new stove. Next few years will likely be 90% ash

I have ~2 cords of a mix of birch, ash, beech, maple and maybe hickory that's ready to burn this season. I have another 1.5 cords of red oak that's only 9 months seasoned that I'm saving for next year. I have rounds of maple, birch, and alder to split for next year.

Every year I burn whatever I can scrounge from around town/my property.

30+ year old hedge, lots of locust and a little elm. I'm not too keen on the elm but it makes heat I guess. It's close to 70 today so no burning.

What Evers is left over in the fire pit wheelbarrow stash. Then what ever is on top of the stack. I pulled 6 splits off the top today 4 different species could only ID the poplar and pine. It’s all dry so as Pete the cat would say “It’s allll goooodddd”.

Red oak, white oak, and hickory. Pretty much what I've always burned, and wish to burn. A good combination that will have our little slice of heaven on the hill smelling like a rib joint.

39º this morning so I loaded the stove full of mixed hardwoods. Amongst them were 2 thick eucalyptus branch logs. 3" and 5 or 6". Lit the fire on overnight coals around 6:30am. Once the eucalyptus started burning the flue temp shot up like a rocket. I had to damper all the way down. It's 8:15 pm now, and I think I will put some wood on for the night, the stovetop is still 250º and there are lots of coals.

I'm burning 3yo cut n split black walnut. I'm really surprised and pleased at how hot it burns. I have a line on some "seasoned" hickory and cherry that I hope to pick up in the next week. My walnut is about spent.

Reactions: Jason H
Still being shoulder season, (!!!) I’m still burning a mix of basswood and paper birch.

Reactions: Jason H
Mostly pine here, have about 2.5 cords for this season and another 6-8 cords in rounds I’ll split in the spring. About 1.5 cords of red elm that I’ll season until winter of 22 or 23. And I’ve got a face cord or so of mountain mahogany that I’ll squander until the coldest parts of the year (dec-feb).

Mostly pine here, have about 2.5 cords for this season and another 6-8 cords in rounds I’ll split in the spring. About 1.5 cords of red elm that I’ll season until winter of 22 or 23. And I’ve got a face cord or so of mountain mahogany that I’ll squander until the coldest parts of the year (dec-feb).
Never burnt mahogany, must be a nice hot burn!

Never burnt mahogany, must be a nice hot burn!
Yeah it’s the only natural hardwood I have. It’s a doozy, btu is 36.3 (calculated), one of the densest woods of North America, sinks in water etc. they use to use it to smelt ore in the earlier centuries.

Punks, chunks and uglies with a bit of eastern white pine thrown into the mix. It's been a remarkably mild fall so far.
Black birch, white oak, ash like most years. Got a couple of cords of sassafras from a neighbor after a storm last fall (2020) came through. Never burned it before so it will be interesting to see how it performs. Will most likely mix in with the higher BTU hardwoods.

I tested a batch of uglies last week, read 18% so its about a face cords worth of uglies - maple, ash, oak and some cherry then its my primo full stacks of ash, maple, oak and locust.

Olive which is all I have, had just one fire so far as temperature still ok inside.

ABC672BB-CF66-4BCF-999B-8C1C47EE7BB0.jpeg

I HAVE BURNED a Pacific Energy Summit starting my 11th year. I am on the third year after a replacement of the firebrick.

I burn mostly OAK, since I live on the coast of Maine, the burning season runs from September 15 to June.

Burning season isn't full on yet here. It's usually December-April. I have 5 cords of Madrone, Tan Oak, Live Oak, Bay and Eucalyptus (blue gum) split and stacked. That's two years worth for us. All from fallen or dead trees on our land.

Red cedar for the past week - not the best, but certainly not the worst...

The rest of the year will be all 4 year old red oak.

This morning . . . eastern white pine and some red maple uglies.