Whats everyone burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mostly Honey Locust, some Mulberry, and Hedge/Osage Orange sparingly. Honey Locust is fun (poked myself in the butt crouching down to make a cut with the saw) but it's fantastic firewood.

View attachment 284757

It's really good for firewood? I have a bunch of this stuff that I'd like to clear out. None of it is particularly big though.

It's been a while since I contributed to these pages, but I just found this poem going through papers from my folks - who passed quite some time ago. Cheers

"Ode for a Woodburner"

Beechwood fires are bright and clear.
If the logs are kept a year.

Chestnut's only good they say,
If for long it's laid away.

Birch and Fir burn too fast.
Blaze up bright and do not last.

Elm wood burns like a churchyard mould.
Even the very flames are cold.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke.
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.

Apple wood will scent your room.
With an incense like perfume.

Oak and maple, if dry and old,
Keeps away the winter's cold.

But ash wood wet, and ash wood dry,
A king shall warm his slippers by.

-Anonymous

Reactions: jotulf45v2
Burning all the uglies I can find throughout my pile than moving to seasoned maple and some locust.

It's really good for firewood? I have a bunch of this stuff that I'd like to clear out. None of it is particularly big though.
Yes. It may not be worth dealing with the thorns on some of the very small stuff but the amount of thorns varies quite a bit. It's right in with the different oak species as far as BTUs/cord. I grew up burning mostly red, white, and black oaks; sugar maple; shagbark and shellbark hickories; American and slippery elm, and white and green ash. Honestly I really like the honey locust. Mine holds coals well, catches fire fairly easily, and doesn't leave a ton of ash.

I definitely wouldn't just pitch it into a bonfire unless the pieces are too small to bother with. I knock all the thorns off down in the woods because I've flatted enough mower and tractor tires with them and don't want the thorns to leave the wooded area.