What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Someone is drinking all those IPAs ,they dominate the market.

... and Milli Vanilli’s “Girl, You Know It’s True” sold about 14x more albums than Yes’s most influential “Close to the Edge”. Popularity is a very poor indicator of quality and taste.

Three out of the top 4 selling brands of beer in the country are lite beer. Budweiser is the only non-lite (though it's still pretty light).

Three out of the top 4 selling brands of beer in the country are lite beer. Budweiser is the only non-lite (though it's still pretty light).
Like ashful said ,no accounting for taste or quality. After you drink the "good stuff" for awhile, these lite beer,s taste like watered down sour mash. IMO. You dont see many serious craft brewers brewing "lite" beer.

Yes, the lightest beer I make is a wheat beer. I also have made a raspberry wheat beer. These are refreshing in hot weather when you just want something to cool you down and slake your thirst. Typically they come in at around 5% abv.

Actually a type of light beer has a long tradition. Back in the days when water quality was dubious in some locations folks drank light beer and some ciders all day long starting with breakfast. The light beer was made from the spent grains from the first mash. This had a much lower alcohol content, but because it had been boiled for an hour it was bacteria free.

Actually a type of light beer has a long tradition. Back in the days when water quality was dubious in some locations folks drank light beer and some ciders all day long starting with breakfast. The light beer was made from the spent grains from the first mash. This had a much lower alcohol content, but because it had been boiled for an hour it was bacteria free.
Winston Churchill was well known for starting each day with a Scotch and water. He’d just keep adding water to it all day, until he recharged at dinner.

Have one Dogfish 90 left so its been awhile .,pairing it with softshell crabs,cod loins and clamstrips. dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa.jpg Very little bitterness to this beer ,not sure why as its an IPA Supposedly. May be why i like it. Must be the Hop variety. 9%$ ABV so definitely not a "lite" beer.

Last edited:
It's an Imperial or double-IPA. Done right these can be very nice. Can you get Slack Tide's Double Header in your area? That is supposed to be a pretty good, but I haven't seen it locally yet.

It's an Imperial or double-IPA. Done right these can be very nice. Can you get Slack Tide's Double Header in your area? That is supposed to be a pretty good, but I haven't seen it locally yet.
I havnt seen that one around here. IPAs brewed with Simcoe Hops(Weyerbacher) are good too. I only like 2 IPAs Dogfish and Weyerbacher. Normally i avoid the rest and there are so many.

Without checking the internet, name the beer for this jingo -

It's not bitter, it's not sweet
It's the dry flavor treat...

Last edited:
i've heard of IPA but tried a IPL last night. i've come to the conclusion that all these ipa or L have so much hop in them they all taste the same. can't tatse anything but hop. something is way out of balance and that's besides tatse buds

jack-s-abby-brewing-hoponius-union-ipl-wicked-hoppy-lager-beer-massachusetts-usa-10719495.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: woodey
Budweiser. Nuff said. Beer snobs. ;lol

Reactions: Ashful and bholler
i've heard of IPA but tried a IPL last night. i've come to the conclusion that all these ipa or L have so much hop in them they all taste the same. can't tatse anything but hop. something is way out of balance and that's besides tatse buds

View attachment 228548
Just keep drinking it till you beat your tastebuds into submission and you will like it. Lol

Reactions: Ashful
I have never been a bitter, hoppy IPA fan. Recently though I've tried a few micro brew IPA's that have been really good, flavorful with a grapefruit hit at the end but not bitter at all like others I've tried.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I have never been a bitter, hoppy IPA fan. Recently though I've tried a few micro brew IPA's that have been really good, flavorful with a grapefruit hit at the end but not bitter at all like others I've tried.
It's all in the brewing, hop choice and when the hops are introduced to the wort.

I once described San Miguel Beer as being too bitter to a filipino (Its breewed in the Philippines) He said "thats what i like about it" So its all in the taste buds of the beholder.

Tonight test drive is Barrel Runner from FoundersBarrelRunner_Cluster_2018.jpg Very similar to Dogfish 90. 11.1ABV I can smell and taste the alcohol in this bad boy. Its above avg. Orange color beer. A little hoppy for my taste. But ill have another!!!!

Last edited:
Son was drinking a pale ale tonight that was hoppier than many IPAs. The west coast breweries tend to go overboard here. Fortunately some of them are real masters and make some outstanding brews.

Son was drinking a pale ale tonight that was hoppier than many IPAs. The west coast breweries tend to go overboard here. Fortunately some of them are real masters and make some outstanding brews.
Got to say Begreen those Simcoe hops are the best,any thing with those hops is good. I think they are from out your way.

Yep, good smooth hops. They came from Yakima.

... and Milli Vanilli’s “Girl, You Know It’s True” sold about 14x more albums than Yes’s most influential “Close to the Edge”. Popularity is a very poor indicator of quality and taste.

All this IPA craziness ... just blame it on the rain .....

All this IPA craziness ... just blame it on the rain .....
That won't work. The state that provide most of the hops to the country is in a drought.