What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No head, your glass might not be clean. European beers are poured with 2 fingers of foam.

In Munich, yes... but that varies a lot, country to country (or even by state in Germany). Remember, I spend a week in a different Euro country every year, and used to live part time in Germany.

But in the end, I’m American, and I dislike foam. I pour down the edge of the glass to minimize it. This is why I will never appreciate the Amsterdam sloppy pour and knife routine.

In Munich, yes... but that varies a lot, country to country (or even by state in Germany). Remember, I spend a week in a different Euro country every year, and used to live part time in Germany.

But in the end, I’m American, and I dislike foam. I pour down the edge of the glass to minimize it. This is why I will never appreciate the Amsterdam sloppy pour and knife routine.

I am an American as well. Lived in Europe for 32 years. A bit foam on beer is part of the flavor experience.

Oh, I thought you were born over there, and just moved here in later years?

i wanted to zoom in but didn't know how. what is it? love octoberfest

Last edited:
Hacker-Pschorr. Double click on the image to make it full size.
Here's the beer - https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/76/234/

You got it. I picked up a case of that, and a case of Spaten Oktoberfest, two of my favorite Marzens.

Also grabbed a sixer of Evil Genius Trick or Treat chocolate pumpkin porter. I doubt it will be great, but it was just too interestering to not try it.

Spaten is my favourite too. Also Löwenbrau makes good marzen, if you can find it.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
40607187_10214885352825181_1709265463319461888_n.jpg Hmm,,,,, whats for breakfast?

what's for breakfast?????? hair of the dog that bit you;lol

41135234_2239240309439083_8376144408633933824_n.jpg This just looks incredible. I havnt tried this yet but ill be looking for some to celebrate a milestone soon. This place (Turkey hill Brewery BLoomsburg Pa. )is only a few miles from me so ill be visiting there soon.

Saw this pair the other day. Looks intriguing. Fremont makes some very good brews. I just haven't convinced myself to pay as much for an ale as I would for a bottle of wine. Though at 13 and 14.5% abv it might as well be wine.
20180831_140700web.jpg
https://www.fremontbrewing.com/bbomb/

Saw this pair the other day. Looks intriguing. Fremont makes some very good brews. I just haven't convinced myself to pay as much for an ale as I would for a bottle of wine. Though at 13 and 14.5% abv it might as well be wine.
View attachment 229406
Absolutely, you need to pay for good ale. Its not easy to brew the good stuff ,and expensive too. I find a good brew far more interesting and enjoyable than any wine.IMO. Im sure the wine drinkers would disagree. That said the wife is the wine drinker. Most iv paid so far is $10 a bottle (12 oz) for beer ,which was 18% ABV. About the same as paying $20 for a 25oz bottle

Last edited:
View attachment 229406
My general pricing, here:

Any decent all-barley beer: $45/case
Belgian dubbels: $60 - $75/case
Belgian trippels: $110 - $130/case
Belgian Quads: $130/case
Barrel aged anything: $200 - $250/case

A "case" can be 24 x 12oz or 12 x 25 oz. The single bottle price tends to be a 20% markup on the case price, so I'm used to paying $12 for a single 25 oz. Belgian trippel, or $20 for a barrel aged 25 oz. bottle. Around here, most single-bottle sales are 25 oz., most 4-pack or 6-pack sales are 12 oz. bottles.

Then the pricing is not out of line. I have never paid over $20 for a bottle of beer. Probably never will. But I know what to ask for my birthday coming up. :)

Then the pricing is not out of line. I have never paid over $20 for a bottle of beer. Probably never will. But I know what to ask for my birthday coming up. :)
Yeah, too spendy for daily use, but I'll grab one a few times per year. My favorite in that class are:

Hardywood barrel-aged Grand Cru
Allagash Curieux
Boulevard Rye on Rye on Rye
Fegley's Barrel-aged Rude Elf (so far, released only once in 2015, using 2014 stock... but I expect they'll do it again)
Freewill Brown Beard (probably only available around PA)
Sierra Nevada (yeah... no kidding!) barrel-aged Ovila Quad

The Curieux and Rye on Rye on Rye are the only two from this group that I get on a regular basis. The rest can be pretty hard to find. The SN Ovila and Hardywood brews can be found in non-barrel-aged version on any beer shop's shelves, but the barrel-aged versions are a rare find.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Great as gifts for those who already have everything they need. An endless field of choices. Cant take it with you BG, so you may as well drink it here.

Yeah, too spendy for daily use, but I'll grab one a few times per year. My favorite in that class are:
The Curieux and Rye on Rye on Rye are the only two from this group that I get on a regular basis. The rest can be pretty hard to find. The SN Ovila and Hardywood brews can be found in non-barrel-aged version on any beer shop's shelves, but the barrel-aged versions are a rare find.
Almost scored some Curieux from a friend coming to visit from KoP this weekend but had to postpone. Im eager to try everything from this brewer. I even like the allagash white, it may be an IPA, but its a damn good IPA. The triple is worth picking up by the case if i can find it.