When’s your first fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First fire this afternoon - 11/1 (All Saints Day). Started warm (53) in morning but dropped all day and windy, with overnight forecast low of 27. Burning shorts and uglies (bur oak, silver maple and hickory).
Tested the gas furnace the night before.

This may be the dumbest question ever but I’ve been staring at my wood shed and stove all summer and it’s that time of year to start getting ready haha. We’ve had some cool nights and the wife and kids always say “let’s start a fire”! Obviously it’s too early, but what’s your sign for starting it up??? My parents heated with wood for as long as I can remember and my dad would always say have enough wood ready to burn wood so on a chilly October day you can have a fire and not worry about your supply in the spring. I have plenty of seasoned wood and I do love the stove. I do not love a 100Deg house though ha!
I'm a bit stingy with wood so tonight was my first "real" burn. High winds and snow flurries beg for a toasty wood burner to enjoy.

First fire of this season last night; low of 28f, but back into the 40-50s overnight this coming week. We’re weekend burners since someone is home, but I’m off today so I reloaded this morning.

October 29. Dave T.

Meant to post this a few wks ago, but it was my first fire with my “new” stove.
394E3DCD-3C57-4891-B45C-EBEAC81570B4.jpeg