Where did we leave off with BK gaskets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
I recall a convo on here a few years back of someone with a smoke smell and BK offered a new high density gasket for the door. I’m going to replace my door gasket this season at some point and figure if I can get the best, it will be worth the extra money. I have the usual grey-ish looking gasket, slight odor on days the draft isn’t the strongest. Was this gasket experimental or did it ever make it to market? A quick search on here didn’t reveal much.
Thanks,
DH

Definitely get the OEM gasket.

Definitely get the OEM gasket.
yes, but which oem gasket? The ashford had some upgraded gaskets released to address the smoke leakage issue. When you buy oem are you getting the old one or the new one or must you ask?

Yeah! Ashford had the issue? I couldn’t find much info on it, I don’t even know if that gasket was released for sale and if they have proper size for my stove. Any idea what the Ashford uses?

Since the gaskets are high density anyway, its important to remember when replacing it, to clean out the door channel all the way and when installing the new gasket, to more or less lay it in, do not put strain on the gasket, any stretching will cause thinning and that will take away from the density, also roll the corners of the door so the gasket doesnt twist.

Reactions: Highbeam
Since the gaskets are high density anyway, its important to remember when replacing it, to clean out the door channel all the way and when installing the new gasket, to more or less lay it in, do not put strain on the gasket, any stretching will cause thinning and that will take away from the density, also roll the corners of the door so the gasket doesnt twist.
And don’t skimp on the RTV!

@BKVP, any thing better than the usual grey rope the stoves ship with? I wouldn’t mind going with “the best” if there was a alternative. Thanks!

We never used an alternate gasket in production. We only sent the alternate, larger diameter gasket, to a handful of folks that had smoke smell issues on the AF30.1

PM me your contact info please.

BKVP