Who else is burning tonight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done for the year. But if I hadn't moved my office upstairs out of the basement for the winter I would still be burning down there into June like I had to last year.

Saved me a good bit of wood doing that this year too.

On the 27th of May 2009 - approx 8:15- S.O says: "wow, its getting chilly in here, should I turn on the furnace?" Jags response: "I ain't out of firewood, I'll build a small one".

At the end of freaking May. And I was darn glad by morning time that I did. Jeesh.

Fired the Englander up last night as well.....was cold, rainy and just plain raw out. In no time had the house up to a nice steady 73F. Shut the TV off, sat on the couch and stared at the flames until bed time. Not a bad evening at all.

I've got to admit its wierd to still be burning on occation at the end of May. Only burnt until the end of April last season.

A carbon copy of yesterday's weather today. Time to get a fire goin', I guess. I don't care if it's the end of May, it's damned cold outside and I have no intention of being uncomfortable inside!

It's been a long time since I had a fire on and will be a long time before there is another.

Yup: I just fired up the Regency an hour ago. I was resisting up till tonight. Nice and toasty now.....

I hope you all know Iam recording theses statements about burning in the end of May for future references to sarcasm of the weather up north. :p
N of 60

north of 60 said:
I hope you all know Iam recording theses statements about burning in the end of May for future references to sarcasm of the weather up north. :p
N of 60

It is 71 degrees and drizzling rain outside, 74 in the house, and I haven't torched a stick of wood in a couple of weeks. I ain't gonna stop giving you grief for living in that icebox. :lol:

Was this the Thursday? Or is summer next Thursday? :coolsmirk:

Just fired up. 50* and droppin, with a cold drizzle. Furnace kicking on and off...enough of that. This is bleepin ridiculous!

BrotherBart said:
... if I hadn't moved my office upstairs out of the basement for the winter I would still be burning down there into June like I had to last year.

Saved me a good bit of wood doing that this year too.
Yes indeed. Now that I have become a wood burner, I have moved up out of our downstairs (mostly below grade) and taken up residence on the main floor for the winter. I let it settle to its natural temperature down there, which runs anywhere between about 50-55 deg F all winter. In a week or two, the reverse- I migrate downstairs for the summer, to cooler quarters. I have saved a ton of money on my electric since I stopped running an oil boiler, cut way down on hot water use, and most important, stopped wasting electricity space heating the basement. My electric bill has been cut in half or more, some months.

north of 60 said:
Time for ya all to move north. :lol:

If I could find a good paying GIS position I'd move north in a heartbeat! As it is I have to drive an hour south each day just to go to work.....then an hour back home.

Had another fire last night by the way. :)

Ya know - I had to fire up the oil today. Was sure I wouldn't do it, but...

I would have started a fire but I already cleaned out the stove (shop vac and all) to move it and don't want to go through that again. I was just sure we were past heating season! House was down to 60 this morning... enough was enough. Ug.

Slow1 said:
Ya know - I had to fire up the oil today...
We're on natural gas here and the furnace still fires up every night. Before I quit burning wood, I was using up a little bit of Aspen that I had. That Aspen is terrible for ashes, just like talcum powder. The wife got fed up with the ashes all over the house, and decreed no more burning.

I wouldn't mind putting on a fire tonight as the weather guessers say maybe an inch of snow and some rain to boot.

I could make a legit case for turning on the A/C today and for the next few days but we are just as ornery about holding off on that as folks in colder country are about firing up the stove in the fall. We won't hesitate to start burning in the fall but hold out as long as we can on the A/C. We have goofy Spring every year. One day the stove is going and the next day it is shut down and the A/C is on for the rest of the summer. This year it has been pouring rain for weeks so it has moderated the temps a little. But I would settle for dry and cold or dry and hot. Just as long as this damned rain would stop. Year before last they were crying here about drought. Every since then it has been flooding. I gave up waiting and cut wood in the rain last year and started back doing it in the rain yesterday.

I am tempted to pull the trigger again & fire her up (I can not believe it!). They're calling for low 50s tomorrow & rain. It is 64 in the house right now but the family is complaining......they're not used to wearing anything else but shorts & t-shirts while in the house all year long :)

Still burning here, got down to 27 according to my thermometer last night, supposed to be 32 tonight (39 right now) so I will load it up again before I go to bed. Been a cold spring

Mike

Diabel said:
I am tempted to pull the trigger again & fire her up (I can not believe it!). They're calling for low 50s tomorrow & rain. It is 64 in the house right now but the family is complaining......they're not used to wearing anything else but shorts & t-shirts while in the house all year long :)

Fire that sucker up!

BrotherBart said:
Diabel said:

Fire that sucker up!

Good call!

Man, the minute you fire a wood stove up the chill just goes away....I LOVE WOOD HEAT :)

What ever we suffered in "Juneuary" last year has been reversed this year. We are having a great sunny spell. The only burning I've done in a couple weeks has been outdoors. It gets down to around 50 at night, but we just close up the windows and the daytime solar gain keeps it comfortable. The gardens are loving it

70's-80's daytime, 40's nightime. Windows open 24 hours. Ceiling fans reversed to "down". I think spring's here...a good bit earlier than last year. Haven't burned for nearly three weeks or so. Rick

fossil said:
70's-80's daytime, 40's nightime. Windows open 24 hours. Ceiling fans reversed to "down". I think spring's here...a good bit earlier than last year. Haven't burned for nearly three weeks or so. Rick

Sure ya don't wanna come back Rick? Pouring rain goes on and on. May see a few days of sun for Monday and Tuesday before the next thunderstorms.

Status
Not open for further replies.