Who here Makes Their Own Firewood related stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would firewood count as firewood related stuff? I make that myself...

Reactions: bobdog2o02
I am currently taking a blacksmithing course. Shortish term plans include a pickaroon/hookaroon, maybe some tongs of some sort. I feel like my hands and forearms end up with most of the aches/stiffness.

Reactions: BobUrban
I feel like my hands and forearms end up with most of the aches/stiffness.

Gotta watch that AP. Not everyone has a body that can handle the hammering, just like not everybody can throw like Brett Farve for that many years.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Gotta watch that AP. Not everyone has a body that can handle the hammering, just like not everybody can throw like Brett Farve for that many years.
I mean from doing firewood stuff- hoping a couple of simple tools will help out (lots of people rave about hook/pickaroons in this respect)

I mean from doing firewood stuff- hoping a couple of simple tools will help out (lots of people rave about hook/pickaroons in this respect)

Ahhh...got it.

I love this thread....i have made absolutely nothing myself, but i am inspired now to give something a try...
Whats the worst that can happen? You move along to R1V2 (geek speak for the second version of the first release).

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Not everyone has a body that can handle the hammering, just like not everybody can throw like Brett Farve for that many years.
The older I get, the more I realize I am the "anti-Farve" ;lol;lol;lol

AP - the real fear is addiction. I am a bit obsessed with "all things iron" and hammering steel is crazy addictive. Have fun!

Poor photos - I will try to get better with outside lighting when it is finished but here is something I am finishing up for my Bear guides son. He is graduating this spring and my guide ask if I could whip something special up for him. The handle scales are moose antler from one my guide shot.

Attachments

• DSCF2349.JPG
    DSCF2349.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF2350.JPG
    DSCF2350.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
AP - the real fear I addiction. I am a bit obsessed with "all things iron" and hammering steel is crazy addictive. Have fun!
Only had a few classes so far. These guys do a great job. We are making our tools to learn the skills.

I really don't have time for another addiction, but I fear it's on the way.

Only had a few classes so far. These guys do a great job. We are making our tools to learn the skills.

You have got to come up to the MOFGA Commonground Fair ... I tell ya it's right up your alley.

I made this cutting rack to sort out the thinner branches. I made the legs removable for easier storage.

This log stand I made last year and it works well too.

Attachments

• 23092013511.jpg
    23092013511.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 20140414_172024.jpg
    20140414_172024.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20140414_172842.jpg
    20140414_172842.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: smokedragon
A folding sawbuck I made just a few days ago:

photo 1(2).JPG photo 2(2).JPG photo 3(2).JPG photo 4(2).JPG

Tell me about it.........That's why I don't want to see pictures like BobUrban's........

Pics of Bob's work are alternately inspirational or discouraging, as great art should be.

I have a friend that is going through the last stages of getting his full Master Bladesmith (Did the whole chopping a 2x4, standing rope, 90 degree bend thing already). He claims to be a poor general blacksmith, but had master Japanese sword makers stay at his house and do a full one month workshop. My goal is just to be a better general blacksmith than he is- then hopefully just trade for real knives. (here's the kitchen knives we had him make- don't remember what the 2 steels were that he uses when he makes Damascus)

1490793_10201205571363189_86020276_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags
And as I have mentioned before - I am just a hack and so humbled by your friends skill and attention to detail. Very cool stuff and a great website.

And as I have mentioned before - I am just a hack and so humbled by your friends skill and attention to detail. Very cool stuff and a great website.
You seem to seriously have the chops Bob (pun intended). It helps that he's full time at it.

I have a peavy that I made for rolling logs in the 30 to 40" range. I can post a picture when I get to my computer.

This is the peavey I made. It is from a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe used for plumbing that was just laying around doing nothing. The rest as some pieces of metal I already had.

The first pic is when I had just finished it.

IMG_1553.JPG

The second pic is on a 40" log. I broke the weld joints on the hook where it bends and had to reinforce them.
I can put all my weight behind it now.

011.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.