Who here Makes Their Own Firewood related stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Mag Craft, where did you get that wood from? Judging from you picture, there aren't any trees for about 100 miles from your stack.

Hey Mag Craft, where did you get that wood from? Judging from you picture, there aren't any trees for about 100 miles from your stack.

That is my place outside of town. It is about 32 miles from Cheyenne, that is where I scrounge a lot of my wood.

I am in the middle of the prairie.

It looks like you got all of it! :)

Reactions: infinitymike
Even with your cant hook, how on earth do you handle such large hunks of wood? Or cut them for that matter?

I would have to put a skidsteer on my list of needs if I handled stuff that big on a regular basis.

Even with your cant hook, how on earth do you handle such large hunks of wood? Or cut them for that matter?

I would have to put a skidsteer on my list of needs if I handled stuff that big on a regular basis.

Well I am 63 and do it all by hand. If you are careful those rounds can be rolled up a ramp and into my trailer.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Well I am 63 and do it all by hand. If you are careful those rounds can be rolled up a ramp and into my trailer.

I get log length or rounds like that too.
I know the feeling.
But I have a hydraulic splitter with a log lifter and you have 17 years on me:eek:

God Bless Ya!

The amount of time it would take me........I just don't have it. When the rounds get that big, they become too unruly. What do you estimate one of those suckers weighs, 500 lbs by my rough estimate. Just seems like a little too much to me. To each his own: If that was the only thing I had access to, I would find a way to load it and split it too. Good thing for me I get a chance at a little smaller stuff.

The amount of time it would take me........I just don't have it. When the rounds get that big, they become too unruly. What do you estimate one of those suckers weighs, 500 lbs by my rough estimate. Just seems like a little too much to me. To each his own: If that was the only thing I had access to, I would find a way to load it and split it too. Good thing for me I get a chance at a little smaller stuff.

Well I am retired and I can take my time with the wood. As far as splitting I will quarter those big rounds so I can lift them up on my splitter.

I have thought about welding a platform on my trailer and installing a winch and may have to someday but for now I will take the good exercise.

Well I am retired and I can take my time with the wood. As far as splitting I will quarter those big rounds so I can lift them up on my splitter.

Hey, wait a second, splitter?! You said you do it all by hand?

But I don't blame ya, having hydraulic is the only way.

The amount of time it would take me........I just don't have it.

If you have the proper equipment you would be amazed at just how fast those big rounds make a bunch of splits. I love playing with the big stuff.
easy1.jpg big1sm.jpg

That bucket load was from ONE round.

One more, just for giggles:
IMG00024sm.jpg

Hey, wait a second, splitter?! You said you do it all by hand?

I am sorry it was a mis-understanding. I do all the moving and lifting by hand but I use a hydraulic splitter for splitting.
Moving and lifting all that big stuff is enough exercise for me and splitting by hand. I would be to slow at that.

I've made some more tools to make my life easier. A cant hook, pickaroon and a bar clamp. I was amazed at the size logs I can roll over without even flexing the cant hook.

Attachments

• 20140613_162930.jpg
    20140613_162930.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20140613_163013.jpg
    20140613_163013.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Charlie2
Some stuff I made
Some stuff I made
That is out in the back 40. Gets mowed once per mo. (and the grandsons were 2 and 3 at the time - no blades for them._g)

Okay - the requested splitter pics.
Big boy:
View attachment 127424

And little boy (fast as heck too): Sloppy hoses were during the testing phase.
Splitter build can be seen here:https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jags-splitter-build-pic-heavy.83540/
View attachment 127425
the green one....does the rack lift w/hydro? that's a big boy to be splitting horizontal.....my back hurts just thinking about it

The lift is worked by a winch. A log lift and work tables make quick work of those big boys.
....nice......1/2 my backyard is full of rounds, a few that size , and boy oh boy does a log splitter sound good about now.....these wedges are getting pretty mushroomed, and are developing cracks.......not to mention the heat and mosquitos (plus i'm not the biggest fella,as you can tell from my pic.)

Warning - steel wedges that are mushroomed at the top are an accident waiting to happen. At some point the mushroomed steel may come off like shrapnel during a sledge blow. The same holds true for chisels. Take those things to a grinder and get that deformed steel off of them.

This has been a public announcement.

Warning - steel wedges that are mushroomed at the top are an accident waiting to happen. At some point the mushroomed steel may come off like shrapnel during a sledge blow. The same holds true for chisels. Take those things to a grinder and get that deformed steel off of them.

This has been a public announcement.
......yes, i did grind down 2 of them, the 3rd is very cracked and deformed and will take some time to grind off........i did read somewhere on here of a man who got hit with a projectile from a wedge that hit the femoral artery.....before that, i would never wear chaps while using a sledge/wedge.....i would wear safety glasses, but never even thought that something so serious could happen like that

well, i did alert you..... Eye injuries scare the *&^% out of me.....once, i was cleaning out a tool carry case and wasn't wearing glasses and a very very tiny piece of steel shaving went into my eye. But i didn't really notice until i got home and couldn't blink without searing pain, so i went to an eye doctor who had me put my head into a support and told me to stay absolutely still as she slowly pushed a large mounted needle into my eye....after that, she used a somewhat smaller needle to remove the steel, and then proceeded to scrape out the rust.......i said you mean rest right? she said no, i meant rust.......once a steel shaving gets into an eye, it starts rusting......I wear eye protection now

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.