Who knows pipe insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I bought some fiberglass pipe insulation off craigslist. It is the Owens corning 1-1/2" thick with the white cover on the outside. I got about 50' of 1-1/2" and 50' of 2" size.

My piping is 1-1/2" copper and 1-1/4" copper the insulation is big and has a air space. Should I cut it down to have it fit the pipe better? I thought I could use a table saw to cut a strip out of it length wise to make it fit better.

gg

Its sounds like you got the insulation that is for Iron Pipe size. As Frozen Canuck says, it would be better to use a knife. It will still not conform to the pipe shell properly. It will end up egg shaped and will look oval when you do up the but strap. It still better than no insulation but will leave some aesthetic issues. It is always easier to shell out under sized insulation than to cut down oversized. The smaller diameter of the pipe makes it difficult to follow the arch.
Time to stick your tongue out to the left and do the best you can. %-P
Good luck.

Yes, it is iron pipe size. I figured that I could make it work some how so I bought it. I will use the 2" in the area behind my tank it will never be seen. The 1-1/2" seems ok on the 1-1/2 copper I will use that in the boiler room.

So does the air space even matter if I didn't cut to fit snug?

gg

Wow I just looked it up on line that stuff is pretty pricey, about $17 - $19 a 3' section. I paid $50 for all of it, almost two full boxes. It is R7.5. I actually have 54' of one and 48 ' of the other.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00065925/k-G2463081?utm_source=google shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Feed&kw;={keyword}&gclid=CPin1YPu3qsCFdAEQAodKCgl_A

gg

Sounds like a good $$$ deal, think of it this way you have been well paid to take your time

You might want to try wraping a thin layer of normal fiberglass insul around the pipe first (to increase the OD) then apply what you bought

Worth a try IMO

Frozen Canuck said:
Sounds like a good $$$ deal, think of it this way you have been well paid to take your time

You might want to try wraping a thin layer of normal fiberglass insul around the pipe first (to increase the OD) then apply what you bought

Worth a try IMO

Good idea

gg

Frozen Canuck said:

Worth a try IMO

+2

Started covering the pipe in tank area today. Thanks for the idea to add insulation. I just cut some strips of fiberglass batts, pulled them apart and put the inside the piece before I put it on the pipe.

gg

Attachments

• pipeins2.jpeg
    pipeins2.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 198
  • pipeins.jpeg
    pipeins.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 207
I wonder if a person could make their own pipe insulation by wrapping and taping sized and cut lengths of standard fiberglass insulation around pipes. Maybe foil backed insulation taped lengthwise with the foil backed tape you use for sealing heat ducts. Just a thought. Anyone see an issue? It would probably be a lot cheaper than the prices Goosegunner mentioned above, although more work.

Mike

dogwood said:
I wonder if a person could make their own pipe insulation by wrapping and taping sized and cut lengths of standard fiberglass insulation around pipes. Maybe foil backed insulation taped lengthwise with the foil backed tape you use for sealing heat ducts. Just a thought. Anyone see an issue? It would probably be a lot cheaper than the prices Goosegunner mentioned above, although more work.

Mike

You definitly could. Lot of work though. I insulated all the piping for a school my brother and I plumbed. Yuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.