Why can't the free ever be easy work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Neighbor had two trees taken down a couple of days ago. Mine for the taking. Pretty big too, but why aren't the free trees ever 18" and about 100ft straight up? Why do they have to be mostly one giant crotch that is 3 feet through? and why is the straightest run in any substantial branch about 9 inches long before it makes a 45 degree turn?

Oh, the things we do as scroungers....

anymore I just noodle through any crouch or anything else that may cause problems down the line,because I am the end of the line. lol

smokinjay said:
anymore I just noodle through any crouch or anything else that may cause problems down the line,because I am the end of the line. lol

yeah I noodled a really big one for the first time the other day, and I now see why they call it "noodling" lol

Because if it was easy, it would get processed and sold. I love gnarly pieces when they burn. Twisted, wavy-grained wood burns longer.

I hear you this spring I went out to pu a tree and the guy says some of the family took some it that ok ? well when I went out the smallest piece was about 3' tall and 3' wide ! I had to split every one of the 9 giant rounds into at least 4 just to roll it onto the trailer

Rule # 1 with wood scavaging, the best wood goes first. If your late you get the rotted crotches.

gzecc said:
Rule # 1 with wood scavaging, the best wood goes first. If your late you get the rotted crotches.

lol

m0jumb0 said:
smokinjay said:

yeah I noodled a really big one for the first time the other day, and I now see why they call it "noodling" lol

yep I hear lol We call it HP baby! thats "horse power"

I hear ya - I'm still waiting for that one day when I get to cut a 'specimen' tree, actually yell 'Timberrrrrrr...' and watch it come crashing to the ground. Most everything I get into is already on the ground, half blown over or such a scraggly tree the 'felling' is more like getting it to tip at a 45º angle, cutting off a bunch of limbs and letting it fall a little closer to the ground, more limbs, closer, more limbs and it finally falls the last 4' to the ground.

cozy heat said:
I hear ya - I'm still waiting for that one day when I get to cut a 'specimen' tree, actually yell 'Timberrrrrrr...' and watch it come crashing to the ground. Most everything I get into is already on the ground, half blown over or such a scraggly tree the 'felling' is more like getting it to tip at a 45º angle, cutting off a bunch of limbs and letting it fall a little closer to the ground, more limbs, closer, more limbs and it finally falls the last 4' to the ground.

lol I am a little jumpy to yell anything until it hits the ground.

I like big wood . . . big wood = lots of wood . . . just a little more heavy lifting.

cozy heat said:

Sounds like me . . .

Seems like I either have days where the trees fall right where I want to go every time with no hang ups . . . or I get a day when I pinch the saw, hang up every other tree and question whether or not I will make it out of the woods alive and in one piece.

Yelling "Timber" is a lot of fun . . . not so fun when you get a hang up and yell "Timmmmmm-- oh crap!" ;) :)

The saying...
Nothing in life is free....
Think about how much work you've done for 'free' things the next time your politician says the word and you'll be aware of how much they lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.