Why do you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulBunyun

Oct 15, 2019
Michigan
I am new to the forum although I did lurk here a lot when researching my purchase of an insert. This place has been a wealth of knowledge in that aspect and a lot of you have helped me without knowing it. For the sake of getting to know the posters here I would like to know why you burn. Is it out of necessity? As in its the sole way you heat your house for whatever reason. Do you enjoy it? We all know its a lot of work. For me personally it really makes no financial sense for me to burn. I may "save" money on my heating bill but I have spent more money on everything that comes with burning (woodshed, upgraded saw, etc.) and it will take me a decade to recoup it (so the wife says). With that being said it is very nostalgic for me as my parents had a wood burner growing up. I get an amazing sense of accomplishment every time I light a fire and the heat comes spiting out. I feel that in today's age anything that requires a lot of work and you do on your own is a lost art. With that said why do you burn?

I am new to the forum although I did lurk here a lot when researching my purchase of an insert. This place has been a wealth of knowledge in that aspect and a lot of you have helped me without knowing it. For the sake of getting to know the posters here I would like to know why you burn. Is it out of necessity? As in its the sole way you heat your house for whatever reason. Do you enjoy it? We all know its a lot of work. For me personally it really makes no financial sense for me to burn. I may "save" money on my heating bill but I have spent more money on everything that comes with burning (woodshed, upgraded saw, etc.) and it will take me a decade to recoup it (so the wife says). With that being said it is very nostalgic for me as my parents had a wood burner growing up. I get an amazing sense of accomplishment every time I light a fire and the heat comes spiting out. I feel that in today's age anything that requires a lot of work and you do on your own is a lost art. With that said why do you burn?

I'm in the same boat as you, natural gas is far cheaper than to heat with wood. We are $10k into our wood stove, shed, splitter, and saw we purchased this fall, but for some reason the woodstove is now more entertaining than TV. Every house I grew up in as a kid had a woodstove, this house now feels like a home with one.

We also do it for the environmental aspects, and like going renewable when we can. Working in the oil and gas sector I see the huge tracts of land that are used for the drilling of wells, building of pipelines and facilities, access roads etc. We also realize the fact that oil and gas won't last forever and take some solace in reducing our dependence on a non-renewable resource.

Ive come to terms with the fact that Im just a pyromaniac at heart. We travel the world as business is booming but I can't wait to get back during the cold months to light a fire and watch it burn and appreciate the heat it makes.

I burn in order to save money, although as you mentioned, the spending ends up around the same when you take in to account the $ on equipment (Depending where you live and costs). The equipment has value though, and I'd rather keep that value for years to come rather than give it to the gas man. I also do it for security. If gas goes way up in price or is unavailable, no problem. Easy to process wood, not easy for a homeowner to head out back and gather a bunch of propane or NG.

It also has the health benefits of getting my butt out for some exercise, and nothing beats wood heat on a cold day.

Pretty much same reasons. No ng where i live....so it is a lot cheaper than electric. Also the power outages from ice storms are no cause for concern when you have a few years worth of wood in stock. My main reason though....being rewarded with the unequaled heat from a fire for the efforts spent working in the woods. Its just more appealing to me to see the fruits of my labor in flame than to give my money to a electric company for a service i cant control. And we are all a little bit caveman still am i right.:)

Reactions: moresnow
I started burning originally to keep my kitchen warm; it was a huge old two story house with high vaulted ceilings and kitchen on bottom floor. All the heat would rise up the center of the house/entry way and up stairs.

In my current house I am setting up the wood stove b/c of comfort first and cost second. It is hard to beat the heat a wood fired stove puts out. I am on propane with a 98% 2stage furnace but still cringe every time I hear the inducer motor spool up. Just got done with texturing and painting the wall so now I can start hooking the stove back up.

Stove and chimney paid for itself in two years.
The stove is back-up heat should the power go out in Winter. Although we could get by easily enough with just the generator. It's still nice to have both.
I'd have to have at least one chainsaw in the tool crib for blow downs as I live on a large treed lot.
So, we save money and the majority of it is either saved/invested or spent on traveling .

If I had to buy firewood, I'm not sure I'd bother although you do get used to the xtra warmth and comfort.

We have a large house and spent $4,600 last year in oil and pellets to heat only to 62 degrees. I'm $1,600 into the stove, chimney, saw, and accessories so far and managed to scrounge up/buy 6 cords of wood for $300. Another 10 cords sitting in trees which the neighbors took down. Keeping the house at 75 now with the stove and the furnace hasn't turned on yet. No NG here.

We also lose power a lot and it can be out for days at a time. Had a pipe burst last year. Not a problem now.

When I finally get my insert I will burn to save money. Propane is not that expensive but my family can blow through it pretty quick. Plus forced air heat is not the best. You feel warm when it's running but chilly when it is not regardless of room temperature. Also we tend to get a few power outages every year. Some lasting days. I often have to move my family because the house is too cold. With an insert and some wood I would be able to just stay at home.

I also like splitting wood and stacking it. I don't do 3-5 cords like many people here. But I will do a cord or so. It is a little exercise for me and a nice change of pace from my office job. I love being outside during the fall. I actually have a good deal on wood ($300 for 2+ cord delivered) but I still just split my own from trees that have fallen on my property or craigslist scores.

It’s all I know. It’s in my blood. Wife loves flames and heat. Cats and dog live for the stoves. Gives me purpose on cold mornings. Elevates my status within the local tribe. Of course it’s the Manly thing to do .
110% same here haha
whole family throughout burns wood, we run a sawmill so im constantly dealing with wood and we have so much woods to timber and its almost always firewood, hard to get many good saw logs. its in my blood for sure, and the big lab loves sleeping next to the stove as i love drinking a few brews next to it.

I spend $1000-$1500 on propane otherwise. But really to break-even or get ahead with wood isn't totally realistic, I know what you mean. $5500 for stove and liner, $660 for pro saw. I have a truck to transport wood, but when that goes and I want to buy a $3000 trailer the break-even will be even further out. It's a hobby, plain and simple. :)

Reactions: JohnDolz
I spend $1000-$1500 on propane otherwise. But really to break-even or get ahead with wood isn't totally realistic, I know what you mean. $5500 for stove and liner, $660 for pro saw. I have a truck to transport wood, but when that goes and I want to buy a $3000 trailer the break-even will be even further out. It's a hobby, plain and simple. :)
its free exercise too! haha

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Grew up scouting, camping, and being at the lake house a lot. I'll be saving money from the expensive gas prices and the wife now prefers the heat from the stove which is an added benefit. I also work in the city and like to feel a little off the grid and it gives me a good reason to hangout in the backyard getting some exercise and enjoy some quiet time.

Mostly cuz we like the wood heat feel, and it keeps me off my butt. I feel at some point we will be saving some money, I now only collect wood off our property and free from CL.

When I finally get my insert I will burn to save money. Propane is not that expensive but my family can blow through it pretty quick. Plus forced air heat is not the best. You feel warm when it's running but chilly when it is not regardless of room temperature. Also we tend to get a few power outages every year. Some lasting days. I often have to move my family because the house is too cold. With an insert and some wood I would be able to just stay at home.

I also like splitting wood and stacking it. I don't do 3-5 cords like many people here. But I will do a cord or so. It is a little exercise for me and a nice change of pace from my office job. I love being outside during the fall. I actually have a good deal on wood ($300 for 2+ cord delivered) but I still just split my own from trees that have fallen on my property or craigslist scores.

I just bought an insert and I cant wait to have it installed. However, I was wondering how the heat compares to that of a forced hot air system since when the fire is burning it will be warm but once it starts to die out and you are down to glowing coals, is it the same feeling as the forced air at that point or does the heat still permeate towards the end of the burn cycle?

I just bought an insert and I cant wait to have it installed. However, I was wondering how the heat compares to that of a forced hot air system since when the fire is burning it will be warm but once it starts to die out and you are down to glowing coals, is it the same feeling as the forced air at that point or does the heat still permeate towards the end of the burn cycle?

I don't have an insert installed yet so I really couldn't say sorry. I assume having the insert, especially if it is not flush will feel better than the forced air heat when it's not blowing. I bet even at the end when just coals that room would still feel warmer. My last house had baseboard hydro heaters. When the heat wasn't on those were still warm and it felt better than forced air.

Interesting and timely thread (for me). I just purchased a 3 level townhouse in Vermont and am considering an insert on the middle level. The previous owners used 550 gallons of oil per year but tough to tell how often it was used, what temps they kept the place at, etc. I am in the camp that will need to purchase and pay for an install (approx. $5k). In theory the condo association supplies "free" 16" firewood - not sure if they would provide enough to actually heat vs. just an occasional fire. We will be using the place every weekend and probably 1-3 full weeks during the winter. I heat 100% with wood at home (gasser w/storage) so I get all the things people here are sharing. Wondering if there is any shot at ROI here? Ultimately my decision may be that I enjoy it and if I heat with wood I will keep the place much warmer (comfortable) than I would otherwise. Any thoughts?

Small doses of woods time, manual labor, sights and smells, satisfaction of work done, radiant heat from the stove.
And newer stoves that are stingy on fuel. All is well.
No money is saved in the process. But wealthy in other ways.

Reactions: MissMac
110% same here haha
whole family throughout burns wood, we run a sawmill so im constantly dealing with wood and we have so much woods to timber and its almost always firewood, hard to get many good saw logs. its in my blood for sure, and the big lab loves sleeping next to the stove as i love drinking a few brews next to it.

We have been heating with wood for 35+ years. Added a pellet stove to the mix a few years ago. Just added a second pellet stove to our new garage. Fire bugs for sure, man and beasts inclusive. Too legit to quit now!

I started off burning to save money back in my first house when I had electric heat. I was able to get a 700$ stove installed into an existing chimney. was able to save quite a bit immediately. In my second house I spent more on my stove/liner but oil was nearly 4$ a gallon and i was heating a big house with old windows so the payback was only a few years plus I grew to love the radiant heat.

My current house is passive solar and oil is pretty affordable right now. I just spent 6 grand on a new chimney and stove so I am no longer doing this to save money. it will probably take me 10+ years to recouped the install cost. With that said I couldn't be happier to be burning again. I have missed having a stove the past two winters.

I do save money, but that is not the primary reason I burn. The main reason I burn is because the heat coming out of a stove is way better than forced hot air or forced hot water.

The wife and kids also love it! Everyone parks themselves in front of the stove. It's great family bonding.

I love sitting there and watching the secondaries. It's great entertainment. I like splitting and stacking (not so much cutting). I like cooking on and in the stove. I guess it boils down to enjoying the whole lifestyle.

I also like to keep the house in the low 70s which I would not do with oil.

We moved in over 40 years ago. Small ranch with piss ant electric heaters at the far end(bedrooms) and an oil floor heater at the other end. The damn floor heater was on and off every 10 minutes and unless you stood over it you froze. Then I met old Charlie Wilson in PA and bought a Morso 2bo. Now still sticking with the Harmon TL300. No other heat

I burn for the ambience. The radiant heat is great as well. We may save a few bucks, but it's not why we burn.