Wife wants new chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tegbert

Feeling the Heat
Sep 15, 2016
Arlington Wa
So the wife doesn't like the look of the chimney we have for our stove and I don't really blame her. It is corroded looking and we plan on getting our roof replaced in the future so a new looking pipe would be nice as well. Also would like to increase the height of it by a foot or two to possibly help with shoulder season burns.

So the question is what all do I need to get? I understand that all brands are different and you should stick with one brand. Does that include the stove pipe too? I have no clue what chimney brand it is but the stove to the support box is duravent. What all needs to be changed if switching pipes?

Here's a picture of the outside I need to go in the attic to see what all is in there as I don't remember exactly what it was.

b26b0527be41a52a7b2dfde8566ad54c.jpg

Lopi Rockport

I wouldn't be surprised if it is galvanized it most likely was installed in 1980 or something around that time.

Lopi Rockport

The jacket is galvanized and doesn't appear to be corroded, but that should be checked out. The liner in the chimney should be stainless. If it is in good shape then I would clean the exterior up, wipe it down with alcohol and paint it with something like Rustoleum BBQ paint.

FWIW the roof doesn't look too bad either, but the picture only shows a portion of it. You can still buy galvanized chimney pipe today, but if the roof is replaced this would be a good time to update the chimney.

Reactions: Tegbert
Never seen stainless look like that. It almost looks galvanized.
It is galvanized exterior and I agree with begreen it does not look like it is in bad shape at all from the outside. I would have it inspected and if everything is fine paint it. Galvanized exterior is not what I would choose to install but you have it so you might as well use it till it starts to deteriorate.

You can also just lift out and replace the chimney sections if you want and leave the roof flashing. Fresh stainless steel is really shiny and pretty!

New cap, new storm collar.

So I took a couple of pictures of the chimney. I like the idea of painting it and she probably would go with that.

Problem is I just measured the height and it is at 13' 1" from the top of the stove to cap 15' 3" to the bottom of the stove. Lopi says 15' minimum but there diagrams have the line to the bottom of the stove if that's the case I have 15' but not from the top.

a00d372f8ec19919f22ac9d5751566fc.jpg

Looks like it is amerivent pipe

4d8705468aaa45a3da6613ce9b3af0fd.jpg

b411859b6be46d843304743cbff812fe.jpg

Lopi Rockport

Ok well Iwould change that out it is an air cooled chimney not an insulated one they do not give you very good performance.

Reactions: bcrtops
So would I need to change anything else out too or just like highbeam said just pull the old put in new with cap and storm collar?

Lopi Rockport

Ok well Iwould change that out it is an air cooled chimney not an insulated one they do not give you very good performance.

Yes, for sure.
I put up with one of those for 30+ yrs. on a Fisher stove. No way you could keep it from creosoting up -- they just run too cold & my opinion is they should be banned for a wood burner. Even if you ran the Fisher wide open all the time, it would still creosote up on the top sections & be a chimney fire waiting to happen (& did several times -- though closing the Fisher clear down always snuffed it out).

So would I need to change anything else out too or just like highbeam said just pull the old put in new with cap and storm collar?
You may need to change out the support box I dont know I would have to inspect the whole system to know. But what he said may be possible for sure

As far as the 15' thing, since lopi measures from the floor and requires 15', so long as you measure the same way and get 15'+ then you meet the requirement. Different manufacturers measure this differently which is why they gave you that nice diagram.

If you replace chimney like for like they just swap out. If you change brands, types, sizes, not necessarily that easy.

You may need to, including the flashing. Air cooled pipe has a larger OD than insulated pipe. Measure the OD to see if it's 8" or 10" If the OD is 10" then you might as well paint the current chimney for the short term if you're going to keep it for a couple years and replace everything when the roof is done.