Will there be another big rush this year to change to wood heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xcel energy says they want to increase their rates 14% in this area and heating oil is $3 per gl. With the mild winters we have had the last few years, I think people are just waiting or hoping for another. Once there is a good long cold snap things will pick up and people will start buying. I also have noticed more pellet/corn stoves than wood stoves in the local hearth shops and many OWB on the highways, but I doubt people will buy til they feel the bitter cold.

Too much work. I think most of us burn because we enjoy it. I like cutting the wood, splitting it, stacking it - seeing the perimeter of my yard loaded with neatly stacked wood.

We like burning it and love the heat.

Most people are too lazy.

We have been putting in almost one wood insert EVERY DAY! Sometimes two or more go out the door in one day, one customer put two in the same house last week. That is way above normal, in comparison I think we put maybe one in a week last year, if even.

i have seen a bit of a rise in the percentage of wood units v/s pellet this season, not a huge change , but i think a lot of the "fence riders" choosing between wood and pellet are leaning to wood due to cost of pellets and corn for multi-fuel units. gas and oil as they continue to rise is going to force the trend as it has been over the last 3 or 4 years. folks i talk to have bought units and explained that they simply cannot afford to pay the gas or oil bills, so they are spending the 2 to 3 K for the wood or pellet units and flue systems to put them under. ive heard the 700 to 900 dollars A MONTH for gas heat , i shudder, what kills me is that its not that uncommon in some regions. thats insane! so folks bite the bullet and put in a unit figuring that they will recoup the short term expense in a few seasons. isnt that why we all do it? i know its pure enjoyment and the most comfortable heat available, but if it were to cost more to burn wood (silly but just for example) would we still do it or turn on the furnace?

If it was cheaper to heat some easier way the 30-NCL would have a nice bouquet of fake flowers showing through that big glass in the door. And another on top of it.

Actually, it is sort of scary to know that some many OWB's and smoke dragons are being installed - maybe my assumption, but I think they are not all (or nearly all) being installed in a totally safe fashion....and also if everyone fires up all these things, we are going to have a repeat of the "smoke crisis" of yesteryear. That would put a bad face on wood burning, as it often pits neighbor against neighbor and even the police and town government sometimes have to get involved.

Well, two steps forward and one step back, I guess.

My stove paid for itself the first year. I just wish it put the check number in the ledger so I could prove out the checkbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.