Will this be the Dark Winter that our President referred to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case, I've had zero issues from getting the Moderna vaccine, in fact I just got my 'booster' last week and all I got was the usual sore arm.

Again, don't understand the 'natural immunity' thing at all. Who in their right mind would prefer contracting Covid for natural immunity. Someone insane maybe?

Contracting Covid is a 100% crapshoot at best. You could contract it and have mild symptoms or you could wind up entubed on a ventilator or you could die, but in any case you'll do some suffering. Much less 'painful' to get the vaccine in my view at least.

Being an adult, I made my choice early on and so did my wife. We both got the Moderna as soon as possible, was a 'no brainer' for us.

For me, it was a no choice anyway. I'm immune deficient in the first place. far as masking is concerned, I wear an N95 mask when out in public like in a store or eating out. Don't bother me at all. I look at the mask as just another avenue of mitigation.

Not looking good and the supply chain economics appear ( to me at least) to be staying broken. I have an issue with the Ever Given in the Suez canal causing all this. I believe all that was, was an excuse.
I agree, it’s been over a year in the making. I think everyone was given the memo that the world was shut down, but all that really stopped was leisure (dining, specialty shopping, gyms, sports, theater, concerts, gambling…). Commodities still were needed as much as ever. So the world’s backstock got depleted, cleaned out every nook and cranny where emergency stock was stored too. Now places need to work twice as hard to build that back up, but it takes a long time especially since most places run at capacity anyway.

Faith, intuition are a couple. Do you lack these?
Faith in what?

Intuition means nothing without some base of information to work from.

Again the fact that your opinions are formed without the need for data is very telling.

Faith in what?

God for 1, not that I have ever interpreted any reading in the bible against vaccines or medicine in general. Secondly, my body having it's own ability to fight covid and form it's own anti bodies without some man made crap put in my body that some people that I don't know say data suggests is safe. What if some day we find out that vaccines cause cancer, or alzheimers or any other sickness we still don't fully understand. I'm 33 and healthy as a horse. I'll take my so called poor chances.

Intuition means nothing without some base of information to work from.

Yes and from what I've seen of the majority of the folks that have gotten it....my own boss for one who is 59 with heart troubles and a chain smoker....its described as a bad cold or flue. His whole family of five got it. All fine. I've seen multiple folks around here with it and they have all gotten over it. Yes I have heard of folks I know around here dying. Mostly old folks with compromised health factors. I can understand why certain folks get the vaccine. More power to them. I will rely on what I've seen to make my decisions for me.

Again the fact that your opinions are formed without the need for data is very telling.

Telling of what bud, spit it out. Because I don't believe the way you do I'm less of a person. Go to hell.

Telling of what bud, spit it out. Because I don't believe the way you do I'm less of a person. Go to hell.
Telling of how an opinion can contradict what the world wide scientific community agrees upon. And go against most known facts of the current situation. No one ever said that makes you less of a person though

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I agree, it’s been over a year in the making. I think everyone was given the memo that the world was shut down, but all that really stopped was leisure (dining, specialty shopping, gyms, sports, theater, concerts, gambling…). Commodities still were needed as much as ever. So the world’s backstock got depleted, cleaned out every nook and cranny where emergency stock was stored too. Now places need to work twice as hard to build that back up, but it takes a long time especially since most places run at capacity anyway.
The other issue from what I see (and hear) is, people today don't want to work but prefer having the government support them. I know that is a blanket statement and don't apply everywhere, but from the amount of 'help wanted' signs I see and the fact that at 71 and retired, I could be working tomorrow. In fact I have employers calling me regularly asking me if I want to work for them. I retired from a specialized field and that field is really hurting for employees or at least people who actually want to work.

If the 'workforce' is lacking then 'getting back up to speed' as far as products available to consumers (me included) will be very hard.

Interestingly, I have a good friend who is a plant manager of a concern in Indiana and he told me his facility has become a 'revolving door' as far as employees are concerned. This outfit requires a negative drug test prior to employment and between the drug test and the attitude of perspective employees that want to start out at top wage and the fact that when they do actually hire a new employee, they work a couple days and never return, because at this company, manual labor is involved, they cannot find and retain employees. In fact they are having staffing issues to the point where they were running 3 shifts but had to cut the 3rd shift because they lacked the employees to run it.

I'm pretty sure they would like to run at capacity but they cannot due to employee issues.

It's not hard manual labor (like digging ditches manually. but it does involve a 'hands on' employee. Machines like overhead cranes do the heavy lifting but someone still needs to operate those machines and the skill level isn't all that high but like I stated earlier, they cannot find people and the ones they do hire, don't last long.

This company offers excellent ancillary benefits too like fully paid hospitalization, vacation time, personal paid days, profit sharing and employee recognition benefits as well as an excellent retirement. I ought to know, I retired from this company but from one of their Ohio based operations.

If people really wanted to work, it would be nice. It appears to me they don't or at least a percentage don't. Not everyone can have a cush desk job, we still need people to do the 'grunt work' even though the manual labor with this company is pretty easy.

You don't start with any company at top wage, least no outfit I'm familiar with anyway. Not even the auto makers do that.

I ought to know, I retired from one of their divisions.

Last edited:
Telling of how an opinion can contradict what the world wide scientific community agrees upon. And go against most known facts of the current situation. No one ever said that makes you less of a person though
That there is typical of what this society is producing today. Zero respect for another persons views. If I disagree with someone else's viewpoint, I'd never tell them to go to hell. Just not right and certainly not acting like a mature adult either. I never wish ill on anyone. Was not raised that way. I may not agree but I still keep my cake hole shut.

God for 1, not that I have ever interpreted any reading in the bible against vaccines or medicine in general. Secondly, my body having it's own ability to fight covid and form it's own anti bodies without some man made crap put in my body that some people that I don't know say data suggests is safe. What if some day we find out that vaccines cause cancer, or alzheimers or any other sickness we still don't fully understand. I'm 33 and healthy as a horse. I'll take my so called poor chances.
As I said before I didn't get the vaccine out of concern for myself. I am 41 and in great health. I am pretty sure I would be fine. But there are plenty of people I come into contact with that very well may not be. And there is the simple fact that the more it spreads the more chance it has to mutate into something that neither natural or vaccine immunity protects us from.

I wish I was 41 again. I'd do a lot of things differently.

While not germane to this discussion, I live by the tape measure rule.

Simply put, you take a tape measure and run it out to 100. You put your finger on your age and then look back to the beginning and to 100. Chances are you won't live to be 100 but looking back to the beginning and at your age, look at all the time you wasted and how little time you have left so make the most of that time because we all come to the end at some point.

How I look at every day now and every morning when I open my eyes, I say a silent prayer to the Lord for allowing me yet another day of life and I try to make every day the best I can because tomorrow may never come for me and you.

Life is a tenuous thing at best. There are no guarantees. All you can really do is make every day the best you can and hope there are many more.

Immortality is just a fantasy we all embrace.

Taking chances based on faith is what killed the young Texas antivaxer, and left his wife and 4 kids without a father or income. It's what killed the Florida antivaxer and radio DJ that convinced thousands to not get vaccinated, many of which are now also dead. The fact is that it's Russian roulette taking chances on getting the disease for natural immunity. What is worth the risking the possibility of taking down friends and family in order to stand up for some trumped up personal belief when there is a clear and safe alternative?

Faith, intuition are a couple. Do you lack these?
I wonder how the Texas pastor who preached ‘faith over fear’ in the pandemic really feels now that both his parents died of Covid. Didn't work out too well for them. There are lots of stories out there where the pure faith thing didn't go so well.

Reactions: bholler
Still not concerned bud.
And absolutely no concern for anyone around you? No concern about minimizing the chances of the virus mutating further which could be a serious negative impact on the country and world as a whole?

To me it is clear that the people who are strongly against the vaccine are only thinking of themselves and have no concern for how their decision may effect others.

And absolutely no concern for anyone around you? No concern about minimizing the chances of the virus mutating further which could be a serious negative impact on the country and world as a whole?

To me it is clear that the people who are strongly against the vaccine are only thinking of themselves and have no concern for how their decision may effect others.

Your right I'm only concerned of my own well being. That's why I haven't gotten the shot.

Aborted fetal cells were used in the development of the J&J vaccine. They were not used in phizer or moderna.
Well that is not what was reported on the radio this morning.

Well that is not what was reported on the radio this morning.
Regardless of which one used fetal cells not all did. So if that bothers you choose one that didn't. And this was not a secret at all. No one tried to hide it. In fact it has been relatively common practice since the 1960s.

Regardless of which one used fetal cells not all did. So if that bothers you choose one that didn't. And this was not a secret at all. No one tried to hide it. In fact it has been relatively common practice since the 1960s.
No it doesn't bother me one bit however those against choice might have a slight problem. It's not like they were using stem cells or umbilical cord blood.

As for the supply chain I've been waiting for a fridge for the house (the dealer supplied me with a free brand new loaner) as of Feb 2021 so 8 months and nothing in the pipe line.

Reactions: bholler
Exactly. You are pretty sure you will be fine. Who cares about the rest of the country and world.

Yea your right. You give me the number of people un vaccinated covid cases and the death rate for those people that contract covid. I'll bet that percentage of people that die from it is still really low.

A long dark winter with waiting for a icebox that is somewhere in the supply chain..Your dealer was a thoughtful person to lend you one....good for him....hope mines stays good...clancey

Yea your right. You give me the number of people un vaccinated covid cases and the death rate for those people that contract covid. I'll bet that percentage of people that die from it is still really low.
Yes of course it is still low. It is roughly 1%. But that can easily change with a new variant.

So you are saying you are perfectly fine with 1 out of 100 people dieing??? I personally am not.

it's not just the death rate that matters. Complcations due to Covid are much higher with the unvaccinated. This puts unnecessary strain on the health care system and on our supply chains.

Yes of course it is still low. It is roughly 1%. But that can easily change with a new variant.

So you are saying you are perfectly fine with 1 out of 100 people dieing??? I personally am not.
No I was being sarcastic about not caring but the reality is that we will never get rid of covid. Yes if everyone got vaccinated that could happen but there are always going to be unvaccinated people like me and there is always going to be a small percentage of people that die of it. There will always be people like me that choose not to get the vaccine no matter how much people protest or rant and rave about it. It's becoming a fact of life that I just never have been concerned about. People die of many things every day. This has just become another.

No I was being sarcastic about not caring but the reality is that we will never get rid of covid. Yes if everyone got vaccinated that could happen but there are always going to be unvaccinated people like me and there is always going to be a small percentage of people that die of it. There will always be people like me that choose not to get the vaccine no matter how much people protest or rant and rave about it. It's becoming a fact of life that I just never have been concerned about. People die of many things every day. This has just become another.
I just hope you don't turn into one of the stories of people who regretted not getting it because you or a loved one ends up with a really bad case. And that wasn't sarcastic I really do hope that doesn't happen.

A long dark winter with waiting for a icebox that is somewhere in the supply chain..Your dealer was a thoughtful person to lend you one....good for him....hope mines stays good...clancey
Pretty typical right now and not just with appliances. Seems as though new cars are in short supply. Was reading about new car dealers around here that usually have a lot of inventory that have none. Not that I'd ever buy a new car or truck anyway. Been buying late model off lease vehicles for years now.

Seems as though appliances, if you can get any, are selling for top buck.

Wife needs a new dishwasher, keeps shutting off, so I spritzed the controls with WD40 and that seems to have cured it for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.