Winter car washes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
The new truck is white. It shows winter sand off the roads really easily. I wanted a way to spray off the truck at home, but I didn't want to redrain the 100 feet of 3/4" hose I keep at the front spigot.

Here's what I came up with:

Attachments

• 20191208_130511.jpg
    20191208_130511.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 184
The hose has a soft wall and will can be stuffed down into the milk jug when I'm finished. I'll just throw it on a basement shelf until I need it next time. No draining or coiling needed!

Attachments

• 20191208_130533.jpg
    20191208_130533.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: sloeffle
I have one as well. For the boat I had one of those expanding hoses. That worked unbelievably well and takes up even less space than the Zero G.

Neat idea. I'm still coiling old hoses. :)

Looks good. Spray off underneath, too, since the visually unappealing dirt is far less worrisome than the rust encouraged by road salt.

It really doesn't pay to wash or have your car washed here in Michigan. they keep our roads so full of salt; every pickup is a fender flapper by age 10. Plus I live on a gravel road, there are times I let my drip dry on the driveway rather that drip all the mud in the garage.

I've owned 5 flex/retract hoses. Everyone of them burst because of failure of the membrane that carries the water. They are great when they are functioning, but it became more expense than I needed.

Reactions: jmb6420
It really doesn't pay to wash or have your car washed here in Michigan. they keep our roads so full of salt; every pickup is a fender flapper by age 10. Plus I live on a gravel road, there are times I let my drip dry on the driveway rather that drip all the mud in the garage.
I target puddles on the roads in spring in hopes the splash will wash the salt from under my truck.

I've had one on my deck for 3 years now. Just for watering all the plants. We release the pressure and it fits in a small plastic bucket. It says it 50 ft but maybe it need more than my 25 LBS water pressure to get that long. Surely not rugged, but what we us it for, it's perfect.

I've owned 5 flex/retract hoses. Everyone of them burst because of failure of the membrane that carries the water. They are great when they are functioning, but it became more expense than I needed.
They are getting better. Read the reviews. Amazon has a good selection.

Lol. That'll work too!

They don't like to let me through with all the ladders and gear in the back of the truck, lol.

Reactions: velvetfoot
When we moved into our house, I had an outdoor style house fauct installed at the back of the attached garage (away from the doors.). I keep a traditional freestanding hose reel set up, next to the air hose reel, and can wash my cars inside the garage all winter. Water drains towards the front. So far I haven't frozen the garage doors to the floor. :)

I just take 5 minutes and drive through this thing called a car wash. I haven't washed a car by hand in 20 years.

Slop sink in the garage has faucet that accepts a garden hose. I shut down and drain the cold side because that also feeds outside water. But the hot water can be used w/o worry of later freeze up. Did it today, the hot water hitting 28 deg air looks like a Chinese laundry.

I have an exterior faucet/hose bib that has freeze protection and hot water. Someday I'll install it and let you know how it works.

That sounds like an ideal setup!

Thanks. I've always been a "hand-wash" guy. When I was younger, I'd detail my cars a couple of times a year and wash them every couple of weeks. Those intervals have increased over the years. :)

It is nice to have a warm garage with a faucet/hose inside!

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus