Wives....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
Personally, I'm single and never been married. I live alone, so I do as I please, by and large.

But I hear there are these folks called WIVES out there. What do they have to say about burning wood, stacking wood, drying wood and so on?

All I know is I see so many posts "The wife doesn't like this or the wife doesn't want that..."

I'm married with one daughter (1.5yrs old).
The wife always claims to be too busy to do much with firewood. But she will help some. She moves wood from the pallets along the basement wall to the wood box near the stove. Sometimes, if I get a cart (5''x4' trailer) load of wood split before I leave for work she will stack if for me if I park the cart near the pile. shes good about feeding the stove. Our daughter sees us stacking wood in the basement and likes to "help" by dragging or carrying a small split around wile we work. Over all the family is helpful. Having the little one keeps me motivated to keep the place warmer than if it was just me

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My wife initially thought something was wrong with me when I found this site and started stock piling years of wood. She sees the difference dry wood makes and is now a fan! She still thinks I'm a bit overboard with all this stuff, but she is mostly supportive of all the stuff I do. She even listens to me talk about this stuff sometimes and seems remotely interested :)

She is thrifty so she loves how cheap it is to heat our house with wood, and she likes being warm. She doesn't help too much with any of this, but she does a lot of other things around the house, so no worries there.

Also, if I didn't have her around, I would probably be broke from buying things (multiple chainsaws, tractor, etc...) that I dont need. She likes to ask me "do you really need this, or do you just want it?" It's a good check for me as I can sometimes be a tad bit impulsive when I'm excited about something.

My wife loves the fireplace insert. She knows how to run it, start it and go get wood for it. She will also fill the wood hoop in the LR but it takes her twice the trips to do so. She will keep the insert going if I'm out snowmobiling.

When we are processing wood she also takes the splits out of the wheel barrow that fall off the spliter table and stacks them.

She doesn't groan about the dust or debris and will grab the vac to clean it up or dust the furniture. We keep a very anally clean house.

She does not know how to run the wood boiler....... Yet.

We have no kids.

Personally, I'm single and never been married. I live alone, so I do as I please, by and large.

But I hear there are these folks called WIVES out there. What do they have to say about burning wood, stacking wood, drying wood and so on?

My wife bought me my Stihl chainsaw for Christmas a few years ago when we first started talking about installing our insert. Since then, she understands my all day adventures bucking trees. Hauling them back to the house and helping me unload them. She helps me stack while I'm splitting. She knows how to get the stove goin and reload on those cold night's early in the morning. It truly is another way of life and it certainly helps having a wife that understands that there isn't a "wood fairy" out there and this takes a lot of work ALL year long. Going down to 25f tonight here in SE PA. I love burnin...so happy the season is here....stay warm all.

We have several women as members of this site that handle the stove themselves or manage it mostly. Some are wives and some are single. A lot of women log on here for guidance with installation and operation questions. Gals like to burn too, they just may not hang around the shop as much and jaw about their stoves.;)

It's not a wife thing, it's a spouse thing. I'm slowly getting my spouse on board with the insert, which is going in tomorrow! Thankfully I have done my homework and have clearly thought of everything he's thrown at me to date. Haven't got the mantle shield on yet because I have to get it trimmed down and it arrived yesterday. At least spouse is very interested in properly storing wood he's split.

my wife loves wood heat, she helps when she can with stacking, she's not big on chainsaws and splitters, but i'm not big on baking cakes or cookies so thats fair

Reactions: Alpine1
My wife loves the heat, and enjoys the stove. Like me, she gets tired of processing wood in the fall, but throws on her boots and spends some time with me splitting and stacking. We actually used her Jeep Wrangler to pull the seasoned wood this year from one side of the yard to another, got it done in about 3 hours, instead of 3 days spent with a wheelbarrow.

Mine helped a lot. Would go out in the Forest and drag the trees to where I cold buck them up. Push up the Rounds into pile for me. Help move the split wood, and help stack. Move it in Winter.

She hated the ash and bitched too much. After 7 years I gave away all the wood (10cords), Sold the Splitter and Invested in Pellet stove (HarmonXXV). She now has the chore of moving pellets on the porch. She can't handle more than 8-9 bags at a time.

Have to fight her for the Job of Mowing the Grass. ha ha.

She's a Keeper.

Attachments

• DSCN1141.JPG
    DSCN1141.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 309
Reactions: coutufr and Wickets
I am the wife and it's my stove. I split and stack the wood and bring the wood into the house. My dear husband would have no idea how it works.

My dad loved wood stoves and I was brought up with a buck stove in the living room that I could operate when I was a kid. My daughter now loves our stove and runs it. She helps me gather wood, split it and stack it. She will never be dependent on a man to keep her warm. Lol

My lady for 37 years loves our stoves and runs them when I am traveling. She does not do the splitting, stacking etc. I don't mind doing that by myself.

Tammy loves wood heat, we have it at both our homes. She helps with tree dropping of our trees, and stacking of our wood. I do the sawing and splitting. Now after 6 years of wood burning she can run the stove as good as possible. I feel I'm very lucky to have her.

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee
I got one of those! 27 years and still counting. She helps when she can. She will run the splitter, help load, drive the tractor and stack in the wood shed.
Right now my grandsons think it's fun to process wood..so I get some help from them. Until they discover girls that is.

I've been burning wood off and on for 40 years, now its just at the cabin. The wife doesn't help with the wood but that gives me some peace and quiet time so no big deal. She doesn't say much about the 3 chain saws or tractor with loader, that tractor is so useful I'm not sure how people get by with out one. After she spent a couple weeks at the cabin alone keeping the little stove stoked every three hours all night long she's starting to get excited about a new Blaze King stove.

I've been burning wood off and on for 40 years, now its just at the cabin. The wife doesn't help with the wood but that gives me some peace and quiet time so no big deal. She doesn't say much about the 3 chain saws or tractor with loader, that tractor is so useful I'm not sure how people get by with out one. After she spent a couple weeks at the cabin alone keeping the little stove stoked every three hours all night long she's starting to get excited about a new Blaze King stove.
We are on only 1/3 acre, so not enough space for a tractor.

My wife doesn't cut or split and rarely stacks, BUT she likes to burn wood--mostly she likes the house too hot, and I'm cheap, so wood is the way to go.

I am the wife and it's my stove. I split and stack the wood and bring the wood into the house. My dear husband would have no idea how it works.

My dad loved wood stoves and I was brought up with a buck stove in the living room that I could operate when I was a kid. My daughter now loves our stove and runs it. She helps me gather wood, split it and stack it. She will never be dependent on a man to keep her warm. Lol

How do I give Molly a trophy?

What a lady!

My wife helps quite a bit with processing. I bring most of the wood in and load the stove most of the time but she will do it as well.

I am a little different though because woodstoves and chimneys pay our bills. Its almost a requirement that i burn.

She doesn't say much about the woodstove other than it does tend to be more messy than running central heat. . . but she does run the stove when I'm not around since she is just as, if not, more frugal than I am.