adschreifels Posted By adschreifels, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:52 PM

1. adschreifels

adschreifels
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Nashport
    Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I purchased a home two years ago, and it came with a wonderwood stove. The chimney is roughly 15 feet, straight up from the stove, with a 90 degree bend at the stove back. It is a 6 in single wall pipe in 3 sections. The previous owner said they used the stove to heat because the electric here costs too dang much. Well I didn’t trust the stove because I never had one as a kid, no one had one in the extended family either. I have always wanted one tho. Last weekend I tested it out to see if it was in decent shape, I unhooked it brought it outside to see if it leaked anywhere. She ran great, heated up my bbq put quite nicely. I wanted to replace the stove piping anyway because it is old and seems brittle.

Here starts my questions. I will be using this wonderwood for this season(we can’t afford 500 a month to heat this season again). Is there anything I NEED to know before I use it?

What is the Max temp I should bring it to?
    Do I need a damper in the flue above the stove and if so what height do I need it at?
    How do I figure out what chimney I have? (If that makes sense)
    Once I figure out this chimney set up and it works proplerly I am eyeballing either a Englander 13nc or a 30, will this current set up work with those stoves?

Any info will be appreciated I have a 2 year old and the safety issue is all I’m thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Max temp...700, 800* MAX!
    Damper in pipe, yes, for sure.
    Need pics of chimney...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. adschreifels

adschreifels
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Nashport
    Do you need pics of the part of the chimney in the attic? Or the roof?

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Either way I would guess...you said you needed help to ID what type it is, right?
    Is it metal or masonry?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adschreifels

adschreifels
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Nashport
    Metal definitely. I’ll grab some pictures tomorrow in the am, I understand this question has more than likely been asked a bunch but I still thank you all for the help.

6. redktmrider

redktmrider
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 21, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Do you have seasoned firewood? Burning wet wood is the one mistake new wood burners make most often. Wet wood doesn't put out much heat and leads to rapid creosote buildup in the chimney system. Seasoned firewood has a moisture content of around 20% when measured at room temperature of the face of a fresh split piece of wood. If you do not have seasoned firewood, begin looking for bio bricks or some other processed wood product for this season and buy wood now to start seasoning it for next year.

7. adschreifels

adschreifels
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Nashport
    I have a substantial amount of wood, well for a city boy who moved to the middle of nowhere. I am also going to buy a few cords. I have had some split and stacked for a little over a year now. Also once I purchase a wood moisture tester thing (sorry I’m new) I’ll make sure I use it right. Safety is my main concern because it’s just me my wife and my two year old, I’ll spend the money to make sure I’m not lighting a bomb in my house.

redktmrider likes this.
  8. adschreifels

adschreifels
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Nashport
    This is what I could get, chimney looks good in my novice opinion. I’m getting a brush and stuff to clean it tomorrow and I’ll be putting new pipe to the ceiling. I was just going to use single wall pipe unless you guys think I should use double. Where should I put my thermometer on the stove? Or should I just have it in the flue pipe?

IMG_0257.jpg IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0259.jpg

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Looks like class A pipe. Good.
    Single wall should be fine as long as you have 18" (iirc) clearance to combustibles. Doublewall might allow a lil better draft, and stay a little cleaner, but that stove should waste enough heat up the stack to not really need it.
    I'd put a mag type thermometer on the stove top and a probe type in the pipe a foot or two above the stove, but below the damper...but that's me, you could do one or the other.

10. mellow

mellow
    Resident Stove Connoisseur 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Salisbury, MD