Wood: Buying cut, split, delivered vs. buying uncut logs vs. Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you buy wood cut, split, delivered? Do you buy uncut logs? Or do you scrounge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do a bit of both. We bought most of what we'll burn next year and we've hooked up with a tree company to deliver most of the following season's wood, cut and split, for around $120/cord (all hardwood). The tree service also said they'd add us to their "rounds" list where they call and if you want 'em they'll drop a load of rounds off at your house. DH has been scrounging wood the neighboring towns have been cutting along the power lines as well. We have neighbors who let us take a couple of their downed trees, and we have a couple of oaks down behind our house (3-4 30-40 foot trees that are off the ground but uprooted and hanging across a stream - a bit puzzling how to attack them without having them stand back up...).

I think we have enough kindling to open a shop. ;)

DexterDay, are you a Stihl dealer? Holy chainsaws!!!!

We scrounge beg and grovel for wood ;lol so far it has paid off for us to go the free route and we have been blessed by good friends who let us cut. I do occasionally buy wood but so far it has been very little.

Pete

I'm okay being labeled a 'mark' in this particular situation.

I voted for scrounge. Although I did buy 6 cord last year cut/split/delivered. I have scrounged WAY more than I have bought. To be honest, I can't wait for the "Free" wood to stop. I CANNOT pass it up, but it's killing me. After it finally does run out, I will probably goo with C/S/D green, at least for a while.......

I cut the trees down. I buck the trees up. I split the bucked up wood. I stack the splits. I move the splits to the woodshed. I move the splits to the porch. I move the splits to the woodbox. I move the splits to the wood stove. I move the ash to the ash bucket. I dump the ash outside near a tree. It's the circle of life . . . and for me it's oh so therapeutic . . . it's work, but it's enjoyable work.

Jeez Jake, since you put it THAT way, I'm gonna' go have another cup of coffee.;lol
I've thought of spelling it out like that (actually have...to myself), but I think I'd add way too much detail.
Even the hardcore among us might get catatonic._g

I bought c/s/d the first two years, now I scrounge. Costs are:
1100 gal oil @$3.5/gal =$3,850
8 cords c/s/d @$220/cord =$1,760 a $2,090 savings
8 cords log length @ $110/cord = $880 $880 savings over c/s/d (4hr/cord to c/s = $27.50hr not bad)
8 cords scrounge @ $20 cord for gas.= $160 $720 saving over log length (3 hr/cord to scrounge = $30.00hr)

I like the bragging rights of being able to say my heat is essentially free. It’s almost OCD, to get the wood stacked up for each successive year. There is a big sense of accomplishment in having it all stacked up and knowing it was basically free.

I’m finally getting to the point where I’m a year ahead, (2013-14 almost done) and with any luck I’ll have 2014-15 put up by the end of the summer.

Don't have a truck or wood trailer, or time, so I buy wood. I've been processing log length tri-axle truck loads lately. Last couple of times I found a good deal on cut and split they weren't such good deals. It's nice to get exactly the size split you want as well, even though I'm at a standard 16" length. It is fun too...to a point.

This past winter I bought everything, although I would also grab just a few pieces of my green wood that I had sitting around to mix in for overnight burns.

This past weekend I just finished splitting/stacking everything for this coming winter and I hope it will be enough. Right around 5 cords- all scrounged from either nearby groves, city composts, FreeCycle inquiries or family that needed some timber cut.

I have tried to talk to a tree care guy in the next town over about getting pricing for full cords either already cut and split or for logs, but he just seems to have an issue getting around schtick of being stuck to just selling by the truckload- $70/loose load.

Another friend of mine sells it but I don't think that he has the volume to sell me what I need. He cuts for himself, his brother and the occasional soul out there who wants to buy a load once in a while; but he also doesn't really properly season his wood either.

The only other outfitter that I know of in the area charges $240/cord delivered but they don't deliver out to me. On top of that, I can heat with natural gas for that amount.

I'm okay being labeled a 'mark' in this particular situation.

me too ;) , I save about 700-800 gallons of oil a year burning wood so thats close to a $3000 savings, if I pay $150 a cord for 4 cords Im still ahead $2600, I did buy two cords last week for $150 a cord so I can get three years ahead but I usually try and get it free.

Status
Not open for further replies.