Wood chips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awfarmington

Sep 3, 2014
ohio
I found an ad for free (large) wood chips from a tree company. Can these be used in the wood stove or at least added as a supplement?

I found an ad for free (large) wood chips from a tree company. Can these be used in the wood stove or at least added as a supplement?
My experience is that they just kinda smolder, tried it. I use my chips as mulch for flower beds.

I've had about 20 tandem loads of fresh wood chips delivered by tree companies from craigslist over the last two years for mulch and composting. From the smell I'd guess they're mostly maple, poplar, or pine. I wouldn't bother trying to burn them, they seem to hold moisture in the piles and they decompose rather quickly.

Don't bother. Stick a pitchfork into a fresh load of mulch and look at the steam that come out. There's no way to make sure the mulch dries or stays dry. If you leave it in a like it'll stay wet and won't be any good for burning

Status
Not open for further replies.