Wood Does Cool Things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Got any pics of wood doing cool things?

Looking past the reflection, this red oak log started straight but turned out to be a contortionist. My back hurts just looking at it.

20201230_084301.jpg

Got any pics of wood doing cool things?

Looking past the reflection, this red oak log started straight but turned out to be a contortionist. My back hurts just looking at it.

View attachment 270710

Are you sure that's a split or did you throw in an old, dry-rotted car tire? ;) :)

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
Not in the stove, but I noticed this in one of my end cuts, it reminded me of your avatar, Sad Face, I think you named it. This is kind of a grumpy bear with a cleft face...

face.jpg

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I discovered Van Goghs starry night yesterday... Both under the bark and inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_143735207.jpg
    IMG_20201230_143735207.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20201230_155152227.jpg
    IMG_20201230_155152227.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 166
I discovered Van Goghs starry night yesterday... Both under the bark and inside.
Looks like "birds eye" pattern in maple. Do you have any more of it? I bet a high end wood turner or wood worker would love that!

It's oak, and it was the bottom part of a trunk. I have more, but (as of now) only in smaller pieces...

Hadn't thought of anything else than burning it. But will remember next time.

It's oak, and it was the bottom part of a trunk. I have more, but (as of now) only in smaller pieces...

Hadn't thought of anything else than burning it. But will remember next time.
I've never seen it happen in oak, just sugar maple. It's very pretty. Take a slice out of that really gnarly piece with a saw and see what it looks like on a cut face.

Wow, that should be framed or at least hung on a wall.

Wow, that should be framed or at least hung on a wall.

So, I went outside and got two pieces back; the brown one and one of the inside pieces (with the straight grain cut off). Lucky I left the hard pieces to split for last, so they were on top of the stack.

They are now on my work bench awaiting a trip to a friend with a band saw - and further inspiration.

So, I went outside and got two pieces back; the brown one and one of the inside pieces (with the straight grain cut off). Lucky I left the hard pieces to split for last, so they were on top of the stack.

They are now on my work bench awaiting a trip to a friend with a band saw - and further inspiration.
If you know someone with a lathe I bet those pieces could make nice bowls or plates.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have not become good at cameras or shooting fires. This is the only good shot I have. But interesting fires we definitely have.

Attachments

• 20201224_154825.jpg
    20201224_154825.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 158
This is Post Oak. Love the twists and swirls in the grain. This one was burned last year.

Attachments

• 20180201_102729_resized_1.jpg
    20180201_102729_resized_1.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 133
That truly is an amazing piece of wood. If you still have it, get a slab cut by someone who knows how. Even a small one for the wall, a display piece. Uber cool it is! Hard to envision how it could happen.

I think this is the result of the oak sprouting small shoots at the base, that are then consistently cut off but keep coming back.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I love to look at the secondaries in my Jotul Oslo. Beautiful.