Wood ID pic.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Super super stringy. In fact would fold a string right in the heartwood that would RIP down the middle of the log. Had a real orange tint IMG_0632.JPG to the heartwood when I split it. That seems to be going away fast.

Not all of it split quite this bad.. the real small stuff would split cleaner. Seemed to be 3x stringier than my red oak.

Ideas?

I'll take a stab at white oak, but got any more pics?

Definitly not white oak, it splits easy unless its a crotch or some crazy grained thing. thats also not WO bark, its definitly elm, the way it splits and that bark. Id say American.

Elm!

Looks like some nasty elm to me too. That split is the reason we don't cut elm when it is live. We wait for it to die and then wait some more until most of the bark has fallen. Then is splits pretty darned good, which also makes it burn much better. The split you have will be like kindling because of how it is torn apart and will burn super fast.

Best guess is elm . . . does the wood have any smell to it when split? To tell the truth my first gut instinct was for a different type of wood . . . but I suspect if it was this other wood you would have known while cutting it.

Looks like pignut to me.

Shouldn't Pignut have two-toned wood, with a darker center and lighter sapwood?

It can take a few days to show up. Thats as fresh as it gets right there.

So does elm. And, Oak, Maple, Ash, Cherry, Birch, Hickory, Beech,.....etc.

So does elm. And, Oak, Maple, Ash, Cherry, Birch, Hickory, Beech,.....etc.
Huh. I haven't really noticed that yet on White Ash or Red Maple, or maybe the lighter-colored sapwood is a very narrow layer....

The bark sure looks like elm to me. Stringy, tough as hell to split....kinda sounds like elm too. To verify what it is, take a sliver or splinter and burn it, smell the smoke. If it smells good, it aint elm......probably a hickory. Either way, some good BTUs!

Huh. I haven't really noticed that yet on White Ash or Red Maple, or maybe the lighter-colored sapwood is a very narrow layer....
Ash is really hard to tell the difference, but all the red maple I cut this summer (and I cut a LOT of it) had a very light pink/salmon heartwood, and very white sapwood.

Ash is really hard to tell the difference, but all the red maple I cut this summer (and I cut a LOT of it) had a very light pink/salmon heartwood, and very white sapwood.

And most maples tend to have a small heart. The smaller the better for lumber.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.