Wood ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ksracer

Nov 25, 2019
Wichita KS
This blew down earlier this summer. I cut and split it for campfires, now I'm wondering what it is since I just got a stove. It's no where close to being ready to burn, already tried a small sliver, lol.

It came out of a creek bottom in KS, if that helps. I know there's a lot of cottonwood in there, but I have no idea what this was.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_180915.jpg
    IMG_20191201_180915.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 268
From that photo I'd say black cherry.

Reactions: Sloppy
Reactions: JimBear
Reactions: JimBear
How does one argue with the Minister of Fire? ;)

I'm far from an expert! But I've had my share of mulberry and it looks spot on to that. Seasons to a really nice deep red color. It's almost a shame to use for firewood for how nice of a wood it is but I'm not a wood worker of any sort, so it at least makes for great BTU's!

Reactions: Sawset and JimBear
Mullberry is sort of a cousin to Boise D' Arc. Not quite as hard or rot resistant but can also be used to make a good bow.

So. Is this black cherry or mulberry? Some summers small red berries about the size of a peanut fall and stain my deck.
2f895fdcb8e5ca35bbbca8dedca23db3.jpg
3549739ff7d109a38c2fada64522bc1f.jpg

So. Is this black cherry or mulberry? Some summers small red berries about the size of a peanut fall and stain my deck.
Black Cherry, without a doubt. And note the horizontal lentices on the bark..
l

These are horizontal lentices on black cherry? Not sure if I'm seeing any of that here. The first op looks like mulberry. The second sure looks like cherry. Not sure of the lenticile thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-191127~2.png
    Screenshot_20191203-191127~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
These are horizontal lentices on black cherry? Not sure if I'm seeing any of that here. The first op looks like mulberry. The second sure looks like cherry. Not sure of the lenticile thing.

That's not Black Cherry or Mulberry. Bark look like some sort of ornamental cherry.

That's not Black Cherry or Mulberry. Bark look like some sort of ornamental cherry.
That could be. But as an example of lenticiles, others like birch have the same type of thing. It was suggested they are on the black cherry photo - I guesse I don't see them on the more mature bark.

mulberry- bark doesn't look quite right for Cherry that i am used to.
I've never seen Cherry with that pronounced of growth rings, either (1st pic.)

Reactions: tadmaz
My 2c . . .
Top pic of OP - mulberry:
  • bark is striated, which is unlike the stereotypical 'corn flake' bark of black cherry as noted in post #15 by keegantimber.
  • Also in OP's pic heartwood is yellow for some pieces and reddish in a couple other pieces (and light/ bright sapwood). All mulberry.
Mulberry fruit (white, reddish to black/purple) is an aggregate (multiple seeds) and looks like a blackberry.
Cherry will have a single seed/ pit/ stone.

Reactions: Ksracer