Wood ID (Red Maple?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd say red maple. We have tons of that around here and the bark is variable from tree to tree, quite rough down below tending to smoother up above. Sugar maple as shown in this pic, tends to start to have a "peely" characteristic to the bark as it gets older
upload_2017-2-2_14-38-59.png

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I was going to say, try stabbing with a MC meter or something. The pins will go in pretty easily with moderate force in red maple, hard maple you will have apply a lot more force.

For me it was just as easy to stab red maple as cottonwood.

It's essentially a ghetto hardness test.

Your big rounds look like sugar maple. The split looks like red maple to me. I'm not much good at photos. While I like oak much better than maple, red is pretty good. To me, significantly better than silver maple. I always take red maple, never take silver.