Wood Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bseib

Nov 30, 2015
Kansas
I have a heatilator hb42a woodburning fireplace in the house we just bought. We would like to get some suggestions on possibly putting in a wood insert in it. Is this even possible? There's only 1 guy in our area that installs inserts and he suggested putting in gas. We don't really want gas.

Or is there anything on the market to just pull the existing fireplace out and reframe the opening for something more efficient. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to this and trying to learn what my options are. Thanks in advance!

Pulling out and replacing the fireplace with a modern, EPA fireplace is an option. There are some nice choices. This would also require replacing the chimney system. A second option would be to remove the insert and create an alcove for a close clearance freestanding wood stove there. That also would need a chimney replacement. Another option would be to extend the hearth and put a rear-venting freestanding stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace tied to a stainless liner going up the full length of the chimney to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.