Wood moisture testers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
do these really work and are they worth getting

I was only able to cut and dry around 6 cord so I may have to buy some wood this year.
I just statred burning last year so I am playing catchup.

If I had a tester could I really tell if the wood I was going to buy was ready to burn?

They're reasonably accurate, and they're fun to use, but they won't change anything. If they say the wood is dry, you'll burn it. If they say it's not quite ready... you'll burn it anyway. Cold has a way of making you do stuff you promise you won't.

A MM is a good tool for you to calibrate your internal "is it ready to burn" sensor.

Might be useful for bargaining purposes with wood vendor. They might tell you "it's seasoned", which is meaningless. You might counter with "Is the MC (moisture content) 20% or below?" Whereupon you notify vendor that you're prepared to split a few sticks of your choice on arrival, to verify alleged MC.

Cue the blank stares.

For $10 from HF, it's quite useful.

I think I will pick one up this weekend.

I could also use it on the dead trees that I paln on cutting down to see what thier moisture content is.

Plus I bet my boys would like to play with it in the wood pile :)

Always remember to split first then test, do not use it on already split wood. I like that wood sellers say they will not sell any wood that will not burn. Well all wood burns, just not the way it should when it is wet. The first year of two it is a great tool. My batteries just died and I do not think I am replacing them now that I am far ahead.

I bought one just because they are cheap and fun to use. Confirms what I already knew from almost 40 years of burning wood.

Also useful for detecting moisture leaks behind drywall or plaster...home inspectors use them to tell when you've painted over wet spots with KILZ...not that you ever have.

Status
Not open for further replies.