Wood Shed Erotica (show what you’ve got)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Would love to build a shed. I have a lot of anxiety about the wood actually drying inside one though. But, all these people can’t be wrong!! Would def want something that’s relatively open.

I have seen wood piles blow out, but not shed walls. I don't recall seeing any blow out here, but maybe my scope is limited. You had me wondering so I went out and checked our shed and found no signs of strain on the nails holding up the lattice, nor play.

After reading this thread about lateral blow-out which I had not considered, I added an additional two horizontal 2x4s to each side and use some spare landscape timbers as vertical end pillars. Maybe I didn't need it? Oh, well, I had to substitute PT 1x6 boards for the recommended PT 5/4x6 deck boards because my local Home Depot was completely out of PT deck boards all summer. It means the side slats are fairly thin and weak. If they were all deck boards I might not have bothered.

I started this a few years ago. Mostly reclaimed materials.

jOOg10N.jpg

Here's how it stands today. I have been planning to pour a slab in it but other things have taken priority and I fill it with wood every spring. I also planned to add a lean-to off the back (more of an extension of the roof line) to park trailer, splitter etc., but again, not enough time. I roll down the doors come the fall a close the 4x8 hatch doors on the back that aid in ventilation. the 6 cord + the 1 (21 face) cord stack shown is enough to get me through the coldest of winters, and I've got plenty of backup in piles in the back of the property that are well protected. I could fit 11 cord in it if I didn't use the space for other things, but it's convenient storage. I just put in a new stove and anticipate my usage will be down this year. I probably won't touch that stack of ash this year regardless as I'm trying to burn up some Manitoba Maple/Aspen stacks during shoulder season to get rid of them.

PRv6YvU.jpg

n6cLkOU.jpg

longknife nice job. looks perfect. how big is that? looks like a garage size

longknife nice job. looks perfect. how big is that? looks like a garage size
Thanks. I think the pictures might make it look bigger than it is. The roll up doors are 8x7, and I think the structure is approx. 22' x 12'. I wanted to make it deeper, however I was limited by the length of the reclaimed "I" joists I used for rafters. I also would have went wider, but I didn't want to push too close to the black walnut beside it and I didn't want to push the span between the poles too far (nor add another pair). Also was limited by the length, of the again reclaimed, 2x12s for the beams.

The plan is to add another row of poles at the back and sister in rafters to create an extension. The roof height will be barely 6' at the back end, but if will give me more roof space to store misc stuff and free up the whole shed for firewood.

If I was to do it again, I'd build a two sided drive through shed that I could more quickly load/unload and more easily keep my stacks from different seasons separate (i.e. seasoning on one side, ready to burn on another). And not so tall, as I need a stool to top off the stacks. Eventually though I hope to just add a cold room to the foundation of the house (with a 3 season room above it as an extension to the kitchen and the pool deck) where I can put the firewood in to avoid having to truck it into the basement by the small wagon load all winter long. That being said, one step at a time (the wife is currently getting a kitchen while outbuilding projects are on hold) and it's come a long way since my scrap lumber and tarp wood shed.

koDAtRh.jpg

Reactions: MikeK
Your photo is my wife's idea of a good looking way to store 1 cord of firewood on a .2 acre city lot. I keep trying to tell her how big it would look in our situation, and how expensive, but she wants the wood shed erotica. I satisfied her desires with a Woodhaven 8 foot rack and cover.

i brought in 24 yards of fill and landscaped it. Now it doesn’t stand as proud and fits into the landscape nicer.

Smolder -
Great looking shed. Could you comment on whether your shed is anchored at all? Looks like it's sitting on blocks or a footer of some kind.

it us not anchored at all, it sits on limestone blocks from a retainer wall. The blocks sit on 3/4 clear for drainage. The shed itself is heavy and doesn’t move of spread. The top rim is all morticed and tenoned in a way that makes it lock together with any inside pressure.

16D219D2-5900-4D47-B471-A42A79163D7F.jpeg

The old pig shed I found on the property turned wood shed. It’s full! And I think it’s time for an expansion.

Please excuse the mess. I processed 8.5 cord of wood there this year.

Each bay hold a little over 3 cords, which is around what we burn in a winter. I don't season wood before putting it in here so I wanted it to be as open as possible. Originally I planned for it to be all on one level, but once I started digging to level the space out I hit ledge 6" below the grass... so I ended up with this tiered design.

I've seen that shed somewhere before... :)

Planning for my own mini woodshed next year. How much overhang do you have on the front? It looks like it's been enough to keep the rain and snow off?

View attachment 264201
The old pig shed I found on the property turned wood shed. It’s full! And I think it’s time for an expansion.

Please excuse the mess. I processed 8.5 cord of wood there this year.
I see another 1/2 cord scattered around your yard.....

I've seen that shed somewhere before... :)

Planning for my own mini woodshed next year. How much overhang do you have on the front? It looks like it's been enough to keep the rain and snow off?

IIRC it is about 24" of front overhang and about 12" of rear overhang. It does seem to keep the snow off well, and since the front faces south... any snow that does blow in either melts or sublimates pretty quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 140
IIRC it is about 24" of front overhang and about 12" of rear overhang. It does seem to keep the snow off well, and since the front faces south... any snow that does blow in either melts or sublimates pretty quickly.

Nice, good to know...thanks!

Here’s my new wood shed! I’ve been struggling to keep wood dry with tarps for a couple years and finally found the time to get a proper shed built. Dimensions are roughly 10x40’. Ideally this would have been south facing but alas, the zoning board (wife) did not approve that location.
After dealing with tarps for so long it pleases me to no end when it’s raining and I think of my wood sitting under this and staying perfectly dry!
95565946-7171-43A7-82BF-5E56F982B69F.jpeg

Wow, some great setups shown, this is something I plan on doing down the line once my new property is setup and I am living up there permanently. When I drive upstate NY I see similar things and always appreciate the time and effort put into these setups.

Reactions: Smolder
When I think of New England it think of @esparent 's setup, that looks awesome.

Reactions: Smolder
Almost finished with mine. 12' deep and 28' wide. 2' of overhang on each side and back and 3' overhang on the front. I am going to put more 2x6's on the side spaced out to allow airflow and trim the front header in metal to match the sides. I also decided to coat the whole thing in a mix of 50/50 diesel and used motor oil. 6x6 Posts are on concrete bases and brackets so this woodshed should outlive me.

Attachments

• Woodshed 1.jpg
    Woodshed 1.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Woodshed 2.jpg
    Woodshed 2.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Gearhead660
Almost finished with mine. 12' deep and 28' wide. 2' of overhang on each side and back and 3' overhang on the front. I am going to put more 2x6's on the side spaced out to allow airflow and trim the front header in metal to match the sides. I also decided to coat the whole thing in a mix of 50/50 diesel and used motor oil. 6x6 Posts are on concrete bases and brackets so this woodshed should outlive me.
Very nice, clean and simple! I also love those evergreens (not sure of the correct term) in the background. I wish I had some of those on my new property but we might plant some along the frontage as the family we purchased the property from sells christmas trees (he might actually grow them, not sure of that yet) upstate NY.

Very nice, clean and simple! I also love those evergreens (not sure of the correct term) in the background. I wish I had some of those on my new property but we might plant some along the frontage as the family we purchased the property from sells christmas trees (he might actually grow them, not sure of that yet) upstate NY.
Thanks. I will post more pics when it's finished and loaded. Yeah I've got Doug Firs on the land around me and have planted more throughout the property. The Fir and pine have a much higher survival rate compared to the various cedars I've planted. Just a warning. Keep them surrounded w/ a barrier after they establish because when the deer are in rut they will rub them into toothpicks!!!