Wood shed permit required?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I know towns have different regulations, but I wonder if it's generally required to have a permit to construct a firewood shed?

I know towns have different regulations, but I wonder if it's generally required to have a permit to construct a firewood shed?
Way to many variables in shed design construction requirements etc to give any sort of answer

Reactions: Bad LP
My town did require a permit (waste of $90). My taxes did not go up as long as my shed was not more than a 10X12. Again--really stupid regulation.

Reactions: cbscout
Yep it depends on the local code. In my area it’s anything bigger than 140 sq ft.

My garage was originally built as a shed in the 50s - no doors. Per my neighbor it was built that way to avoid taxes. So I guess just because it has doors now it's taxable. I should just ask the town about a permit.

Every jurisdiction will have different policies. I have seen local numbers for less than 8x8, 10 by 10 and 12 by 12. If there is organized planning and zoning in your town you may need a permit. If its rural area its less likely.

As already stated, every township is difference. Around here, a zoning permit (but not a building permit) is required for sheds over 100 sq.ft.

I built mine out of fence sections so it's really just 3 sections of fence with a roof. Any issues and I'll just take the roof off and cover with a nice blue tarp.

I built mine out of fence sections so it's really just 3 sections of fence with a roof. Any issues and I'll just take the roof off and cover with a nice blue tarp.
Good idea. Ya'd think a roof would be more appealing to look at than a tarp, so no one should complain. I don't think the town could justify taxing you on that, or to consider it a building.

Reactions: Supersurvey
BTW I got tagged for property taxes for a shed that consisted of 4 pressure treated poles and a roof made out of scrap wood with roof covered with left over shingles.

BTW I got tagged for property taxes for a shed that consisted of 4 pressure treated poles and a roof made out of scrap wood with roof covered with left over shingles.
Jeez, sounds like something my town would do. I wonder what would happen if I put up a tent.

Don't know about your area - but definitely wood stove weather this Easter in New England.

NH does not have income taxes or sales taxes but there are local property taxes. The problem is its a unfair system so some towns are property rich and some property poor and the property poor towns have to be aggressive at taxing what they can.

I looked up my towns requirements online (E code 360) realized that my "shed" did not meet the towns definition of a shed (enclosed structure >110sq ft) built my 5ft wide by 40ft long L structure w/ open sides and havent had any issues what so ever.

1650318155283.png
1650318593100.png

Last edited:
Don't know about your area - but definitely wood stove weather this Easter in New England.
Stove has been going for the past couple of days here on Cape Cod. I'd rather burn it than have to move it twice. Right now it's stacked where the (unpermitted) shed is going. :) (Speaking of sheds...)

I've been loading every night here, and we're usually a good bit warmer than Cape Cod, this time of year. Back down to 37F tonight, so I'll be loading again, after sunset.

Now a frost warning here in Conn. Looking at the forecast I'll probably be bringing more wood into the house. I wish I had a shed to take it from.

Apple blossom...

A frost warning?....LOL LOL...🤣...for what?...you guys grow oranges?
Yea really! The only thing I've got growing now are chives and scallions (and daffodils ) and they'll be fine. Planted some lettuce seeds over the weekend, but that doesn't count.

Yea really! The only thing I've got growing now are chives and scallions (and daffodils ) and they'll be fine. Planted some lettuce seeds over the weekend, but that doesn't count.
Yes around here too, but Stoveliker clarified the concern.

Ton a snow along the eastern land mass of the great lakes....up to 20+ inches.