Woodshed... Done (New Wood-stack Pics added!!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I told you before dex. But you've got us all beat. Tons of wood, easy access, great conditions for seasoning, and all done to perfection. So well that its actually attractive to look at. A limestone base can really keep things tidy.

Thanks to you Dex, I have an inferiority complex, & will never post pics of my wood stacks. LOL Seriously though, that looks great! I look forward to the drying experiment updates as well. The propane tank hidden in the woodpiles is about the best " up your's " to the big oil companies I've ever seen. A C

Those racks have just caused me to have an "Ah hah" moment. If needed, and someone had the ability, those could be made from steel and rolled anywhere with some good sized wheels.
For me, that would mean c/s/s into the rack, hook the rack to the tractor, then pull to the back field for drying. As needed, haul back up to the house and pull into a drive-through woodshed. There are some here with the skill to make something like that.
Just got me thinking, .....and yes, summer can be boring.

Well... I rotated the stock... The 1st 3 Racks I had built and filled are around 20% or lower M/C (Pine and Silver Maple). So they have started to Fill the Woodshed. I am going to get a couple loads of Ash tomorrow. I still have a little Silver Maple left to split. After this load of Ash (Or maybe 2). I am going to concentrate on Oaks. Because I will finally be 2 years ahead!!! So I can put up wood that will sit for 3 yrs. After tomorrow I should have over 9 Cord. Little over 5 in Racks, Almost 2 in Shed, and with 2 Loads of Ash in my Truck bed and my Trailer (6 x 9 w/ 36" side kit).

The Pellet stove upstairs will still be my "Main" source of heat. But I hope to reduce my Pellet consumption by half or better with the Englander 30... Cant Wait for Winter. Cant wait till Winter 2013-2014, so I can BURN some OAK. I am not even going to try it. That's why its all Silver Maple, Ash, and Cherry.

Attachments

• Being Filled (Woodshed).jpg
    Being Filled (Woodshed).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 3rd Stack (Propane).jpg
    3rd Stack (Propane).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 367
  • Silver Maple Left.jpg
    Silver Maple Left.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 370
DexterDay said:
Well... I rotated the stock... The 1st 3 Racks I had built and filled are around 20% or lower M/C (Pine and Silver Maple). So they have started to Fill the Woodshed.
Lookin' good, Dex! With 2-3 months of good drying weather left, you're in the driver's seat. :coolsmirk: Also looks like you separated wood types so you can pick whatever you want. I've done that for the most part, too.

DexterDay said:
I am going to get a couple loads of Ash tomorrow. I still have a little Silver Maple left to split. After this load of Ash (Or maybe 2). I am going to concentrate on Oaks. Because I will finally be 2 years ahead!!! So I can put up wood that will sit for 3 yrs.
Cant wait till Winter 2013-2014, so I can BURN some OAK. I am not even going to try it. That's why its all Silver Maple, Ash, and Cherry.
This is about what I'm doing, also. For us, I've got some dry wood to start with, then the Ash and Cherry I've gotten over the past couple of months. Only one SIL left to get 2011 wood for (today, got her scrounge wood; Red Maple which turned out to be sopping wet, and Ash which looks pretty dry. I'm going to get more Ash and look for some dead Cherry...one way or another, she'll have something that's dry. :)
I've got 1.3 cords of Black Oak, stacked in May, that I'm hoping to burn in the 2012 season. I'm stacking some Sugar Maple and Pignut ASAP, which almost certainly will be ready...but I'll have plenty of backup Ash just in case. It'll be nice to burn some dry Oak, etc, not the half-dry stuff I've had in the past...

Yes divided by species. Or try too. Now its on to the Birch, Oak, Hickory, Oasge Orange, Etc. Much Higher BTU wood..Got about 3 years worth now.. Almost 9-10 cord after today.

Dexter you have done a great job and can be proud. As you state, now you can get the oaks. You are in better shape for wood than 90% or more of the wood burners. For sure better than money in the bank. Maybe in time you'll even get rid of the pellet stove?!

Backwoods Savage said:
Dexter you have done a great job and can be proud. As you state, now you can get the oaks. You are in better shape for wood than 90% or more of the wood burners. For sure better than money in the bank. Maybe in time you'll even get rid of the pellet stove?!

I have 9 tons of Pellets left to burn, or 2-3 yrs worth. If this "Wood Thing" works out the way I want it to. I believe you could be right. I would sell the Old Englander and put the "Pretty Quad" in the Shop. Dont tell my Buddies that in the "Pellet Mill".......... LOL

About your Wood comment. It does make me feel good. In the last 3 months. I have been at it almost every day (Even if its just a little)

Getting ready to leave to go grab some Ash. Its 83 and Rising. I know a lot of people dont C/S/S in the summer, but I have NO Choice. After this year. I will "Kick-Back" and cut in the Cooler months and at a much slower pace. Been going like Gangbusters to try and get as much wood and take every Pro-Active step to increase my odds of a successful Season.

I cant believe how dry the Silver Maple is.. Only been 3 months. Went from over 50% to about 20%. Some a little higher. Some lower.

Dex - sweet job, bro. I have been dreading starting on my new drying section because I was not looking forward to digging out all the grass. What is this "KILLZ-ALL"? Is it like 'round-up'? I see you have a pup, too. Did you have to keep the dog away from the chemicals for a while? My entire yard is only about 65 x 50, and it is where the dogs run and play all day.

Yeah. Killz-all is like Round Up. But Better. Kills it faster and keeps the grass and weeds dead longer. You have to use 2.5 oz per gallon. Comes in a brown bottle that looks like Peroxide. Sells at the normal stores (Ace, Wal-Mart, and any DIY store). As for the Pup. I have 2. A 14 year old Mutt (Princess) and a 6 yr old German Shepard (Oscar). I keep them in for a few hrs. If I remeber reading the bottle right, its only about an hour or 2. Its rainproof in less than that. like 30 min and it could Rain, and it would still be good. Just picked up some Ash today. Not much. But it something.

Attachments

• Ash%201.jpg
    Ash%201.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Ash 2.jpg
    Ash 2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Ash 3.jpg
    Ash 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 249
These were taken 3 days after application. Made the Wife a new garden "Memorial Garden" for her parents. I use it around everything. So I dont have to Weedwack so much.
Then the pic of the last set of firewood racks before I laid down Gravel. Kills it good. And kills it all the 1st time.

Attachments

• 2 firewood rack.jpg
    2 firewood rack.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 269
  • wood stepping blocks 2.jpg
    wood stepping blocks 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 246
  • wood stepping blocks 3.jpg
    wood stepping blocks 3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG-20110806-00063.jpg
    IMG-20110806-00063.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG-20110806-00061.jpg
    IMG-20110806-00061.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 242
tfdchief said:
Nice looking place DD. Wood stacks are are neat and look great....makes me feel warm! Love pics.

Its looks alright. But its a lot of work. My neighbor can be seen in the background of some pics. We have competition on how good our grass looks. I am a perfectionist. If I do it... I do it right the 1st time and take Pride in everything I do. here is a pic of my Front yard.. I only have True-Green (Chem-Lawn) come once a year in April. Just to insure there are no Dandilions. I HATE them.

Have to have Straight lines in my Grass.... Unrelated to the Topic. But here are more pics.

Attachments

• IMG00699-20110709-1520.jpg
    IMG00699-20110709-1520.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG00701-20110710-1625.jpg
    IMG00701-20110710-1625.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 297
DexterDay said:
Well. I liked the racks sooo much.. I have bought more.. You can see from the pics above, that there has been a little work done in the last month.. Killed all the grass with Killz-all weed killer, Laid down River Rock and laid out Landscaping Timbers to keep the rock contained.. Thats as pretty as "Momma" is gonna get it. I do have to admit, it does look pretty good. Over time, I am pretty sure the bark falling off the splits/stacks will make it look messy. But its a road I will cross when I get there.. Now just gotta fill up these last 2 stacks (12ft long x 4.5 ft tall/ Half Cord per Rack. Still have over a cord of wood left from a guy i made a "Trade" with. So far I have got over 2 cord from him. Its all 2 years old. Some Cherry, Silver and Sugar Maple, and Ash. I was trying to Identify and stack accordingly when I got it home. But that was taking way too long. I have the Cherry contained in certain stacks.

I know that some say its a little over-kill. But the Ol'Lady wanted it to look good. So I made it look good.....

Dex, on all fronts it looks great and it's always nice when the boss is happy, keep on truckin.

zap

DexterDay said:
Well. I liked the racks sooo much.. I have bought more.. You can see from the pics above, that there has been a little work done in the last month.. Killed all the grass with Killz-all weed killer, Laid down River Rock and laid out Landscaping Timbers to keep the rock contained.. Thats as pretty as "Momma" is gonna get it. I do have to admit, it does look pretty good. Over time, I am pretty sure the bark falling off the splits/stacks will make it look messy. But its a road I will cross when I get there.. Now just gotta fill up these last 2 stacks (12ft long x 4.5 ft tall/ Half Cord per Rack. Still have over a cord of wood left from a guy i made a "Trade" with. So far I have got over 2 cord from him. Its all 2 years old. Some Cherry, Silver and Sugar Maple, and Ash. I was trying to Identify and stack accordingly when I got it home. But that was taking way too long. I have the Cherry contained in certain stacks.

I know that some say its a little over-kill. But the Ol'Lady wanted it to look good. So I made it look good.....

Dexter,

Where can I get those metal brackets that you have used for those six racks? I would love to build something like that to stack wood behind my house. Looks like it would keep things really nice and neat and allow me to figure out exactly what I have on hand.

Also, why do you say they only hold a half cord? Is the length of the wood less than 24"? I would guess you are cutting at around 16" in length if that is the case. I'm going with almost 24" cuts so I should be able to get close to a cord in a rack like that.

fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

Dexter,

Where can I get those metal brackets that you have used for those six racks? I would love to build something like that to stack wood behind my house. Looks like it would keep things really nice and neat and allow me to figure out exactly what I have on hand.

Also, why do you say they only hold a half cord? Is the length of the wood less than 24"? I would guess you are cutting at around 16" in length if that is the case. I'm going with almost 24" cuts so I should be able to get close to a cord in a rack like that.

Well. Not knowing any better about the measurement of the stack. I made them 12' long x 4.5' tall. Have heard to make the stacks 4.5' and they will "Shrink" (Season) down to 4 '. So I just call them 1/2 cord racks. At 24" lengths, it would be almost a cord, or around .84. At 18-19" lengths as I cut (The 30 cant take a 24" like the Lopi Liberty/ or your Stove), then they hold .63 cord.

The Brackets are made by Rutland. They are sold at many DIY places. I buy mine through NorthlineExpress. They can be had for under $20 and yes it does give you an exact idea of how much wood you have on hand, along with not looking that shabby either. http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5RU-30360/Stack-N-Store-Log-Rack-Brackets

There was a Forum member that said he was going to install large casters on some racks. So that he can move a large amount of wood up to the house in the Winter.

Hope this helps. Off to Work.... Ugh.

DexterDay said:
fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

Dexter,

Well. Not knowing any better about the measurement of the stack. I made them 12' long x 4.5' tall. Have heard to make the stacks 4.5' and they will "Shrink" (Season) down to 4 '. So I just call them 1/2 cord racks. At 24" lengths, it would be almost a cord, or around .84. At 18-19" lengths as I cut (The 30 cant take a 24" like the Lopi Liberty/ or your Stove), then they hold .63 cord.

The Brackets are made by Rutland. They are sold at many DIY places. I buy mine through NorthlineExpress. They can be had for under $20 and yes it does give you an exact idea of how much wood you have on hand, along with not looking that shabby either. http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5RU-30360/Stack-N-Store-Log-Rack-Brackets

There was a Forum member that said he was going to install large casters on some racks. So that he can move a large amount of wood up to the house in the Winter.

Thanks for the link. After looking at it, the more I think about it, the more I think I am going to go with something called a dado joint versus buying those metal brackets. Just trying to save some money.

fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:
fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

Dexter,

Thanks for the link. After looking at it, the more I think about it, the more I think I am going to go with something called a dado joint versus buying those metal brackets. Just trying to save some money.

You can get some corner brackets at home depot cheaper, Ive used both, the ones dex has and I bought some from home depot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.