Woodstock progress vs hearthstone equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How cold does it get there? Single digits? Below zero? How well does the stove heat on the coldest days?
Northern Michigan. Exposed to winds off of Lake Michigan even though it's a few miles away. Attic insulated at R60. 6" walls with, presumably, batt insulation. Windows... Casement that aren't terribly tight, but aren't bad enough to upgrade. 1800 sq ft. Frequent single digits and I've seen 35 below. The stove keeps up and does the job. Mornings in the most extreme weather makes for a cool house before the stove gets going again, but

(Whoops) ...but not uncomfortable. Heating season here is 8 to 9 months long and I can go without using the furnace on 3-4 cord.

(Whoops) ...but not uncomfortable. Heating season here is 8 to 9 months long and I can go without using the furnace on 3-4 cord.
Thanks. This is the kind of info I need. We see 20 below here. Usually last for a few days. I need a stove with a bigger firebox and longer Burn time. I want to keep the house around 70 during the entire winter.

What color did you choose? You are coming to the picnic this year?

Yes they have a nice spread, beer included! Factory floor open, designers and employees hanging out. Stoves in various stages of completion. Usually in September. Last year they had a nice display, PH's in a row each a different color. Mine is charcoal but seeing the lightest one in metallic grey was really striking.

What type of fire view do you have with a progress? How long do flames burn before the cat takes over?

What type of fire view do you have with a progress? How long do flames burn before the cat takes over?
On a bed of coals... It hardly takes any time at all. With a cold start... I've never timed it, but I'd guess 10-30 minutes and maybe 40 minutes until I can fully close down the damper. It seems to take longer with a smaller load or, god forbid, if there is some wet wood! My morning routine involves about an hour of reading and coffee. The stove has always been fully up and running well before I need to begin my work of the day.

The window is big enough that you know you're looking at a real fire and can truly enjoy it. The secondaries last for a few hours. Rolling flames from the wood stop when I close the damper, but there are usually whisps that rise to meet the secondaries. After the flames die, the coals give off a lot of heat, but the stove will start a slow march to cooler temperatures. If I reloaded to be able to watch flames the whole time, I'd be baked out of the house.

You mention the cat taking over... Be aware that it needs to be manually engaged once the stove gets to temp for it to work. I could be wrong, but I think the blaze kings may be automatic if you need to light a fire and go. Maybe a BK owner can chime in?

On a bed of coals... It hardly takes any time at all. With a cold start... I've never timed it, but I'd guess 10-30 minutes and maybe 40 minutes until I can fully close down the damper. It seems to take longer with a smaller load or, god forbid, if there is some wet wood! My morning routine involves about an hour of reading and coffee. The stove has always been fully up and running well before I need to begin my work of the day.

The window is big enough that you know you're looking at a real fire and can truly enjoy it. The secondaries last for a few hours. Rolling flames from the wood stop when I close the damper, but there are usually whisps that rise to meet the secondaries. After the flames die, the coals give off a lot of heat, but the stove will start a slow march to cooler temperatures. If I reloaded to be able to watch flames the whole time, I'd be baked out of the house.

You mention the cat taking over... Be aware that it needs to be manually engaged once the stove gets to temp for it to work. I could be wrong, but I think the blaze kings may be automatic if you need to light a fire and go. Maybe a BK owner can chime in?

Thanks, this is great info. Very much appreciated. We won't be going with Blaze King because neither me or my wife really like how they look. Especially my wife. I just wanted to know about the fireview because the whole family sits in the family room every night and enjoys the stove and the heat from the stove. Woodburning to us is more than just heating the house. It's quality time. I enjoy the work..cutting wood, splitting stacking, my wife enjoys keeping warm 5 or 6 months out of the year.

Reactions: chance04
As I understand it the cat is always working. The exhaust from the firebox goes right through the cat (if you have the bypass closed), so if there is any unburned smoke or gas left, the cat takes care of them.

Be aware that the box can go dark, if you shut the air all the way down, but still produce TONS of heat. (This is not to discourage you about watching the fire.) It was about 15 degrees here this morning. When I loaded up this morning after 13 hours, I had secondaries for about 3 or 4 hours, and then the box went dark, and it was in all cat mode. Some secondaries may start up for a few minutes, then die down again, then start up again. It's really beautiful.

l need to shut the air down completely if the outside temps are teens or above, otherwise I get baked out of the house.

Yes they have a nice spread, beer included! Factory floor open, designers and employees hanging out. Stoves in various stages of completion. Usually in September. Last year they had a nice display, PH's in a row each a different color. Mine is charcoal but seeing the lightest one in metallic grey was really striking.
Sounds like fun. I wish I was closer. 2200 miles away. Seems like a nice area to visit in September. Do you get people from all over attending?

As I understand it the cat is always working. The exhaust from the firebox goes right through the cat (if you have the bypass closed), so if there is any unburned smoke or gas left, the cat takes care of them.

Be aware that the box can go dark, if you shut the air all the way down, but still produce TONS of heat. (This is not to discourage you about watching the fire.) It was about 15 degrees here this morning. When I loaded up this morning after 13 hours, I had secondaries for about 3 or 4 hours, and then the box went dark, and it was in all cat mode. Some secondaries may start up for a few minutes, then die down again, then start up again. It's really beautiful.

l need to shut the air down completely if the outside temps are teens or above, otherwise I get baked out of the house.
The cat only functions if the temperature is high enough to start the reaction (smoke burn) with the catalyst. I believe the exhaust needs to be above 500 which woodstock says is attained when the stove top is something like 250-300 degrees. If the cat is run below this, soot etc can accumulate/block/degrade the cat. Also, the cat will restrict airflow, making it more difficult to get a good fire going quickly. Getting to temp quick is helpful in minimizing soot/creosote accumulation in the chimney.

As for running dark. Yep! The hottest stovetop temp I've seen was during a dark burn with the cat engaged and the damper closed down. It was nearing over-fire temp, so I opened the bypass and the draft, got some flame, then cracked the door to let the temp drop some. After this, I had secondaries at a more typical stovetop temp. My guess is that the chimney draw was "just right" on a day with no wind, allowing the cat to really get going at a constant draft that didn't have enough oomph to get the flames going within the firebox. It's happened once, as far as I know.

Because of this event, I don't close down the damper until the stovetop is nearing 450-500. At that point, the secondaries don't stop until I'm at coaling stage. I don't think this is the most efficient way to burn, but I get enough heat with an amount of wood/day that I'm okay with.

How cold does it get there? Single digits? Below zero? How well does the stove heat on the coldest days?
This year single digits have been the lowest but it's not unusual to go below zero, last year we had a low of -18. It needs help once we get that cold but I'm heating 2800 sf. The first level is really warm even when it's zero it's just the upper level gets low 60s when it's that cold, doesn't cut it for my wife. If it was just me I'd never turn the furnace on.

Sounds like fun. I wish I was closer. 2200 miles away. Seems like a nice area to visit in September. Do you get people from all over attending?
I have actually heard of people coming from the midwest. And yes it is a nice place to visit, right over the Vt border. Places to visit. Montshire museum. A science museum where the exhibits are mainly made by local craftspeople. VINS a rapture rehabilitation center. Quechee Gorge. And the fall colors.

The Progress has 2 panes of glass like a double pane window. Always clean, never have I had any black. At 300 stove top temp I engage cat and set it just a touch above closed. Goes to 400 to 450. Flames throughout for hours. If I close all the way, temp stays but flames go out.

The cat only functions if the temperature is high enough to start the reaction (smoke burn) with the catalyst. I believe the exhaust needs to be above 500 which woodstock says is attained when the stove top is something like 250-300 degrees.
I don't know if it's the same with the PH but with the Keystone, I can run my flue temp (taken on a surface meter that's lying on the tee snout about 6" back) to about 500 or so, hold it there for ten minutes, then I can get a reliable light-off even though the stove top may be well below the recommended 250....maybe only 150-170. The bigger mass of the PH must be offset by having secondary burning to heat up the stove faster, because my light-off times are about the same as @bfitz3 is seeing.

Always have flame, or I should say 95% of the time, I can turn it down early for cat only burn with no flame but in a half hour or so I get the secondaries rolling. How much square feet you heating?

Always have flame, or I should say 95% of the time, I can turn it down early for cat only burn with no flame but in a half hour or so I get the secondaries rolling. How much square feet you heating?
I am heating about 2200 sq ft. I don't need to heat every room. Just the areas my wife uses.

The Progress has 2 panes of glass like a double pane window. Always clean, never have I had any black. At 300 stove top temp I engage cat and set it just a touch above closed. Goes to 400 to 450. Flames throughout for hours. If I close all the way, temp stays but flames go out.

That's great to know. We like to watch the fire as the stove will be located in the main family room.

I am heating about 2200 sq ft. I don't need to heat every room. Just the areas my wife uses.
It'll do that no problem. I put a thermo in the family room where the stove is yesterday, room is big, 600sf, temp was 89 and that was near the end of the burn. I wouldn't have guesses that cause it didn't feel that hot.felt nice actually.

Hello all,

I am looking for some feedback on these stoves. I have a 4200 sq' house all on one level. It's kinda cut up and I know that whatever I get is going to need a little help. We live in Wyoming and have had some 20 below temps the last couple months.

I want the most heat I can get but the ability to get some decent burn times as well. Don't we all. Lol

I saw on the Woodstock site that the progress with a 2.8 cubic foot firebox is supposed to put out more heat than the equinox with a 4' box. But on the hearthstone site it says the equinox puts out 120k btu compared to 80k for the progress.

My question is can it really? There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

Thanks!
Joyboy when it's all said and done for your square footage you'll need two stoves at -20.The other folks with the PH are heating far less space.With one PH you'll need the furnace to help it along when it gets real cold.So be mentally prepared for this set up.

Reactions: bfitz3

3-4 cord in Northern Michigan? Wow! I gotta get me one of those stoves! I am going through 6-7 cord a season. I am burning all kinds of hard and some soft wood (shoulder season). I heat 2200 sq. ft. with a competitors soapstone stove.

Joyboy when it's all said and done for your square footage you'll need two stoves at -20.The other folks with the PH are heating far less space.With one PH you'll need the furnace to help it along when it gets real cold.So be mentally prepared for this set up.
I'm heating 2800sf. Did need help from the furnace at minus 18 though.

I agree. I am getting a quote from a blaze king dealer on the new ashford insert. We do have another fireplace that we could put one in. The dealer didn't even have a price for it yet. She was checking on availability and price.
I like the thought of the progress doing the heavy lifting but like the idea of the long blaze king burn times. If we have another stove it will need to be pretty frugal with wood. I don't know, just brainstorming right now.

Nomal feb night time tep is ~20 f

Last year it got below 0f for a couple of nights

PH worked fine