Woodstock progress vs hearthstone equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Put my order in for the progress.

In the end I chose the Woodstock because of their reputation of the ability for either high heat output or long burn times. Their satisfaction guarantee and product support.

I still think the equinox would be a monster heater but don't want to spend 5k to find out. I'm now wish I had a million dollars to spend on stoves so I could test them all. This process might have become an addiction. Lol
I think you made a good decision. I'm not so sure the equinox is a "monster" heater...

It's says "long 14 hour burn" right on their website. Woodstock is always conservative with their burn time specs. My Ideal Steel has no problem with 12 + hours.
I saw that, but some manufactures really stretch be "burn time". Or everyone has their own defination of Burn time. I just want to ask actual owners about their experience with the different stoves.

I saw that, but some manufactures really stretch be "burn time". Or everyone has their own defination of Burn time. I just want to ask actual owners about their experience with the different stoves.
All the stoves I've had in my home, probably 10 or so different stoves. All could get 8-12 hour burns without too much pushing, all had huge temperature swings though. I've had 3 Blaze kings, all easily got 30+ hours of steady heat, with a large amount of coals left after the 30 hours or more. Even on the coldest nights the burn times would blow away the other stoves I've had.

From the few people that have replied who actually own one, heat output wasn't a concern. Being wood hungry and eats wood like a tiger were some of the concerns I read.
Yes. For the size and the money wouldn't you think being a heat monster would have been mentioned if it were the case? Instead wood eating monster is mentioned.. That's all I've heard.

Put my order in for the progress.
In the end I chose the Woodstock because of their reputation of the ability for either high heat output or long burn times. Their satisfaction guarantee and product support.

I still think the equinox would be a monster heater but don't want to spend 5k to find out. I'm now wish I had a million dollars to spend on stoves so I could test them all. This process might have become an addiction. Lol
That is one sweet stove - probably one of the best on the market today. A real looker. You done good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Do you think I can get 12 hour burns with oak and red elm with the progress hybrid? That what I want. I font need a 20 hour burn. Thanks Bucky
It's says "long 14 hour burn" right on their website. Woodstock is always conservative with their burn time specs. My Ideal Steel has no problem with 12 + hours.
Yeah, 12 should be no problem. Red Elm isn't as good as Oak, but I bet it would get 12 hrs. on just a load of Red Elm.

Last edited:
Do you think I can get 12 hour burns with oak and red elm with the progress hybrid? That what I want. I font need a 20 hour burn. Thanks Bucky
I have read several of bucky's posts on different threads and he says he regularly gets 12 hour burns on hardwood. I think he burns oak. I have also read many posts from other Progress owners who report similar results. I guess a lot depends on how hard you run the stove, house heat loss, and climate. Next time bucky signs on he will probably give you more details......same goes for other progress owners.

I just loaded my progress, loaded it last night at midnight so a little over 12 hours, I can do two 12 hour burns or when it's cold I do an overnight then two smaller loads in the day to get more heat.

We did 13 hrs last night on a hardwood/softwood mix. 31F outside and blowing 20+ mph straight out of Canada.

Reactions: Woody Stover
says he regularly gets 12 hour burns on hardwood. I think he burns oak. I have also read many posts from other Progress owners who report similar results....a lot depends on how hard you run the stove, house heat loss, and climate.
If Woodstock's advertised numbers run similar to how they do for my Keystone, I'd have confidence in them, and many have said they are conservative. For example, for the Keystone, they say area heated ranges from 800-1300 sq.ft, burn time 8-10 hrs. Granted, I live in a moderate climate, but I have sub-standard air-sealing and wall insulation. I do have blown-in cellulose in the attic, 2x6 joists. House is 1000 sq.ft. Down to about 10*, with wind, I can hold upper 60s room temp loading at 8 hrs. with Red Oak or White Ash.

We did 13 hrs last night on a hardwood/softwood mix. 31F outside and blowing 20+ mph straight out of Canada.

I read your reviews on your pacific energy Alderlea t6. I am very impressed with that stove. I would buy one tomarrow because of the long burn times and the lifetime warranty on the stove. The stainless steel baffle looks awesome. I just don't think I can convince my wife. I know she wants soapstone.

Can't go wrong with either choice but the wife usually gets the last word.

That's right. I am sure we will go with the progress. Probably at the end of the season. I plan to put my heritage on craigslist. It just burns to much wood.

Reactions: webby3650
I read your reviews on your pacific energy Alderlea t6. I am very impressed with that stove. I would buy one tomarrow because of the long burn times and the lifetime warranty on the stove. The stainless steel baffle looks awesome. I just don't think I can convince my wife. I know she wants soapstone.
That is the golden rule. I couldn't install the Progress due to clearances and wife disapproval factor. She does not like soapstone, go figure. You should be very happy with that stove. Woodstock is a good company.

I loaded up with all oak last night. Overnight temp was around 18. Easily went 12 hours, with tons of coals left over. It could have gone another 2 or 3 hours, but I had to get to work, so I reloaded. The 12-14 hour burn times listed on Woodstock's website are conservative.

So you're basing this opinion on the fact that some say their steel stove is a 'monster heater' ? Well that makes all the difference. Surely it must be fact then. You are amazing.
Dude. Give it a rest. The marketing gurus for soapstone companies use the included graph to show that soapstone is smooth heater, not a monster like steel/cast stoves. Aggressive attitudes are not needed. Webby3650 probably knows more about woodstoves than you and I will ever know combined. Getting sand in one's undies over his opinions expressed in a forum is a fools errand.

As for sciency stuff... The area under each curve below is roughly the same. Every stove will throw roughly (efficiency)% of the BTUs loaded into it. Some stoves throw it quickly, some over time. For some people, frequent reloads in a steel stove will get them much more household heat than they could get with a soapstone stove. That, of course, comes with loading more BTUs (aka wood) into the stove.

For me, I don't need intense heat. I need it over time. With that, I'll say my PH has been awesome and I won't look back on my decision to get it. I also won't begrudge someone for whom a soapstone stove is not the right decision.

Peace.

image.jpg

Reactions: lsucet
Those curves look like they chose a small capacity stove to represent steel. Our cast-iron jacketed stove has a much flatter, longer curve. It's more like the soapstone but with a higher top end if you want to push the stove there, but it's not necessary to.

Last edited:
You wil be happy with the PH

I've had mine for ~4years and could not be happier

Give some thought to the hearth.. They require ~
18 in back and sides
24 inch in front (smaller if you order their "lip")

You wil be happy with the PH

I've had mine for ~4years and could not be happier

Give some thought to the hearth.. They require ~
18 in back and sides
24 inch in front (smaller if you order their "lip")
I will do. The reason I ordered right now instead of the off season is so I could mock up the stove and design the hearth around it. No unpleasant surprises.

How cold does it get there? Single digits? Below zero? How well does the stove heat on the coldest days?