Woodstock progress vs hearthstone equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Personally I've not seen durability issues with hinge pins or latches. It's been cracked stones and Castings.

I rarely ever service a Hearthstone stove that doesn't have a cracked stone somewhere on the stove. Last year we had to replace an Equinox under warranty because the iron frame cracked.. I know crap happens, but I've seen way too many cracked stoves to get me to push one. Not to mention trying to heat with one for a while...
My Hearthstone Mansfield of nearly 20 years has the original stones none cracked.

I've never heard any impressive feedback from an equinox owner, some reviews are ok. It better be more than ok for that kinda weight and price! My Mansfield was very unimpressive, my little buck 21 outperformed it!
In my home with insulation needs My Mansfield outheated the following stoves which I owned over the years;PE Summit,Woodstock Classic and fireview,Lopi Liberty,Performer Z,one smoke dragon,and a small coal stove.Whew !

Don't get me wrong, the progress is leading the pack in the race right now. But I'm still going to look at everything. I'm the kind of guy that likes to turn levers, open doors and see the level of craftsmanship of something before I buy.

This would be the largest thing I've ever purchased without laying eyes on it personally. Which bothers me. Lol.

The 6 month warranty with free return shipping does help with that some but it's not completely risk free. I assume I would still be on the hook for the $712 original shipping.
Ya you will be on the hook for shipping it back.I was when I shipped back the Fireview.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are really nice heaters. Soapstone is hindered when it comes to throwing big heat compared to a steel stove. Yes it has "heat life" I know. But I just don't see how it could ever claim to have higher btus than say the NC30?
Your silliness never ceases to amaze. You think you know all there is to know about soapstone based on the one brand that you owned. Listen up – the PH does take longer to warm up then a steel stove, but once it does it is cable of putting out enough heat to melt your room. How do I know, because I own one.

Reactions: JA600L
Yep, you'll find some head-scratchers on that chart. Makes it tough to get an objective comparison....even users' testimonies for the same stove have to take into account different setups, layouts, climates and operating styles. For me the numbers have rung pretty true; In the same house and setup, the Fireview put out more than the Keystone, which put out more than the Dutchwest. But I have heard a couple people say they were underwhelmed by the Eq output. Looking at it, you'd think it was a flame-thrower, but apparently not so much.
It sounds like your Fireview was your best stove.Why are you with a Keystone rather than a Fireview ?

Don't get me wrong, the progress is leading the pack in the race right now. But I'm still going to look at everything. I'm the kind of guy that likes to turn levers, open doors and see the level of craftsmanship of something before I buy.

This would be the largest thing I've ever purchased without laying eyes on it personally. Which bothers me. Lol.

The 6 month warranty with free return shipping does help with that some but it's not completely risk free. I assume I would still be on the hook for the $712 original shipping.

I know it's a long way.. but a trip to the Woodstock factory might help.

For me, one look at the factory floor and the stove in operation was enough to convince me.

That, and I liked the guide to stove assembly and testing by the staff, really nice well informed people, fanatics really when it comes to stove construction. It's been a few years,but I think they were ready to let my wife choose her own soapstone slab

I also liked the test bed.. a stove on a commercial scale.

Nt sure, but I think the PH was designed by an independent designer, and then tweaked by the Woodstock staff

Your silliness never ceases to amaze. You think you know all there is to know about soapstone based on the one brand that you owned. Listen up – the PH does take longer to warm up then a steel stove, but once it does it is cable of putting out enough heat to melt your room. How do I know, because I own one.
Mine throws a tremendous amount of heat. Been heating my house no problem tonight and its in the 20's. Only ever had the princess insert and this one gives more heat than the other did.

Last edited:
In my home with insulation needs My Mansfield outheated the following stoves...PE Summit,....Lopi Liberty
Those are a couple stoves I figured would be pretty strong. I've seen the Liberty running in a shop here, and it was tossin' da heat...EPA claims 45 K. The EPA #s don't bear out what you're saying about the stoves, what the mfrs. say on their sites don't jibe with the EPA, and posters all say something different. We, the consumers, are pretty much left to take a stab in the dark and hope it works out. I ask you, is this any way to live?? It's not right!! ;lol But one advantage I did have was that my SIL had picked up a used Fireview, so I had seen the quality and was comfortable ordering their stuff.
It sounds like your Fireview was your best stove.Why are you with a Keystone rather than a Fireview ?
First I got the Keystone, great deal when the 30% Fed tax rebate was still on. It definitely put out more than the Dutchwest, but it was still hard to keep up in cold, windy conditions. I grabbed a Fireview when a particularly good sale came up. It gave me more power, but I missed the clean, easy ash handling I'd had with the Dutchwest, and then the Ks. The Keystone also has a big window; You can see the cat glowing from the couch, or if you're a little above the stove, you can see the cat reflecting off the combustor scoop. Also much easier to see more of what's going on in the box when you are ramping up a fresh load. I started thinking that with another year's drying on my wood, and some more air-sealing on the house, the Ks should keep up better when it got nasty out, so I got to work on that. My BIL was running an old VC Resolute III, so he bought the Fireview and we moved the Resolute to his downstairs fireplace. The Keystone is doing well, higher output with drier wood, but in the single digits and wind, room temp still drops to 65-68*. I still have more weatherization that can be done...sealing other air leaks I've found, plus electrical outlets and light fixtures in the ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
I wasn't saying your stove doesn't throw heat. I'm saying I don't see anyway a soapstone stove could chart higher on the BTU chart than a big steel stove. Especially one that's known here to be a monster heater. I never claimed to know everything about anything. Nor do I call people silly for sharing their experiences. I hope I can prevent some people from wasting their money on a stove that won't hold up well or heat their home well.

I wasn't saying your stove doesn't throw heat. I'm saying I don't see anyway a soapstone stove could chart higher on the BTU chart than a big steel stove. Especially one that's known here to be a monster heater. I never claimed to know everything about anything. Nor do I call people silly for sharing their experiences. I hope I can prevent some people from wasting their money on a stove that won't hold up well or heat their home well.
And exactly what stove would that be?

So you're basing this opinion on the fact that some say their steel stove is a 'monster heater' ? Well that makes all the difference. Surely it must be fact then. You are amazing.

Yes, and soapstone is not the ideal delivery method if you are looking for maximum about of heat being delivered to the room..
OH, well that was not my personal feeling. Can you please share some scientific facts and figures to support this. This is the perfect opportunity for you to put that engineering degree to work. When you state misleading information as fact, it hurts all of us.

Last edited:
OH, well that was not my personal feeling. Can you please share some scientific facts and figures to support this. This is the perfect opportunity for you to put that engineering degree to work. When you state misleading information as fact, it hurts all of us.
New members come on here all the time that are confrontational. It's ok, I'll still be here next season.:p

Reactions: jeff_t
So you're basing this opinion on the fact that some say their steel stove is a 'monster heater' ? Well that makes all the difference. Surely it must be fact then. You are amazing.
just the same, several PH owners claim that it's the only stove anyone would ever want. Many of these folks have never owned anything else to compare it to. I have never been around on while it was running, although I have installed a few and have seen their quality first hand. They are fine stoves! No doubt about it.

I have been around a bunch of Hearthstones, and owned a Mansfield, my personal experience is that it was a wood hog that didn't heat all that well. Many Others here agree.

just the same, several PH owners claim that it's the only stove anyone would ever want. Many of these folks have never owned anything else to compare it to. I have never been around on while it was running, although I have installed a few and have seen their quality first hand. They are fine stoves! No doubt about it.

I have been around a bunch of Hearthstones, and owned a Mansfield, my personal experience is that it was a wood hog that didn't heat all that well. Many Others here agree.
Perfectly fine for you to share your personal experience with a particular stove, but not ok for you to make assumptions about other stoves you have no experience with and state those assumptions as facts. You just comes across like a 'fanboy' with a hidden agenda.

Last edited:
just the same, several PH owners claim that it's the only stove anyone would ever want. Many of these folks have never owned anything else to compare it to.
WOW, where did that come from.... I'm just questioning you about your statement/claim that soapstone is a inferior heater compared to steel. I would like you to share some scientific facts to support that.

Last edited:
Those are a couple stoves I figured would be pretty strong. I've seen the Liberty running in a shop here, and it was tossin' da heat...EPA claims 45 K. The EPA #s don't bear out what you're saying about the stoves, what the mfrs. say on their sites don't jibe with the EPA, and posters all say something different. We, the consumers, are pretty much left to take a stab in the dark and hope it works out. I ask you, is this any way to live?? It's not right!! ;lol But one advantage I did have was that my SIL had picked up a used Fireview, so I had seen the quality and was comfortable ordering their stuff.
First I got the Keystone, great deal when the 30% Fed tax rebate was still on. It definitely put out more than the Dutchwest, but it was still hard to keep up in cold, windy conditions. I grabbed a Fireview when a particularly good sale came up. It gave me more power, but I missed the clean, easy ash handling I'd had with the Dutchwest, and then the Ks. The Keystone also has a big window; You can see the cat glowing from the couch, or if you're a little above the stove, you can see the cat reflecting off the combustor scoop. Also much easier to see more of what's going on in the box when you are ramping up a fresh load. I started thinking that with another year's drying on my wood, and some more air-sealing on the house, the Ks should keep up better when it got nasty out, so I got to work on that. My BIL was running an old VC Resolute III, so he bought the Fireview and we moved the Resolute to his downstairs fireplace. The Keystone is doing well, higher output with drier wood, but in the single digits and wind, room temp still drops to 65-68*. I still have more weatherization that can be done...sealing other air leaks I've found, plus electrical outlets and light fixtures in the ceiling.
Sounds to me the Mansfield would give you more heat a better fit.The Liberty and the Summit purchases were influenced by what I read on this site.They both were a disappointment for my situation.I sold them.I also had the Blaze King King.However I didn't have it installed with the right size piping so smoke would come out the door every time I opened the door so I sold that.I didn't want to do a reconstruction to put in the 8" pipe so I had the 8 going into the 6" piping.Bad Idea.Even so I was getting 17hr burns.I'd say the Mansfield and the King gave off the same amount of heat the King just gave it off longer.

Woody at first you said the Fireview put out more than the Keystone.Now your saying the Keystone is giving you higher output than the Fireview.Which is the fact ?

WOW, where did that come from.... I'm just questioning you about your statement/claim that soapstone is a inferior heater compared to steel. I would like you to share some scientific facts to support that.
Yo Bucky just so you know I'm heating my home with two soapstone stoves.One in the basement and one on the first floor.I had the Mansfield in the basement and a Summit on the first floor.The Summit didn't do the job.I sold it.A lopi liberty replaced the summit.It also failed and got sold.I moved the Mansfield to the first floor and put another soapstone in the basement and it became "now that's what I'm talking about".I have a home which has insulation needs.I run just the Mansfield when the temps are in the high teens and above and I run both stoves when it's low teens and below.This set up keeps us toasty.I'll work on the insulation needs a bit more after this winter.I can only do so much at a time financially.and that's ok.The LOPI and the Summit may be great in homes with good to great insulation but didn't work for me.Folks need stoves that will do the job according to their home insulation needs.Mine was trial and error, tedious but doable.Maybe others can learn from my journey and take an easier route.It was worth it though.

Yo Bucky just so you know I'm heating my home with two soapstone stoves.One in the basement and one on the first floor.I had the Mansfield in the basement and a Summit on the first floor.The Summit didn't do the job.I sold it.A lopi liberty replaced the summit.It also failed and got sold.I moved the Mansfield to the first floor and put another soapstone in the basement and it became "now that's what I'm talking about".I have a home which has insulation needs.I run just the Mansfield when the temps are in the high teens and above and I run both stoves when it's low teens and below.This set up keeps us toasty.I'll work on the insulation needs a bit more after this winter.I can only do so much at a time financially.and that's ok.The LOPI and the Summit may be great in homes with good to great insulation but didn't work for me.Folks need stoves that will do the job according to their home insulation needs.Mine was trial and error, tedious but doable.Maybe others can learn from my journey and take an easier route.It was worth it though.
Trial and error is sometimes what it takes to find the right match. One size does not fit all. I'm glad things are working for you now...perseverance is often the key to success. Keep warm.

Woody at first you said the Fireview put out more than the Keystone.Now your saying the Keystone is giving you higher output than the Fireview.Which is the fact ?

I read it as the Keystone having more output compared to first time he had it installed, due to the drier wood. At least that's my interpretation.

Reactions: Woody Stover
New members come on here all the time that are confrontational. It's ok, I'll still be here next season.:p

Seriously, he/she is really trying to pick a fight. Seems to always be butthurt about something.

I had a stone stove and it performed as advertised, worked fine, the stone did not help and actually hurt me due to slow warm ups.

The ph specs out to be a great stove not because of the stone material but because of the combustion engineering. It's why the steel version, the ideal steel, is also a great performer.

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650