Woodstock progress vs hearthstone equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would prefer good heat, looks stunning,very little wood usage and low cost. Hmm. I might be wanting a little much.

Sounds like a Woodstock is right up your alley. PH model seems perfect. Woodstocks are much cheaper with much higher performance and satisfaction ratings than a hearthstone.

Reactions: ddddddden
Just to get the obvious out there...do you really need to heat all 4200 sf, or do you close off some of the house in the winter?

We heat the entire house. But I don't expect the stove to do everything. This house has two gas fired boilers, two masonry fireplaces, one wall hung gas furnace and one wood cook stove.

The first winter month we owned the house the gas bill was $450. We put in a free burning fireplace insert and brought our costs down to $150 a month in the winter. We were able to shutdown 1 boiler and it took some of the load off the other boiler as well.

We've burned this insert for 10 years but last month it caught on fire. We are hoping to get alot better heat output from a stove.

Well, the Progress Hybrid is a beast. I heat 2400 sf easily down into the single digits (keeping the far part of the house in the low 70s). If soapstone is high on the list, this stove is probably what you want. It is gorgeous!

Well, the Progress Hybrid is a beast. I heat 2400 sf easily down into the single digits (keeping the far part of the house in the low 70s). If soapstone is high on the list, this stove is probably what you want. It is gorgeous!

and it will be head and shoulders better performing than any hearthstone product. Cheaper too. Hearthstones have really gotten expensive.

How much wood do you use a year? I'm interested even though anything has got to be better than what i had.

and it will be head and shoulders better performing than any hearthstone product. Cheaper too. Hearthstones have really gotten expensive.

I will take your word and many others on the heating output part. But by the time i pay for shipping the progress isn't all that cheap. It's on sale right now for a $1000 off and by the time it gets to me it's about $3800. If it wasn't on sale it would be more than the equinox. I'm not saying it's not worth it but i would be basing purchase more on reputation of heating better and durability.

How much wood do you use a year? I'm interested even though anything has got to be better than what i had.

I haven't used it a full year, yet, but probably 3 cord. And this is mostly hardwood (oak, sugar maple, etc.)

Mine is a heritage. I think the new models look a little different but have not looked real close at them.

I will take your word and many others on the heating output part. But by the time i pay for shipping the progress isn't all that cheap. It's on sale right now for a $1000 off and by the time it gets to me it's about $3800. If it wasn't on sale it would be more than the equinox. I'm not saying it's not worth it but i would be basing purchase more on reputation of heating better and durability.

It's pretty rare that Woodstock doesn't have a 'sale' going on. Just that sometimes it's better than others.

Don't forget about their money back guarantee. Not very common in the wood stove world.

It's pretty rare that Woodstock doesn't have a 'sale' going on. Just that sometimes it's better than others.

Don't forget about their money back guarantee. Not very common in the wood stove world.

6" flue PH vs. 8" flue on the equinox. I don't remember how you're dealing with that.

Equinox is 4655 plus sales tax for me. That's ridiculous.

https://chimneysweeponline.com/hsequinox.htm

Looks like the PH with an ash pan is only 3065 plus tax and some amount of delivery charge. The IS model is only 1750$. Are you saying delivery costs almost 800$!

http://www.woodstove.com/sale

Last edited:
Confused.

Good point on the pipe, though. There is a considerable cost difference.

Not sure why you're confused. The PH only needs a 6" flue and the EQ needs an 8" flue. Not many folks have an 8" flue and buying one is expensive. A dying breed as not many stoves use that size.

Myself, I'm "over" the look of soapstone and certainly don't believe that it has more value as a stove material than looks. The Ideal Steel is the only stove in the Woodstock lineup that interests me for my applications. So that would be 1750$ and a pretty good deal. Looks are very important to some people though so I can't fault you for that decision.

Sounds like a Woodstock is right up your alley. PH model seems perfect. Woodstocks are much cheaper with much higher performance and satisfaction ratings than a hearthstone.

My first and only 60 second encounter with a Hearthstone was while visiting a showroom when first trying to decide which stove to buy, and the floor model air control lever was binding and broken. That immediately soured me on Hearthstone. I suppose you could say it was abused by some lunk head, but it just had a cheesy design even if it worked properly.

I agree everyone has their own priorities. I've never owned a soapstone stove and think it would look great in our room. Hopefully it heats and is as efficient too. Lol

One downside of the Progress is there's no fan option. Convection will need to be achieved by other means. Take a look at the Blaze King Ashford 30.1 for an attractive alternative that has a blower option in a cat stove. In non-cats there are several options too.

+1 for Woodstock, and a number of stoves (stone, steel, or iron) from other manufacturers before I would get a Hearthstone. Read too many bad things about them, from disappointing performance of some of the stoves to disappointing performance from the company/dealers in providing parts in a timely manner. Too bad because they do have some nice lookers, as does VC, but I wouldn't buy from them either.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...arthstone-manchester-wood-stove.115118/page-3

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...r-8360-dead-after-1-year.153213/#post-2147204

Last edited:
Not sure why you're confused. The PH only needs a 6" flue and the EQ needs an 8" flue. Not many folks have an 8" flue and buying one is expensive. A dying breed as not many stoves use that size.

I understand that.

Your statement was confusing to me because I'm not dealing with any of it. I merely stated the fact that Woodstock almost never sells their stoves for list price. And they have a six month satisfaction guarantee.

Reactions: Highbeam
One downside of the Progress is there's no fan option. Convection will need to be achieved by other means. Take a look at the Blaze King Ashford 30.1 for an attractive alternative that has a blower option in a cat stove. In non-cats there are several options too.
If there are any Progress Hybrid owners out there who think that not having a blower is a meaningful downside, then now is the time to speak up to help Joyboy with his decision. Honestly my experience with this stove is that a blower is totally unnecessary, but if other owners feel differently they should give us their insight.

I have a PH..and I don't ned a blower.. if anything it puts out too much heat. I heat two floors.. first is about76 second about66f. But.. the house is much smaler, roughly 750 ft^2per floor

To give you an idea of wood use...my pre epa used 4 chords a year, the Woodstock uses 2 chords

As to soapstone.. yes it's pretty , but it is also a large thermal mass. Many is the morning I wake up late to a few coals and a 250 f 700 pound stove that keeps everything near nice and toasty. I suppose you could do similar with steel,but I'd have to look up the specific heat coefficient

Many is the morning I wake up late to a few coals and a 250 f 700 pound stove that keeps everything near nice and toasty. I suppose you could do similar with steel,but I'd have to look up the specific heat coefficient

Once you have a stove with a long burn time you don't need to depend on thermal mass to keep your stove warm, you just depend on a fire. That was a big ta-da- moment for me. If your fire actually burns for 24-30 hours then that is your heat source. I would rather not have excess thermal mass because it takes so long to warm up and start making heat!