Woodstocks New Blog And New Stove Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
If you go to Woodstocks site www.woodstove.com click on the blog link. New stove is 50% larger than the Fireview and is a cat/noncat hybrid. Pretty cool info but no pictures yet.

I like that they said it will be of a more contemporary design. It'll be interesting to see what this hybrid design looks like. I just hope they don't make it too complicated.

The secondary-burn design sounds pretty neat. Do you suppose there will be a little show-and-tell at the open house in two weeks?

I heard they were giving tours and showing off the proto type.

More complicated? Dennis will love that.

Can't wait to see it. Hope that the non-cat additions don't make the thing a wood eater. Why would they do that? Are the emissions too high with only a cat? Trying to get a better fireshow?

If the emissions are low across a broad spectrum of burning I would expect wood consumption to be reasonable. Well, as reasonable as it can be with that big a mouth to feed. I'm wondering if they did the combo for the same reason that PE puts the EBT on the Summit and T6. That is, for EPA compliance, to burn off the huge amount of gas that can come from a large charge of wood.

Really disappointed to hear that it is going to have "decidedly contemporary" castings. Woodstock has done such a good job at designing vintage looking stoves, they've done it well. After waiting all this time, won't be buying that!

My guess is the cat + tubes gives you a clean hot burn via the secondaries and when you turn the stove down, a clean burn via the cat.

Just a guess.

Bill

This is just one more reason why I am excited to be going to Woodstock in a couple of weeks. I've made contact with them so they know we are headed east very soon. Really looking forward to the visit to meet the Woodstock people, see the factory, see the new stove, see some of the manufacturing processes and also to meet some of the good folks that are here on hearth.com. Hopefully I'll be able to report about the trip and visit at Woodstock but it will probably be almost a week after the visit before I get back online so please be patient.

Oh, and I hope to satisfy Highbeam with reports on the new stove. Overall, what they have printed on the blog sounds pretty good but we still have to wait and see what comes out on the market after everything has been worked out. Then there is that thing about giving away a new stove....

Info on dimensions of new stove relative to FV: 4" wider, 2" deeper, 4" taller.

I am designing my hearth to accomodate this new stove "down the road", even though I plan on buying a FV this week.

No hints on when the new stove might be commercially available.

Does anyone know if the new model is a soapstone type stove or is it welded steel treadplate with cast andirons, baked orange finish with no window........

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Hmmm . . . I feel like a kid on Christmas . . . just all giggly with excitement, not knowing what this stove will look like or how it will be . . . but in my mind's eye expecting very great things . . . I am very much intrigued . . . I could see how the fusion of the new technologies might allow a person to get the fire cranking and then when the house is at a comfortable temp engage the cat -- kind of like putting the stove on a low and slow cruise control . . . I also like the idea that it is larger than the Fireview (something many folks have mentioned in the past) and while I know some folks love the very ornate cast iron looks of the Fireview that has always been a little off-putting for me -- I prefer the cleaner lines of the Keystone . . . yes . . . I am very intrigued.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I will be able to escape to NH that weekend . . . this is the weekend my wife has off and we usually spend it together puttering on the house . . . I may be pushing things if I try to convince her to go on a trip to NH to look at stoves and visit with my stove buddies . . . but who knows. . . .

Jake, you'd better convince her. Tell her about the stove that will be given away and that might sway her. Or tell her I will be there. Maybe she'd like to meet my wife and I too. lol

Wonder what she'll weigh? Sounds like it will be somewhere between the Mansfield and Equinox, probably much more efficient. It will be too big for my house, guess I need to sell this one and build a new house around the new Woodstock. %-P

I'm excited to see something official and public about the new stove. I'll be looking forward to seeing whatever they will show at the open house as well.

I sure hope the new hearth requirements aren't too much greater than current if I'm going to get one down the road.. My hearth pad is oversized for the FV but... Oh well, will cross that road if/when it ever happens. Larger firebox doesn't necessarily mean greater heat ouput and clearly doesn't mean I will be able to justify a change/upgrade anytime soon after it comes out. Although it sure would be nice if they offered a way for some of their loyal folks to test the new stove and write up reviews for them in real homes for a really significant discount on the stove :) heh, back to reality.

Hey Slow, maybe I'll run that idea by them at the bbq.

leeave96 said:
My guess is the cat + tubes gives you a clean hot burn via the secondaries and when you turn the stove down, a clean burn via the cat.

Just a guess.

Bill
well said!

HollowHill said:
Really disappointed to hear that it is going to have "decidedly contemporary" castings. Woodstock has done such a good job at designing vintage looking stoves, they've done it well. After waiting all this time, won't be buying that!

It could be that contemporary means looking a bit more like the Keystone or Palladian. If so, that's a good thing I think. These are very attractive stoves.

You're right. Those stoves are very attractive as well and look good in older homes. Maybe I'll keep holding my breath ;)

I have complete faith that this is going to be an attractive and distinctive stove. I'm guessing "contemporary" means simpler lines that will give more versatility in matching the stove to a variety of home interiors.

It will be interesting to see what happens. After I win the Fireview, I think I will trade it in on one of the new stoves. Hopefully, they will be able to cut down their rear clearance requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.