Woodstock's new stove; some updates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping this thread could get back to the original intention. I'm surprised the mods haven't close the thread and if the bickering about different type stoves doesn't stop, I hope they do close it. If you want to debate about different stoves and their outputs, please feel free to start your own thread.

Thank You.
Traffic is still way down, and we're not burning yet. If we don't highjack threads and run amok, what are we supposed to be doing? Oh, yeah, we could be getting more wood.... :cool:
Besides, if not for that, this latest drum-beater would be on page 4 by now. ;lol

Hey, there's a new entry in the blog! Dennis, can you keep us updated when there are developments like this? ;);lol
Can't smoke-bomb the living room; Door won't open much unless the bypass is open. :cool:

Me thinks they should focus on controlled burn times (I.e. I decide how long the burn goes by adjusting the stove, not the stove and wood!), efficiency (making sure we get all the heat from the wood, not my neighborhood), and keeping the glass clean / having a "cool" view of a "fire".

Reactions: HollowHill
I'd sent Lorin @ Woodstock an email last Thurs. and heard back within a few hours, I've not been chosen, but am on a list for consideration. Hopefully I'll be burning one of those this winter, I'd love to see what it can do against my 300i

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Very cool:

That's really nice. I wish the PH andirons were removable for cleaning the glass. That is the one thing I hate on the PH, wiping the glass down is a pita since the andirons are so close to the glass and not removable. It's hard to clean in front of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: teutonicking
Same with Fireview. Good thing the glass stays clean for a while.

That's really nice. I wish the andirons were removable for cleaning the glass. That is the one thing I hate on the PH, wiping the glass down is a pita since the andirons are so close to the glass and not removable. It's hard to clean in front of them.

According to the blog entry andirons stay put and can fold forward when the door is opened so they are not in the way of cleaning the glass. They can also be removed and replaced.
The andirons are easily removable and/or replaceable. Just lift the andiron/plate assembly, push it into the 30 degree removal slot, and take it out.
Maybe Woodstock will offer extra themed or seasonal replacement andirons? I just put in a request for a fleur de lis andirons rendering (my daughter's favorite design.)
moose+andirons+diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It's getting good now! My only concern with the andirons is that no doubt folks will end up setting wood on it while stocking up the stove. So they will have to be strong! Love the designs though and probably will be sending them some more examples.

Reactions: BrianK
Lorin at Woodstock just said the firebox on this stove is actually larger than the one on the Progress (and they are considering a cook top for this stove too, similar to the Progress). And apparently they have a new water jet cutter (?) for manufacturing the new stove, according to Penny, who gave us the tour when we visited August 8th. So they do seem to be gearing up to ramp up in house production capacity.

Here is a picture of the waterjet cutter so they can manufacture many of the metal parts in house. (my friend Mark in pic)

151602476.jpg

It's getting good now! My only concern with the andirons is that no doubt folks will end up setting wood on it while stocking up the stove. So they will have to be strong! Love the designs though and probably will be sending them some more examples.

The blog post says
Our andirons are custom cut from 1/2” plate steel

That sounds fairly strong. I'd be more concerned with burning myself on them while lowering them to load the stove and then putting them back in position to close the door. It doesn't look like it would be easy to load the stove without lowering the andirons and moving them every time the stove needs loaded could be ... Interesting.

Steel firebox, steel andirons, they are getting close to a steel stove. What God intended all of those trees to be burned in. ;lol

Reactions: Huntindog1
According to the blog entry andirons stay put and can fold forward when the door is opened so they are not in the way of cleaning the glass. They can also be removed and replaced.

Yes. I was referring to the Progress andirons. Wish they were removable/foldable to clean in front of them. ;)

Steel firebox, steel andirons, they are getting close to a steel stove. What God intended all of those trees to be burned in. ;lol

NO! Wood is meant to be burned in a steel firebox, surrounded inside and out by Soapstone! Preferable with a secondary burn plate and a CAT in the exhaust path. God was very specific about this. :)

NO! Wood is meant to be burned in a steel firebox, surrounded inside and out by Soapstone! Preferable with a secondary burn plate and a CAT in the exhaust path. God was very specific about this. :)

I just talked to him. He said he made those rocks for counter tops. And he is perplexed that people burn trees in it. And isn't surprised that they need a cat to burn clean in the stuff. ;)

That's really nice. I wish the PH andirons were removable for cleaning the glass. That is the one thing I hate on the PH, wiping the glass down is a pita since the andirons are so close to the glass and not removable. It's hard to clean in front of them.

+1

I believe God skipped the stove and went straight to the burning bush.

Lol!

I just put in a request for a fleur de lis andirons rendering (my daughter's favorite design.)

The folks at Woodstock are amazing in their eager response to customer suggestions:

Have a good idea for andirons? Send us your idea (in drawing or image form) and we’ll convert it into a rendering and/or sample cut and post it here!

We'll start adding the suggestions below:

Fleur de lis • Submitted via email by Brian

Woodstock Soapstone Co. Fleur de lis Andiron

Posted by Woodstock Soapstone Co. at 9/04/2013 11:51:00 AM
1 comment:
anon36.png

Woodstock Soapstone Co.September 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Below is the first andiron suggestion we received via email.

Dear Woodstock,
I'm following the developments on the new stove closely on the blog. My wife and daughter love the looks of our Fireview, so if I hope to convince them we need to upgrade to your new stove it needs to impress the women in the family.

My 19yo daughter's favorite design since childhood has been the fleur de lis.

I asked her which one she liked and she forwarded the ones attached. Could you possibly do a rendering of andirons with a fleur de lis?

Thanks!

God bless,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.