Woodstove in basement, fireplace first floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katka1

Mar 22, 2016
Idaho
We are building a new house and haven't started framing yet. Home design shows a wood stove in the basement and fireplace with insert on the first floor on the same wall. From my reading we will need two flues. I'd like to find out if it is possible to run them parallel and enclose both with framing to look as if it is a single chimney. If so is there any recommended spacing requirement?

Yes, you'll need two separate flues and it's ok for them to be within the same chimney. Are we talking metal chimneys in a chase or a full masonry chimney with tile flues?

Yes, you'll need two separate flues and it's ok for them to be within the same chimney. Are we talking metal chimneys in a chase or a full masonry chimney with tile flues?

That hasn't been determined yet. We are still in the planning stages so I have some flexibility. Within the next month I am trying to finalize the framing plan and this is the last item on my checklist. Cost is always a consideration, but trying to understand the best method for doing this.

For clean burning efficiency I think metal would be what I would choose together with an EPA ZC fireplace. You'll get much better fuel economy and heating. Try to design the stove and fireplace in the middle of the house if possible with interior flues. They will stay warmer and perform better.

If you have a fossil fuel burner in the basement, you might need another flue in the chase for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.