Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We're about to start finding out in an hour or so soon as day light comes. We received about an inch or two of snow last night so it will be even more enjoyable outside this morning. Getting the coffee in me now to stay warm today.

I love cutting in the cold.. Last year one weekend we started in 10 degrees never got above 20.. north wind 15 to 20mph.. I prefer frozen ground as apposed to mush.. Ill start the scrounge at my buddies house the first weekend in February.. looks like its going to get a little colder here..

Are you keeping the limb wood.. Let us know where the rot stopped..

Had fun with this beautiful mess of widowmakers today!

3E9E1509-BF7D-4373-BFB8-277478EC38B0.jpeg F6A4AED5-3922-4246-8957-B93B5009074C.png

I love cutting in the cold.. Last year one weekend we started in 10 degrees never got above 20.. north wind 15 to 20mph.. I prefer frozen ground as apposed to mush.. Ill start the scrounge at my buddies house the first weekend in February.. looks like its going to get a little colder here..

Are you keeping the limb wood.. Let us know where the rot stopped..
Well, started in about 8:00 this morning after a few cups of coffee to warm me up. What began as a nice snowy morning quickly turned in to a muddy mess, which definitely made cutting much less desirable. Rot turned out a lot worse / sooner than I anticipated, but I am still able to get a lot of good wood out of this tree. While I do understand lots of people would cut more on this, I have to weigh my time / effort spent versus all of the other wood that is much more accessible. Most of the trunk is rotten and I don't think it is worth the effort even though I am sure many would love to have it. Definitely using the limb wood and even broke out the Fiskars on some of the dryer rounds.

On a different note, I have one picture that has one more large oak circled in red. There is a grape vine on the left and the crack is on the right. It was going to be the next one until I noticed a large spiral crack in the trunk. No way am I attempting that one, but it needs to come down for the new pasture. Not sure how I am going to achieve that one yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

20230122_084704.jpg20230122_094446.jpg20230122_132313.jpg

20230122_133404.jpg20230122_135953.jpg

Another long day clearing the woods for a new pasture. The 36" bar was just big enough to cut down another white oak. I really don't like cutting trees like this when the inside is rotten because you never know when it may split and twist on you. Was able to get to get it dropped and limbed out most of the way with a little help. Tomorrow will bring another long day of splitting and using the big saws which wear me out a heck of a lot faster, but always grateful to be able to spend another day in the woods. I have high hopes of being able to get a lot of wood from the trunk, but we will see tomorrow. The dog was even tired from watching todays activities!

View attachment 308191 View attachment 308192 View attachment 308198View attachment 308193View attachment 308194 View attachment 308196
how big is the bar on that saw

Finally finished processing the Slabwood. Under the Blue Tarp is the stuff that is over 20% MC and under the clear Tarp (dollar Store shower curtain). is the stuff below 20%. As a note: I've been burning a lot of the below 20% as it got processed. Hoping to get through the burning season with what I have left.

IMG_0425[1].JPG IMG_0426[1].JPG

We put in another two loads of beech this morning, by the end of the day on Thursday we might get another 6 - 10 inches of snow from the forecast I saw today on Accu.

We had some smaller maples that were damaged from ice and snow so I took care of them today. I left the tops for the deer, they should find them pretty quick.

Picture 3461 is the second load of beech we put in this morning, 3462 is the first damaged maple just inside what we call the sandpit, 3463 are two more damaged maple just before you enter the sandpit, the damaged maple on top (horizontal) stop the more vertical damaged maple from falling but I had a cable on it so a good pull brought it down, 3465 & 66 are the two maples after pulling the notched one down, 3467 is all the maple rounds from today and the last picture are some of the tops I left for the deer, the tops from the first maple are back in the sandpit area.

104_3461.JPG 104_3462.JPG 104_3463.JPG 104_3465.JPG 104_3466.JPG 104_3467.JPG 104_3468.JPG

So.. on this weeks episode of " how the pile grows" Model year 67 and 08 finish splitting all the rounds previously cut last weekend.. we took Saturday and split everything up.. the piles now a little over 7ft high.. lots of rain coming so we tarped it up Sunday.. were taking a couple week break and going on the scrounge starting February

20230121_085114.jpg

NOAA is calling for 6 to 9 inches of snow with possible sleet and rain so I decided we would put in another two loads of beech before the storm hits...done.

If we get what they're calling for, I can get a nice fire going and then get out plowing and not have to woory about our firewood situation .

NOAA is calling for 6 to 9 inches of snow with possible sleet and rain so I decided we would put in another two loads of beech before the storm hits...done.

If we get what they're calling for, I can get a nice fire going and then get out plowing and not have to woory about our firewood situation .

which beech variety

The one leaning upright against the tree is a 660 w/ 36" bar. The one on the ground is a 441 w/ 28" bar. I have owned both for probably 10 years, but used very little.
Got a MS211 with 18" bar... A little bit of Bar Envy going on.

Reactions: Creekside Farms
I didn't find out about the cold snap next week until my bro in WI alerted me, and I didn't know about the "snush" (snowy slush) coming last night, but as luck would have it I decided to load up the on-deck circle yesterday aft. White Oak and Cheery wood under the window, players using hard-Maple bats on the porch. 👌 The Keystone will have a well-balanced diet from its three main food groups..medium-, medium high-, and high-output chow. 😏
PXL_20230124_230633175.jpgPXL_20230124_213334809.jpgPXL_20230125_191214714.jpg

Last edited:
I burn copper beech.. it has alot of btus.. does yours make alot of ash..
I don't think it does, we're burning the last rack inside that has ash and some yellow birch in it, once that is done we'll be burning beech until two face cord is gone so I'll post after a few fires with beech.