Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, we're getting off easy this winter, other than that one cold snap. Good work on the fuel! 👍
The 'shrooms and greens look delish, but these days if ate that "meat cleaver," I would double over. Since I cut back to salmon, and an occasional bit of deep-fried turkey or grilled chicken at the in-laws' place, my beef tolerance has gone way down. I can eat a piece about the size of my thumb; Much more than that, and I pay the price. 😖
But you musta got hungry and tired slaying all that woot! Almost as tired as my finger got, scrolling through the giant pics. 😜
Yep, our big old boy likes the fire, too. 🤗
View attachment 307843

We are getting off pretty easy this year. Id like to see a couple of cold snaps here and there. Im looking to burn the least amount of wood ever. I may burn just about 3 cords the way its going. That 1 cold snap was nice as there was just keeping the air at half and reload every 6 hours.. I could have went longer if I loaded it up.. but being home gave me something to do

I must have an oddball dog. She prefers to be as far from the fire as possible, or to lay out in the snow...
She will lay by the stove, but only when there is no fire, and the tiles are cool.
Gordon does that in the summer. He'll lay on the steel hearth for the coolness. I actually keep a towel on the stove all summer so he doesn't drool on it. Has to repaint it last year from droop damage!

We are getting off pretty easy this year. Id like to see a couple of cold snaps here and there. Im looking to burn the least amount of wood ever. I may burn just about 3 cords the way its going. That 1 cold snap was nice as there was just keeping the air at half and reload every 6 hours.. I could have went longer if I loaded it up.. but being home gave me something to do
Yeah it's been strange. I'm only about 1.33 cords in or so this year. I tend to burn 4 +/- 0.5 cords a year so we are also looking at the least amount burned ever unless something changes in February. Looking ahead I see a lot more 40 degree days still.

I have no idea what's going to happen for Maple Syrup season. Might be as early as mid February at this rate which is insane.

Yeah it's been strange. I'm only about 1.33 cords in or so this year. I tend to burn 4 +/- 0.5 cords a year so we are also looking at the least amount burned ever unless something changes in February. Looking ahead I see a lot more 40 degree days still.

I have no idea what's going to happen for Maple Syrup season. Might be as early as mid February at this rate which is insane.

I think I already have split more then what we will burn.. So were going to split the rounds we already have cut up and stip for now.. were going on the scrounge starting February.. I have a bunch of cords to sell so the over splitting isn't much of a concern..

More progress today. It was wet and cold so we only did a few hours of work before it started snowing and our backs started barking. Overall we have about a cord split and another to go. That's a 4 x 6' pallet x 5' tall. Have another big pallet ready to use. It's been so warm out we don't have enough room in the yard yet so just temp storing it in the driveway for now.

Probably get to it next week. Going to take tomorrow off from physical work to rest and then back to work Wed-Sat.

PXL_20230116_190133596.jpg
PXL_20230116_190151362.jpg

More progress today. It was wet and cold so we only did a few hours of work before it started snowing and our backs started barking. Overall we have about a cord split and another to go. That's a 4 x 6' pallet x 5' tall. Have another big pallet ready to use. It's been so warm out we don't have enough room in the yard yet so just temp storing it in the driveway for now.

Probably get to it next week. Going to take tomorrow off from physical work to rest and then back to work Wed-Sat.

View attachment 307876View attachment 307877
Nice work @Caw , take a break and enjoy the heat from a fire or two.

I must have an oddball dog. She prefers to be as far from the fire as possible, or to lay out in the snow...
She will lay by the stove, but only when there is no fire, and the tiles are cool.
Not a Husky, is she? 😏 My dog's hard to figure out. He seems to love soaking up the heat near the stove...sometimes. Other times he'll go out in the bedroom where it's cooler. Or he'll stay outside for quite a while, in some pretty cold weather. 🤔
More progress today.
pxl_20230116_190133596-jpg.307876
Looks like some good ol' Cheery wood, sitting on that chopping block. Man, I love that stuff. Coals great, not much ash, and smells great both splitting and burning.
Cut and split 2 big loads in the forest ready for stacking. This will be ready to burn in April 2024.

View attachment 307881
Looks like everybody is getting White Oak right now, except me! Don't count me out yet, though.. 😏

Not a Husky, is she? 😏 My dog's hard to figure out. He seems to love soaking up the heat near the stove...sometimes. Other times he'll go out in the bedroom where it's cooler. Or he'll stay outside for quite a while, in some pretty cold weather.
She is a St Bernard...

DOH! I saw before that you are Aussie, but I spaced out. ;em
I do actually have some English oak buried in there somewhere on the right side. I had a huge stump in the yard from an oak that was planted in 1979 and cut down in around 2018. Looking forward to seeing how it burns.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Not a Husky, is she? 😏 My dog's hard to figure out. He seems to love soaking up the heat near the stove...sometimes. Other times he'll go out in the bedroom where it's cooler. Or he'll stay outside for quite a while, in some pretty cold weather. 🤔

Looks like some good ol' Cheery wood, sitting on that chopping block. Man, I love that stuff. Coals great, not much ash, and smells great both splitting and burning.

Looks like everybody is getting White Oak right now, except me! Don't count me out yet, though.. 😏
It looks a lot like cherry at first glance but it's actually just a very wet piece of red oak. It was raining a bit when I took the picture. When red oak is green it is very vibrant...and incredibly heavy.

We'll continue burning ash this week and some of next week but either tomorrow or Friday we'll start putting in some higher btu wood, beech.

$870 later and all the new hoses and modified tubes are installed on the backhoe attachment. My tagging system worked well. The biggest miracle of all, it actually works as it should!

IMG-9fa9d8fed1ae9fc65886999a7b9f5aac-V.jpg 20230121_131534.jpg

We started to get ready for some colder temps that we usually get in February, we put in two loads of beech today.

We still have some ash, maple and pine that we've had inside for over a month so once another rack opens up inside, we'll get another two loads of beech in

Another long day clearing the woods for a new pasture. The 36" bar was just big enough to cut down another white oak. I really don't like cutting trees like this when the inside is rotten because you never know when it may split and twist on you. Was able to get to get it dropped and limbed out most of the way with a little help. Tomorrow will bring another long day of splitting and using the big saws which wear me out a heck of a lot faster, but always grateful to be able to spend another day in the woods. I have high hopes of being able to get a lot of wood from the trunk, but we will see tomorrow. The dog was even tired from watching todays activities!

Screenshot_20230121-192321_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230121-192432_Gallery.jpg 20230121_101848.jpg20230121_101909.jpg20230121_171549.jpg 20230121_193653.jpg

Another long day clearing the woods for a new pasture. The 36" bar was just big enough to cut down another white oak. I really don't like cutting trees like this when the inside is rotten because you never know when it may split and twist on you.
Yeah, when you don't have a full-width hinge, it gets a bit dicey. Glad you "Got 'er down!" 😏

Reactions: thewoodlands
Another long day clearing the woods for a new pasture. The 36" bar was just big enough to cut down another white oak. I really don't like cutting trees like this when the inside is rotten because you never know when it may split and twist on you. Was able to get to get it dropped and limbed out most of the way with a little help. Tomorrow will bring another long day of splitting and using the big saws which wear me out a heck of a lot faster, but always grateful to be able to spend another day in the woods. I have high hopes of being able to get a lot of wood from the trunk, but we will see tomorrow. The dog was even tired from watching todays activities!

View attachment 308191 View attachment 308192 View attachment 308198View attachment 308193View attachment 308194 View attachment 308196

I bet if you go 5..6ft up.. your in good wood and probably no rot.. thats high quality wood and the limb wood is really premium.. 5 to 3 inch range is a dense wood that burns long

I bet if you go 5..6ft up.. your in good wood and probably no rot.. thats high quality wood and the limb wood is really premium.. 5 to 3 inch range is a dense wood that burns long
We're about to start finding out in an hour or so soon as day light comes. We received about an inch or two of snow last night so it will be even more enjoyable outside this morning. Getting the coffee in me now to stay warm today.