Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you use it for heat, smoking or both? Nice get.
I'll be heating with it. I haven't burned it before but I'd guess it's about the same as Hickory, since they are closely related..?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Want some pine? ::-)
I'll pass on the 🌲 but thanks for thinking of me. 😏 My main shoulder wood is Red Maple, which is always available in these parts. But I do have some Pine on hand to bust into starter wood at some point.
Still burning little chill-busters here until the middle of next week, with low 40s overnight.

Last edited:
Just got this load of ash dropped off from my local tree service company. We’ll see if the weather cooperates enough this weekend for me to get it cut split and stacked. It doesn’t look promising so it may have to wait until next weekend.

IMG_6342.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll pass on the 🌲 but thanks for thinking of me. 😏 My main shoulder wood is Red Maple, which is always available in these parts. But I do have some Pine on hand to bust into starter wood at some point.
Still burning little chill-busters here until the middle of next week, with low 40s overnight.
👍 We have a stretch we'll be getting rain everyday so we actually put in some ash today, we still have pine in the racks but since we still have four face cord of ash left from two years ago ( I was holding five face back for a neighbor who was never delivered his firewood but made it through the winter with what he had left) we put some in today.

My arse was up on a ladder today cleaning out the gutters, not bad at all with all the big pines we have around the house.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just got this load of ash dropped off from my local tree service company. We’ll see if the weather cooperates enough this weekend for me to get it cut split and stacked. It doesn’t look promising so it may have to wait until next weekend.

View attachment 312320
Nice load of future btu's, some areas in NYS might get two inches of rain.

I finally split what pine we had in rounds from when we felled the dead pine on 4/26.

Picture 3660 is what I started with, 3661 is what's left, 3662 & 3664 is the pine that will get stacked and 3665 is the junk I split off from the edge of the rounds, outside fireplace material.

104_3660.JPG 104_3661.JPG 104_3662.JPG 104_3664.JPG 104_3665.JPG

It wasn't raining out so I decided the wife's car would get washed, after washing it twice I dried it off and that's when the rains came. It stopped raining so I decided that I would dry it off again....it starting raining again so that job was done until we get some better weather.

• Haha
Reactions: mpaul
It wasn't raining out so I decided the wife's car would get washed, after washing it twice I dried it off and that's when the rains came. It stopped raining so I decided that I would dry it off again....it starting raining again so that job was done until we get some better weather.
You’re a good man. It was the intent that counts. Wife’s happy, life’s happy!

I added soil/compost to my wife’s raised beds in the rain today 😊

It's awesome that you can control the weather like that! ;)
Might come in handy this summer, if a drought sets in on your garden.. 😆

It's awesome that you can control the weather like that! ;)
Might come in handy this summer, if a drought sets in on your garden.. 😆
Tonight is pretty much the same, it wasn't raining so after supper I took the dog for her walk, 30 yards down the driveway it started raining again. Once I came in it stopped so I decided to check a few things on the trailer I use to haul wood with, you guessed it, it started raining again, just one of those days.

Nothing but rain here for the last 3-5 days. Cold with wet snow this morning, temps in the mid 30's. The mud has been horrible to work in lately tough to get anything done.

Nothing but rain here for the last 3-5 days. Cold with wet snow this morning, temps in the mid 30's. The mud has been horrible to work in lately tough to get anything done.
We've had plenty of rain, maybe some snow in the morning. It looks like our warmer dry weather starts on Saturday.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We took down two more dead pine today, the tops were iffy but we did get some good firewood out of them.

Picture 3672 is the first pine, 3675, 3676,3677 & 3679 is the second pine, 3681 & 3683 is back to the first pine and the last two pictures are of a pine we felled last week, I c & s some more rounds from near the top.

104_3672.JPG 104_3675.JPG 104_3676.JPG 104_3677.JPG 104_3679.JPG 104_3681.JPG 104_3683.JPG 104_3684.JPG 104_3688.JPG

I had a score on the line for over a year, then saw more storm damage there recently, and vowed to get back over there. I thought it was Red Maple, and would be good for my buddy, who I'm trying to get dry wood for until he can get ahead. It turned out to be Sugar, and it was wet, so it's two years away from burning. We grabbed it anyway--he's got room for it in his stack area. No pics of that, but we're going back today to work on the original score, a dead White Ash trunk and a dead Sugar trunk. I'm expecting this to usable this fall..we'll stick the meter to it and see. Pics later..
After I came home yesterday, I went and got some of the Big Red top-of-tree wood, which is about 20% now. Instead of keeping that for my SILs, I thought I'd give it to the guy who let me get the tree, a neighbor who's let me scrounge his woods from time to time. He needs some dry wood for his SIL. Pic is two quad trailer loads I've gotten in the past two days.
PXL_20230505_001946295.jpg

Two more dead standing pine are on the schedule, I'm hoping these will be my last two for a few months.

The first two pictures are of the same tree and the last two pictures are of the second tree.

IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0638.JPG

Reactions: heavy hammer
Two more dead standing pine are on the schedule, I'm hoping these will be my last two for a few months.
The first two pictures are of the same tree and the last two pictures are of the second tree.
So when the Pines are competing for light, they sometimes split into multiple stems like that? Seems like they would be more vulnerable to wind damage etc, when they do that..

So when the Pines are competing for light, they sometimes split into multiple stems like that? Seems like they would be more vulnerable to wind damage etc, when they do that..
Way before we bought the lot (nothing but trees) it should've been thinned out but maybe by not doing it, the lot was still up for sale.

Thanks for the info.

I've seen this happen with injuries; if a big branch of another tree falls on a growin pine, the top can break off. The result can (but does not necessarily need to) be a "trident" as you see in those first pics.
You can see there that the main trunk stops, and it went further using new shoots from the sides.

I went back to the scrounge job today. My buddy was gonna come but they called him in to work at the last minute.
So I started working up the original scrounge, a White Ash and a big Maple I didn't really want to deal with, but said I would since the woman knows SIL1. Some of the Ash was gone--That's what I get for blowing off the scrounge for months. :rolleyes:
I busted down some rounds where my buddy will be able to pick them up and put in his van tomorrow. Got the White Ash, and worked the big Maple a bit. I'll need the big saw next time I go..
PXL_20230505_212304118.jpgPXL_20230505_211939119.jpgPXL_20230505_212107876.jpg

We had planned on felling two dead pine but after the first one was down, I decided it would get cut and split.

We used a tree saver with a d shackle along with a cable, just wanted to make sure it came through the other pines.

I will fell one more dead pine for a total of 14 this spring. The first three were small and not that good so once the burn ban is off and it gets wet again, we'll get rid of the rounds in the outside fireplace.

104_3690.JPG 104_3691.JPG 104_3692.JPG 104_3694.JPG 104_3696.JPG 104_3697.JPG

View attachment 312320
Finally no rain and I was able to get this load of logs bucked. Have to stain the boat dock tomorrow so splitting will have to wait a week. IMG_6346.jpeg

I stacked just under two face cord of pine today ( I shortened the stack because of the pine tree) I'm estimating but I think we still have over a face cord left from the four or five piles we have in the woods.

Four more face cord of pine will get stacked after some cutting and splitting is done.

The pile of pine (on the ground to the right) I used for holding down the covers will be moved, some will be used for tops again and some will be used in the outdoor fireplace.

104_3698.JPG 104_3699.JPG