Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Went out looking for morels this morning. Came home with a bag of ramp leaves. The wife and I love to fry them up with some garlic and onion. Makes for a nice treat, but no morels yet. I did find a few more cherry trees damaged in the wind storms we got. I think I'm gonna need to start a thread named "Work not done in 2023"

20230422_074138.jpg 20230422_073721.jpg 20230418_100837.jpg

He wants to go to the woods everyday. Isn't much help though! Pile is a combination of cherry, ash, maple, few small oak and beech. Left all the poplar lay first now
Nice mix of btu's. If your dog is like ours, they love the heat from the firewood.

I split & stacked one of the dead pines we took down the other day, in picture 3623 you can see a tall dead pine that will be felled after I split & stacked the second pine we felled the other day.

In picture 3626 is another dead pine that will be felled this summer, we still have more dead pine in that area but it's getting safer with every dead pine that's felled.

I'm hoping that after the next pine gets stacked and I add some bigtooth quaking aspen that has been stack on a pallet in the woods since last fall, that two face cord stack will be full.

104_3621.JPG 104_3622.JPG 104_3623.JPG 104_3624.JPG 104_3626.JPG 104_3628.JPG 104_3629.JPG

Reactions: Bobbob
Went out looking for morels this morning. Came home with a bag of ramp leaves. The wife and I love to fry them up with some garlic and onion. Makes for a nice treat, but no morels yet. I did find a few more cherry trees damaged in the wind storms we got. I think I'm gonna need to start a thread named "Work not done in 2023"

View attachment 312201 View attachment 312202 View attachment 312203
I remember when most of our firewood inventory was mostly cherry, we had just enough seasoned sugar maple that got us through the coldest months.

We had a windstorm that did a chit load of damage on our cherry trees, 14 were down on one hill.

I'm gonna try that ramp leaves with garlic and onions, sounds good.

I remember when most of our firewood inventory was mostly cherry, we had just enough seasoned sugar maple that got us through the coldest months.

We had a windstorm that did a chit load of damage on our cherry trees, 14 were down on one hill.

I'm gonna try that ramp leaves with garlic and onions, sounds good.
Here is the perfect springtime breakfast: fried ramps, breaded morels and a few scrambled eggs. Makes my mouth water

20210420_114725.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
No, but it sounds pretty good. I'm no picky eater. I'll give it a try
I'll get the recipe from the boss tomorrow and post it after I come in from splitting and stacking.

I finished splitting and stacking the two face cord of pine I've been working on, I did need half a trailer load of dead pine from a different tree felled earlier in picture 3636.

In pictures 3638 & 40 are nine ( ten planted ) of the Norway Spruce we planted a few weeks back, the rains are doing a good job so far on watering them. You can see the winds have really done a job on the trees in that area, hopefully by fall the majority of the downed trees are cleaned up.

104_3631.JPG 104_3632.JPG 104_3633.JPG 104_3634.JPG 104_3636.JPG 104_3637.JPG 104_3638.JPG 104_3640.JPG

Hey, wait a minute--You stacked stacked wood? That sounds like the kind of back-tracking maneuver I do on a regular basis. 😖 😆

Are you a woodworker, or what becomes of the lumber?

Impressive stacks! 👍
Thanks for the Black Ash pic. Appears that it's different than White Ash in a couple ways--has a more flaky bark than White, and an almost burnt-orange heartwood, with a contrasting light-colored sapwood ring..
Every time someone mentions "Ash," I look at their pics to see if it appears to be White. As far as I know, I've seen only White around here so far..

Now that looks like some good ol' White. 😏 Appears in about the same shape as the last one I got--slightly punky, but still solid enough that you feel like it's worth the effort. To me, anyway...
View attachment 312099

Man, 30 is a lotta trees!😖 Maple? That bottom one, behind the big boy, almost looks like Cheery bark, but what I can see of the end cut doesn't look right..
Woodworker and DIYer all at once. We're adding on to the old farmhouse. I also added on to the barn last summer, all roughsawn from those logs.

No, but it sounds pretty good. I'm no picky eater. I'll give it a try
This is the recipe she uses, we think it's excellent.

Reactions: thewoodlands
So yesterday I went with Vista guy to his boss's dad's. We got a little storm-damaged tree...not sure what it was, some kind of cultivar, I guess. Sadly, no pics for ID. Bad me! 😣 We also looked off into the woods and saw a dead, down Red Elm, and a Dogwood which we grabbed to fully load the van, both about 6".
The little Stihl top-handle worked great; I worked the branches to manageable length while he bucked the main trunk.
Then after he dropped me off, I busted on some of the Red Elm from behind SIL2's house. With the rest of what you see here (similar to post #389) this shed should be about full. I broke off before dark in order to get home and watch the Bucks game--shoulda kept bustin' woot instead. Sheesh. 🙄
Fiskars 6# and 8# have earned a place on the quad, by the way. Good addition to the other 6 and 8-pounders I already had, with their different wedge geometry..
Great drying weather here the last two weeks with breeze, and afternoon humidity down to 30%. 👍

PXL_20230422_233423201.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, this is turning into the "Work done in 2023 by the better half" thread! 😏
The wife made chicken piccata with capers, she puts it in with crush tomatoes on a bed of pasta, it's a different recipe then you'll see on the net ( from my searches) like my FIL would say after a really good meal, you got the right twist on that recipe.

I've always liked getting our firewood for the year from one area but since we started burning more pine along with warmer winters, we've had four face cord left one year and five left this year, all hardwood.

Today I moved around two face cord to the area we'll get our wood from this coming heating season.

Picture 3641 was the first firewood I moved to the area in picture 3642, yellow birch and ash, the maple in picture 3643 was moved to the area in picture 3646.

By moving the wood, I'll have plenty of room for the firewood I c/s/s this year in two different areas.

Attachments

• 104_3646.JPG
    104_3646.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 104_3645.JPG
    104_3645.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 104_3643.JPG
    104_3643.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 104_3642.JPG
    104_3642.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 104_3641.JPG
    104_3641.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 43
I've always liked getting our firewood for the year from one area but since we started burning more pine along with warmer winters, we've had four face cord left one year and five left this year, all hardwood.

Today I moved around two face cord to the area we'll get our wood from this coming heating season.

Picture 3641 was the first firewood I moved to the area in picture 3642, yellow birch and ash, the maple in picture 3643 was moved to the area in picture 3646.

By moving the wood, I'll have plenty of room for the firewood I c/s/s this year in two different areas.

I got the SIL2 shed stuffed now, so that's the second two-cord shed filled in the last couple weeks. For SIL2, that should be two years' worth.
PXL_20230424_190826259.jpg

After I get caught up on some other work at home, we'll start busting on this White Ash heap and stacking it along the drive for future years--measures to about 2.3 cords, near as I can figure..
PXL_20230424_213339614.jpg

Then this summer I'll work on the heaps across the street from our place, might be six cords or more, I dunno. Some will go to SILs, some to my stacks here.
PXL_20230413_224836870.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the shed filled back up, a couple totes at a time.
20230424_181248.jpg
Over half full. Will be done in no time.

Today I finished up the two face cord stack in picture 3646, I was getting the firewood from the area in picture 3648 and then stacked another face cord in the back, we still have room for two more face cord that I'll do later.

Once we have a dry stretch, I'll dry out the covers and get them back on the firewood for the coming heating season.

104_3646.JPG 104_3648.JPG 104_3649.JPG 104_3650.JPG 104_3651.JPG

Off-site score..Pecan! 🤗👍
He's keeping some of the wood, so all I could get for now is this load. He's got a couple other ones to take down later, so hopefully I get more of it at some point.. 🤞
PXL_20230426_194926707.jpg

The dead pine in picture 3623b came down today, not long after it hit the ground, the rain came down hard. We have another dead pine not far from the one felled today (picture 3659) but I'll check it out better before I decide on felling it.

104_3623b.JPG 104_3655.JPG 104_3656.JPG 104_3657.JPG 104_3658.JPG 104_3659.JPG

Off-site score..Pecan! 🤗👍
He's keeping some of the wood, so all I could get for now is this load. He's got a couple other ones to take down later, so hopefully I get more of it at some point.. 🤞
View attachment 312282
Do you use it for heat, smoking or both? Nice get.