Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'll get this up early.

So this work is planned for spring of 2024. Would welcome feedback on my plan.

Below pic is currently loaded with 5 cords of wood 3 of which will get burned this season. The remaining 2 will get relocated Then the work will begin. (Yes, If you look close enough you’ll see a giant rock that my house is built into the side of in the back).

IMG_4846.jpeg
My plan is to tear out the current racks, fix the ceiling coverage, and then lay one row of pallets front to back along the outside leftwall (the space is 23 feet x 10 feet). Should be able to get a total of 7 pallets in here. With height varying from 10 feet high down to just 6 feet I figure I can get close to five cords of storage back. Certainly won’t stack anything 10 feet high. Then the entire space on the right adjacent to the house will become my shed. Will store 52” tractor., trailer, snowblower, wheelbarrow, 27 ton splitter. Will put heavy duty metal shelves across back wall where I’ll store chainsaws and other accessories. Will probably drop a tarp down across the back wall to prevent any wind blown moisture.

Was planning on getting a shed this next summer to store a lot of this stuff in but with a lot of rocky terrain it is too prohibitive so hoping this idea works better. Right now all of the equipment is outside covered alongside my house somewhere which is a bit of an eyesore and not good for the equipment. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

He beat you to it Caw--lol.. By the way the pictures of your children "working" is just precious especially your son who looks like he would like to be doing something else at that moment. Happy Holidays..clancey

I'm not sure what I'll work on first in 2024, I would like some hardwood c/s/s but with the amount of pine we burn, I should fell some of the damaged pine or the dead stuff, we'll see.

Reactions: heavy hammer
This will be work for 2024, pictures 4323 & 25 are the same dead pine, 4327 is another dead pine and the last two are what I think is a yellow birch that mother nature felled, I'll get the yellow birch c/s/s first.

104_4323.JPG 104_4325.JPG 104_4327.JPG 104_4328.JPG 104_4329.JPG

So this is what me and little Woodsplitter08 started today.. Got some cut into rounds. Were going to need to quarter some of this up.. its pretty heavy. we will work on that tomorrow.. This is a mux of oak and copper Beach.. not bad for a couple hours work.. 08 go to use the 550xp today.. its alot of saw, but hes big enough now to run it here and there..

20240101_100148.jpg 20240101_102810.jpg 20240101_111507.jpg 20240101_111452.jpg 20240101_094304.jpg

How do you like the 550 xp? I currently use a 440 and I think that's my target upgrade. I'll keep my 440 for the smaller stuff and use the 550 xp on the big boys. Do you run 18 or 20" on it?

Other option is the Stihl 261 but I really enjoy Husqvarna products I have many of them. Also what's the 3 saws in the pic?

Pulled the rounds from the Dead Ash the fell out of the swamp. Bucked them up on 12/31 and moved them to Higher Ground in the swamp where they would not soak up water and where I could run a wheel barrow to/from. Need to figure out where this will be stacked before I fire up the new splitter. Wifey-pooh is on my case about moving wood multiple times. So she thinks I should split it right into the dump trailer and then move it to where it will be stacked and then stack it. So Start the splitter, split, stop the splitter, start the tractor move the splits, stop the tractor stack, start the tractor go back to the splitter, stop the tractor, start the splitter. Yeah that makes sense. Trying to figure out if I can build a bin right near the pile that is being split. It'll save me some trips.

I spent time at the outside fireplace today getting rid of some chitty pine from the trail clearing I did in the fall of 2023. I also burned four trailer loads of sticks, they all came from just off the trails.

It was around 28 so not that cold but the winds were between 10 to 20 miles per hour, nice for a fire but not for the old bones.

How do you like the 550 xp? I currently use a 440 and I think that's my target upgrade. I'll keep my 440 for the smaller stuff and use the 550 xp on the big boys. Do you run 18 or 20" on it?

Other option is the Stihl 261 but I really enjoy Husqvarna products I have many of them. Also what's the 3 saws in the pic?

I can say this.. the Husqvarnas really cut. the XPs are fast.. my 550xp has an 18 on it sometimes Ill put a 20 on it.. it will pull it no problem. My 550xp will out cut my brothers saw.. its a little larger in CCs of a different brand.. I don't want to mention the brand .. well .. because you know why.. I had other saws like echo.. got rid of all of them.. The 562xp is another sweeeeet saw.. pick one up... you'll definitely feel the difference.. if you lived closer.. I bring it buy and let you try it.. The 550 is my daily saw.. its light.. plenty of power and easy to move around with in the woods when Im on the scrounge..

I can say this.. the Husqvarnas really cut. the XPs are fast.. my 550xp has an 18 on it sometimes Ill put a 20 on it.. it will pull it no problem. My 550xp will out cut my brothers saw.. its a little larger in CCs of a different brand.. I don't want to mention the brand .. well .. because you know why.. I had other saws like echo.. got rid of all of them.. The 562xp is another sweeeeet saw.. pick one up... you'll definitely feel the difference.. if you lived closer.. I bring it buy and let you try it.. The 550 is my daily saw.. its light.. plenty of power and easy to move around with in the woods when Im on the scrounge..
I've held the 562 xp in the store and it's a monster. It would be a lot of fun to have for the occasional big boy log but not practical for regular use. Too heavy and unnecessarily big. I prefer to go lighter for my regular saw and I like how Husqvarna saws feel in my hands. I think the 550 xp is the perfect upgrade to my 440. I'm perfectly happy staying at 18" just getting a big power upgrade with not much more weight. I can run my 440 all day without getting tired. The option to go to 20" is nice but not really required for my purposes. I rarely get anything over 28" and I can just double cut a 22-28" log easily with an 18" bar.

The saw upgrade is on my wish list for sure but having just spent some good $ on the splitter last week I'll probably wait a while.

I had about 8 mixed hardwoods in 10’ log length. Got them cut up today. I was thinking I’d moving the splitter over to the piles location but will tomorrow am instead, when the ground is frozen again. I had on a brand new chain and it was cutting very nice right out of the box. My hand sharpened cut about the same so I guess I’m doing ok in that respect.

1704306678850.jpeg

Last fall I created a quick an dirty wood bin with some pallets. I have some shipping pallets that all 2 X 4s. Dis-assembled one for parts. Plus I have other parts of pallets and the shipping container my splitter came in. Going to see if I can add a roof to it. I don't have any roofing material, but I think I can create a wood roof and then cover it with Plastic. Good ol Dollar Store Shower curtains.

It looks like with all the systems forecast for the east coast, we'll get hit with a big dump of snow sooner or later. Today I moved a bunch of dead pine off some trails I made late summer or early fall, I also put 240 pounds of sand in the back of the RTV for plowing purposes if needed.

Picture 4335 is some rotten wood that I pushed back further, the trail in that area will be wider this winter, last winter I had an old plow for the rhino stuck in picture 4336 on 4 x 4's, once I take care of the smaller ironwood on the left, I can keep it plowed or just use it for snow storage, 4338 had a rotten top from a pine we took down in the spring, you can see it in picture 4340 and the last three are more of the same.

104_4335.JPG 104_4336.JPG 104_4338.JPG 104_4340.JPG 104_4343.JPG 104_4344.JPG 104_4345.JPG

Thewoodlands, how much snow you expecting? I think we may end up with some of that as well dependingon how it comes across. I have just been keeping the garage filled when not working. I have alot of wood to process but need somewhere to stack it I need to burn some to make room. Temps have been pretty mild so we have been just having fires here and there, but I figured that will change soon.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Thewoodlands, how much snow you expecting? I think we may end up with some of that as well dependingon how it comes across. I have just been keeping the garage filled when not working. I have alot of wood to process but need somewhere to stack it I need to burn some to make room. Temps have been pretty mild so we have been just having fires here and there, but I figured that will change soon.
The last I checked, Accu was saying 2 - 6 the next two days. It sounds like the system next Wednesday will give our area snow, rain and wind but we'll see how much the forecast changes by Monday.

Spent all day outside moving wood. I brought in a weeks worth of 3 year old oak then moved about half a cord of green oak to the back racks. Advil, wine, and rest tonight. Have about a cord and a half to move tomorrow!

Perfectly aged oak is a beautiful thing:

1000000992.jpg

Today we'll put in two good loads of beech and before the second system comes in at night on January 9, we'll put in more ash.