Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m thinking it’s pine, poplar and some sweet gum. There is a piece of cedar in the bottom. I don’t believe I’ve got any ash there.
I can grab some pics of the splits tomorrow.
I thought the bigger logs on the right in picture number two were ash.......but I'm not good at identifying trees by pictures.

2 rows done. 2 more to go. The rain in the northeast just won't stop. Hopefully get some more work done today and cut some long pieces I have laying around.
20240327_171737.jpg

I thought the bigger logs on the right in picture number two were ash.......but I'm not good at identifying trees by pictures.
Working on shrinking the pile.
The large ones we were talking about got rolled out with a peavy and split up. I’m still thinking poplar.

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3888.jpeg

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

I split & stacked most of the ash and the maple today, it's over a face cord but I'll need more if I want to finish this stack.

Picture 4598 are some ash rounds I split first, 4599 through 4601 are three of the four loads I hauled to the stacking area, 4602 is the ironwood and the maple rounds left, 4603 is the stacking I did today and the last picture are some good ash splits that were left from two years ago, I'll get those stacked in a different area so we can use them this fall.

104_4598.JPG

104_4599.JPG

104_4600.JPG

104_4601.JPG

104_4602.JPG

104_4603.JPG

104_4604.JPG

Spent the last two days changing the layout of my primary woodshed. This is located under a deck. The first picture is how originally had it laid out and the second picture is how I changed it which. Now with the whole area covered, I have space to store some of my equipment.

IMG_4846.jpeg

View attachment 326341IMG_6770.jpeg

Last edited:
20240329_174307.jpg20240329_122425.jpg20240329_122417.jpg20240329_161038.jpg
I finally was able to get some wood, 4 truck loads from the road dept down the road. They have been removing trees near me and they let you have access to their yard all you can take.

It was for Friday warm and sunny. We have had rain and 40's the last three days. Still burning here and there the warmer temps are not to far away.

With a possible snow dump coming in, I wanted the rounds at the splitting area split & stacked. I started with the maple and then the ironwood.

By my count, we have 55 to 56 face cord of hardwood stacked. It would be nice if by summer, we had 60 face cord up.

104_4629.JPG

104_4630.JPG

104_4631.JPG

104_4632.JPG

104_4633.JPG

104_4634.JPG

Today I bucked up what was left of the ash, took a topped off maple in picture 4577 in front of the big basswood, 4579 are the first two rounds of maple off the stump, 4582 was another ironwood I took that was in the middle of a main trail, 4586 & 87 are the ironwood & maple heading home and my last trip up I took a bad maple that was bent over, all that is home.

I'm hoping all the wood in picture 4597 two face cord, that would make four face cord this spring.

View attachment 326250

View attachment 326251

View attachment 326252

View attachment 326253

View attachment 326254

View attachment 326255

View attachment 326256

View attachment 326257

View attachment 326258

View attachment 326259

View attachment 326260

View attachment 326262
I always enjoy your posts and photos. You have done an admirable job managing your woods.

Reactions: thewoodlands
You’ll have more than that at the rate your going!
I hope so, my goal for the end of May is 60 f/c or more depending on what mother nature gives us. After that is done I'll have to work on more softwood, the 2024 & 25 heating season is taken care.

Hopefully it doesn't rain most of this summer and the wildfire smoke isn't that bad this year.

@thewoodlands do you really burn 20 cords of wood per season? Or just stocking up?
Face cords, not full cords... 60 face cord is 20 cord. He'd have to give his breakdown of what he burns, but if I recall correctly he typically burns about 12 face cord of pine per season (4 cord) and I don't recall how much hardwood...

@thewoodlands do you really burn 20 cords of wood per season? Or just stocking up?
When we started burning pine for shoulder season wood it was always 6 face cord a year but the last 3 (I think) we increased it to 12 per year so we could get rid of it.

Between the bugs killing the pine, the clearing for the garage I did in 2018 and the wind damage, we can't keep up. The older I get the tougher it is keeping up with everything, especially 12 face cord of pine per year.

Last year I didn't cut much hardwood, maybe 4 to 6 face cord so this is the year I'll get caught up on that, We also have the old pellet stove still helping out.

@NickW picked it up before I did, not cord but face cord.

Last edited:
A few logs at a time.
Might have a boat for sale so I can make room.
My wife was out there the other day while I was splitting and asked where I was going to put it all. I kinda pointed while twirling my finger around in that general direction.
View attachment 326442
Nice work @30WCF , you can never have enough firewood.

Reactions: 30WCF
I’m not behind and worried about next year, or the next.
I've got 4 year old wood in the bottoms of 3 of those rows in the shed. I really need to pull the older wood to the top or start pulling from the fence side first next year.

I’m not behind and worried about next year, or the next.
I've got 4 year old wood in the bottoms of 3 of those rows in the shed. I really need to pull the older wood to the top or start pulling from the fence side first next year.
I think you told me before but is most your firewood oak?

Reactions: 30WCF
Face cords, not full cords... 60 face cord is 20 cord. He'd have to give his breakdown of what he burns, but if I recall correctly he typically burns about 12 face cord of pine per season (4 cord) and I don't recall how much hardwood...
I'm not sure on the hardwood yet but because of the pine we burn less. This is just a guess on how much we burned but the hardwood area we burned from this year holds 12 face cord with 11 ready for burning, I think we have around 5 plus face cord left but I'll confirm that in the next couple of days.

I'm pretty sure last year we saved just under 5 or 6 face cord too.