Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had planned on bringing out more firewood but the winds seemed like they picked up my second time back in, I called it a day.

Picture 4733 is the maple branch the winds brought down earlier this spring, 4734 & 35 are the same load I brought back to the splitting area, 4736 is what was left that I bucked up in picture 4743, 4737 & 38 is the cherry a basswood took down, 4744 was the area the maple branch was near and the last picture is the rounds at the splitting area.

104_4733.JPG

104_4734.JPG

104_4735.JPG

104_4736.JPG

104_4737.JPG

104_4738.JPG

104_4739.JPG

104_4743.JPG

104_4744.JPG

104_4745.JPG

I took this maple because of the lean it had on it over the main trail, I used an open face notch with a plunge/bore cut, everything went the way I had hoped it would. I think that all the maple in the splitting area ( picture 4755 ) will be close to another face cord, # 60.

Picture 4749 is not the stump after the plunge/bore cut, I took a 15 inch round off of it, that's what your seeing.

104_4746.JPG

104_4749.JPG

104_4752.JPG

104_4753.JPG

104_4754.JPG

104_4755.JPG

I felled this damaged banana shaped maple today. Before starting it I checked the wood at the area I would be cutting, all seemed fine, I did my open face notch with a bore/plunge cut. When I had the bar out of the tree after doing the bore/plunge cut I could hear the cracking so I was off through my escape route, no barber chair but it cut loose before I could cut the back.

In picture 4760 you can see where the rot had worked its way back and picture 4761 was my escape route, I was down past the maple near the smaller tree.

104_4756.JPG

104_4758.JPG

104_4759.JPG

104_4760.JPG

104_4761.JPG

Reactions: Dieselhead
I moved the last face cord of three that I had stacked in a hardwood area since last summer/fall to the softwood area. Another hour of stacking and the last stack will be full for a total of 12 face cord of softwood.

The pine in picture 4762 is/was stacked in a hardwood area, 4763 is the pine moved to the softwood area.

104_4762.JPG

104_4763.JPG

The only bit of work I did today was finish the above stack of wood with more pine.

Truck load of some free red maple and unknown wood split on site. Unknown possibly beech? Definitely not maple. Heavier and denser than maple. Splits like oak. Anyone have an idea?

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

Tried to split some of this today - wow is it hard! The X27 just bounced right off. I was able to split some shorter pieces by working around the edges, but it’s really tough wood. We’ll see if it gets any easier after sitting for a while. Initially when I looked at the pile (lengths 12” to 16”) I was wishing more of the pieces were on the long side, but now I’m thinking shorter is better. 🤣

On the plus side, since there are some big limbs from this tree that hang over our house, I’m glad the wood is strong! And in fact the arborist said that he pretty much never sees healthy limbs from these London plane trees break off.
Yeah we have a bunch of those American Sycamore, Buttonwood, American Plane trees (all the same tree just different names) just down the street here in NJ.

It's brutal to split.

People call them London plane as well but i think they are a bit different. Not sure how to tell the difference between the American plane vs the London plane, but they both are gonna be putting up a fight when trying to split.

Thinking this might be sugar maple after looking closer at this. Looks much different than the red maple I’ve split before. What say you all?

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

Everyone else think that other wood is beech in the photos? That’s my best guess. Very heavy, like oak, grains like oak. thin smooth bark. Splits like oak too

All stacked up. Might go back for more later this week we shall see.

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
I haven't done chit the last two days (getting lazy) tomorrow I should start splitting & stacking the maple I brought down to the splitting area.

I hear you! I’m getting all I can done because come June I’m not doing anything for firewood for the house until fall
The bugs will get nasty once the hotter weather moves in, I usually end up doing work outside with the bugs getting their pound of flesh from me.

Last year I c/s/s more softwood ( 12 face cord) from dead pine on the house property, I only cut 4 to 6 face cord of hardwood last year. I think so far this year I've cut 6 or 8 face cord of hardwood with hopefully 1 more coming out of the woods before the end of May.

I split enough rounds of the maple and then stacked it for another face cord for a total of 60 in our wood inventory. I plan on c/s/s another face cord of hardwood before or by the end of May for a total of 61.

Pictures 4769 & 70 are 2 of the 4 loads I split today, 4771 is what's left of the maple rounds and 4772 are the splits I stacked today.

104_4769.JPG

104_4770.JPG

104_4771.JPG

104_4772.JPG

Your totals (61 fc hard wood) - for how many seasons is that?
Obviously it's not all for next year (hardwood 1 yr doesn't seem right..)

Your totals (61 fc hard wood) - for how many seasons is that?
Obviously it's not all for next year (hardwood 1 yr doesn't seem right..)
Back before we added shoulder season wood, 12 face cord of hardwood was 1 years worth but since we have shoulder season wood instead of burning 12 f/c we're burning 6 or 7 face cord of hardwood per year.

We also burn pellets, I'm not sure how many bags we burned this year but we still have 10 bags left. This coming heating season we might not buy any pellets but go with furnace when needed.

Reactions: stoveliker
I decided that the Cherry that's mostly up off the ground hung up on something will be my next project, that should give us another face cord plus .

104_4737.JPG

I'm not sure how I missed that the cherry was hung up in a second basswood that is also hung up in another basswood, but I did. There was a damaged small maple in picture 4775 that I bucked up and then fell what was left standing. After the main trunk was on the ground, I bucked that up.

My plan was to haul two loads out but when I was coming out of the woods with the first load, our neighbors were out so I stopped for a gab session and a cup of coffee. By the time we were done it was 2:45 so I called it a day.

104_4773.JPG

104_4774.JPG

104_4775.JPG

104_4777.JPG

104_4778.JPG

104_4779.JPG

Reactions: 30WCF and MRD1985