Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is the stack I worked on yesterday. It is form an outside pile. Moved under the overhang for next spring.
IMG_20240525_132921855_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240525_070933374_HDR.jpg

Working on the next row this morning before Church. Probably finish it tonight when it cools down
IMG_20240525_132937643_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240525_132941565_HDR.jpg

Need to start cutting for next year and the following year. I got behind. Been to busy working at work instead of home.

This is the stack I worked on yesterday. It is form an outside pile. Moved under the overhang for next spring.
Working on the next row this morning before Church. Probably finish it tonight when it cools down .

Need to start cutting for next year and the following year. I got behind. Been to busy working at work instead of home.
That's a great overhang/lean to. Must be nice to hve it full! I can relate re: not enough time off from work, to be home and work.
Tomorrow is a day off - but rain is forecast.

That will thankfully be changing come July. I asked to go part time, my employer complied. One of the 'Silver linings' of an older age,
along with the silver hair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinesmoke
Today I spent time behind the push mower but I did get the whole lawn done. The birch in picture 4328 & 29 came down in the winter, the picture is dated 12/31/23. Since then we have a small pine that broke off over the birch in picture 4328 that is hung up, I'll get that first and then see if any of the birch is good, if not, we'll use it in the outside fireplace.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Different work. I used Peel and Seal to re-cover the roof of my sunroom. (The roof is panels of aluminum sheet with 2-3" of cardboard honeycomb in between, and they started to deteriorate a bit.)
Rolls of 3 ft wide and 33.5 ft long. Had to cut around a roof window. Was quite the job. Yesterday from 3-7 pm, today from 10-3 pm. All done in time for the rain/storms tomorrow.

Today I removed a bunch of branches from the trails from the storm yesterday, I hooked up the trail mower and then did the trails around the house. I had a few more I was going to do but it needed gas, I let everything cool off while I had some lunch, I was almost done eating when the rains moved in so I put everything inside for the day.

The attached picture is the pine that is over the birch that's on the ground, hopefully the weather is nice enough tomorrow that I can take care of the pine and the birch.

Work Done 2024

It sure was, although I lost track of time a little and over cooked my steak a bit 🤦🏻‍♂️
I've done that, the wife wasn't mad but she did give me that look. ;hm

Had a large limb snap off behind my house. The tree was a one of those where the two trees grow together at the trunk and it wedged into the crotch. Was able to get it out by cutting between the crotch on an angle. Have some more that is down will get to that soon and then fire up the splitter.

Work Done 2024

Reactions: thewoodlands
Lol that splitter and the pikaroon that I bought saved my life. Had to figure it out the hard way but once I upgraded my extention cord for the splitter it completly changed how much power it got.

Not much for firewood work going on here, I found out that a friend of my parents passed so I made it to the funeral mass today.

Yesterday I did cook another 72 ounces of spaghetti sauce for the freezer, we should be set for the summer for sauce.

Today I did get the trails around the house mowed, once that was done, I grabbed the push mower and did some of the lawn before I called it a day.

The Chicken Breast Bone In ( bone side down) with a hot tomato salad will taste good tonight.

With the temps hitting the mid 80's tomorrow, followed by rain coming in after that, I ended up mowing the lawn around the house with the push mower.

We usually clean the gutters out earlier but since everything was fine we didn't, the big old pines plugged a few with needles so this morning with the wife holding the step ladder, we cleaned a total of five. The back was the worst with the gutter over the garage door coming in second, all the rest were pretty clean.

After cleaning the gutters, I had two more trails that needed mowing so I hooked up the trail mower, all the trails are done for another week or more.........hopefully.

Finally got all my wood out back. I have about 10.5 cords on hand which on current pace is 3-4 years ahead. 90% red oak and the rest is maple and ash. Old style racks on the left, new storage area to the right and behind. All I see is $$$ 😎.

Work Done 2024

That'll have cost some sweating, given the time of the year....

That'll have cost some sweating, given the time of the year....
Yeah. I had it all processed back in February in the driveway but then we had a very wet spring so I couldn't move it out back without destroying the yard with the tractor. I also had this streak of rain on every day I had off so we finally got it done last week a solid 3 months later. Thankfully the driveway is shaded in the evening and stacking on pallets with a back is super easily.

I absolutely hate doing anything firewood related over 60 degrees. I like to work in the cold. Sometimes mother nature says F you though!

Sometimes mother nature says F you though!
Summer of '20 one of the neighbors up north called me insane because the one day I had helpers to take down a 30" diameter 90' tall white pine just happened to be mid 90's and humid. I can't help mother nature has a twisted sense of humor...

I lied. Stumbled across some oak on the side of my road 2 streets over from my house. A out 1/2-to 2/3 cord worth. Decent stuff, not the best but oak is oak. Didn’t go crazy I am not in dire need of wood. The rest of the stuff is 25-30+“ in diameter so it will take a little work to take the rest (though I did cut just a few of the huge pieces off and processed them).

Also going to give these plastic trays a try instead of pallets.

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

Addict.
And that is a compliment!

I lied. Stumbled across some oak on the side of my road 2 streets over from my house. A out 1/2-to 2/3 cord worth. Decent stuff, not the best but oak is oak. Didn’t go crazy I am not in dire need of wood. The rest of the stuff is 25-30+“ in diameter so it will take a little work to take the rest (though I did cut just a few of the huge pieces off and processed them).

Also going to give these plastic trays a try instead of pallets.

View attachment 327701

View attachment 327702

View attachment 327704

View attachment 327705

View attachment 327706
Never enough firewood until the boss says no!