Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I also did some trail maintenance in the gully where I felled the ash, hopefully by the middle of next week, I can pull the splitter down where the bucked up ash rounds are. I did use the 4540 to move some bigger dead pine.

Attachments

• 101_9114.JPG
    101_9114.JPG
    757.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 101_9115.JPG
    101_9115.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 101_9119.JPG
    101_9119.JPG
    777.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 101_9120.JPG
    101_9120.JPG
    786 KB · Views: 188
  • 101_9121.JPG
    101_9121.JPG
    775.3 KB · Views: 180
Nice pics of the dogs EODMsgt my two labs are my woods/ wood cutting buddies. My older lab likes to venture away on his own. With all the coyote's lately people have said to keep an eye of for them. Your shepherds would stand a better chance than my two but no dog owner wants to have that interaction happen. All that locust I got a few posts ago was the same I had to carry all up the side of one of our tower rightaways. It was a rough day. View attachment 244238

Labs are great dogs! The bear and coyote give my spread a wide berth with these two on guard. That's a nice haul of locust you have there. Lot of work hauling each piece out by hand but it adds an old school feel to the whole thing and makes me appreciate it that much more every time I throw a piece in the stove.

Got half a cord done today. Going to go through my other stack of logs and buck everything that's too small for milling tomorrow if it's dry enough. I hate trying to process wood when it's slick. . I'm hoping for more dry weather since my grading attachment is inbound. Maybe in another month I'll have the mill set up.

Attachments

• 20190518_154455.jpg
    20190518_154455.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 20190518_154839.jpg
    20190518_154839.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 177
Got half a cord done today. Going to go through my other stack of logs and buck everything that's too small for milling tomorrow if it's dry enough. I hate trying to process wood when it's slick. . I'm hoping for more dry weather since my grading attachment is inbound. Maybe in another month I'll have the mill set up.
Nice work @SpaceBus , it's nice to have some nice weather but soon we'll be complaining about the bugs.

This morning I decided to check a cherry tree that is in the middle of the gully I've been cleaning up, it showed signs of ant damage so we put the cable on it and felled it.

Pic 9124 is the 4540 getting ready to pull the log up the hill, 9125 is the stump, 9126 is the bottom of the log,9127 is the cherry log up the hill, 9128 is my back saver,9129 is some clearing of dead pine in the gully,9130 is a white pine with pileated woodpecker damage and the last pic is the gully opened up on that end.

Attachments

• 101_9124.JPG
    101_9124.JPG
    750.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 101_9125.JPG
    101_9125.JPG
    770.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 101_9126.JPG
    101_9126.JPG
    782.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 101_9127.JPG
    101_9127.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 101_9128.JPG
    101_9128.JPG
    754.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 101_9129.JPG
    101_9129.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 101_9130.JPG
    101_9130.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 101_9131.JPG
    101_9131.JPG
    683.2 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: heavy hammer
I've had a few trees around here with the dark and soft heart wood. One of the trees I pruned had monster (for a fir tree) 10" limbs but the inside looked weird. I split the remainder of the limb at the widest part and the center was dark, sticky, and very wet. It broke/flaked off easy. Usually when I see punky wood it's the same color as the rest, so this is somewhat new to me. Is this just rot? Makes me think the parent tree should come down, but it's one of the larger trees on our property.

After I get all the ash bucked up, split and some of it stacked, I'll grab this maple on our property I do most of the cutting on.

Attachments

• 101_1985.JPG
    101_1985.JPG
    838.9 KB · Views: 185
You have a ton of wonderful mature trees! I'm jealous. A "big" tree on our land is anything over 20"

Reactions: thewoodlands
You have a ton of wonderful mature trees! I'm jealous. A "big" tree on our land is anything over 20"
Every so often we get a few big trees down, especially from high winds or an occasional microburst but most trees that are down or damaged can be taken care of with a 20 inch bar.

I'm not sure what year it was we had our last micro burst but I still have cherry down from that but with EAB in our county, I'm grabbing ash this spring & fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Getting ready to dive into some standing dead Ash tomorrow. Hopefully it will fill the shed. All died this past winter from EAB and too saturated ground from creek flooding nearby.
Watch those tops on the EAB infected trees, stay safe.

We have some iffy weather the next two days so I'll sharpen a bunch of chains today. Tomorrow could be our worst day, high winds.

It's cloudy, but dry, so in an hour or so when I'm more awake (had coffee) I'll go out and cut. I've got two super sharp chains which should be enough for all day.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Everyone that has ash seems to be saying about the same nice straight trees that are all dead or dying. While mowing yesterday I noticed another ash that needs removed it's a smaller one about 8 to 10 inch diameter. EODMsgt I know it sounds stupid but after a tough day processing wood weather it is hauling splitting cutting etc. It gives you a great feeling, like you said in the winter when filling the stove it feels that much better. Me my father and my brother were splitting wood at his property a couple weeks ago. It is hard work splitting by hand but it's good times reminds me when we were kids in the woods with Dad. To many people would rather see the world behind the screen of a computer or a phone than be out there in.

Well, rain came and I only split about two tractor (FEL bucket) loads of wood before reaching my cold and wet limit. Before I started splitting I bucked a whole tank a fuel worth with the 460, but didn't get it all split yet.

Most of the sub 6" stuff like saplings and tops are being saved for future projects. I'm going to try and get a small corral and stall built for an alpaca before summer is over. The soft ground is slowing progress.

I spent some time this morning sharpening chains, 16,18 and some 20 inch chains so I should be set. I have another 20 & 25 inch chain soaking in some fluid to clean the chains, they both were used on that dirty cherry.

We hit 75 today with the temps starting to fall with a storm headed our way with possible wind gust of 50 mph.

I spent some time this morning sharpening chains, 16,18 and some 20 inch chains so I should be set. I have another 20 & 25 inch chain soaking in some fluid to clean the chains, they both were used on that dirty cherry.

We hit 75 today with the temps starting to fall with a storm headed our way with possible wind gust of 50 mph.

Yesterday, after about the same amount of processing, I forgot to take any pics but I did make a huge pot of pasta sauce from scratch. I added some mushrooms for "meatballs" and some crumbled up vegetarian "sausage" and it was like a guilt free fake meat sauce. Honestly it's probably the best pasta sauce I've ever had and I used to live in Italy. I made something similar for my mother in law with store bought sauce and she couldn't even tell there wasn't any meat in it. Now that I know you like cooking I'll have to remember photos. About a week ago I made some lamb vindaloo from scratch.

Every so often we get a few big trees down, especially from high winds or an occasional microburst but most trees that are down or damaged can be taken care of with a 20 inch bar.

I'm not sure what year it was we had our last micro burst but I still have cherry down from that but with EAB in our county, I'm grabbing ash this spring & fall.
One night while in the RV it starts raining and getting windy, so I go out to put the awning away. At this time I was still smoking, so I lit one up and texted my wife about how crappy the weather is while she was at work. I didn't even hit send before my first ever micro burst experience resulted in the awning being thrown over the roof of the RV ripping the arms off the side of the bus. It was terrifying, and I've done some scary chit.

One night while in the RV it starts raining and getting windy, so I go out to put the awning away. At this time I was still smoking, so I lit one up and texted my wife about how crappy the weather is while she was at work. I didn't even hit send before my first ever micro burst experience resulted in the awning being thrown over the roof of the RV ripping the arms off the side of the bus. It was terrifying, and I've done some scary chit.
They sure are, I got caught in the last big one we had but I finally made it to the nearest store, I thought the roof was coming off. A tree came down on a car on the state highway but the town or state guys were able to get her out.

It looks like the heavier storms will stay south of us.

It looks like the heavier storms will stay south of us.
I saw thunderstorms forecast locally. So far this will be the first here in Maine for me, if any storms come. East of the Appalachian mountains in NC thunderstorms roll though every other day. I almost miss the thunder.

Resized_20190519_132542_8102.jpeg Resized_20190519_150110_1785 (1).jpeg I was able to move all that wood today before the rain moved in

Reactions: thewoodlands